Non drivers in NZ

Old May 25th 2018, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Uchisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non drivers in NZ

Hello,

I'm planning about moving to NZ by the end of the year. I'm currently learning to drive.
is it worth taking the driving test in the Uk. I'm considering waiting until I move to NZ as I saw i would need to retake the test over there. It seems a bit silly to pay for both...
what I'm worried is I would be left as a non driver for possibly a couple of months. Is it difficult to get about without a car? How are transports? And if I live in a village or suburban have they got plenty local food shops?

thanks
Old May 25th 2018, 11:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non drivers in NZ

would be a lot easier to get it in the UK and convert it to NZ. All you need to do to convert is go to AA Shop, have a eye test, have your photo taken and pay you money. You can actually drive in NZ on a UK licence for a year so not hurry to get it converted. at
If you want to wait until you get to NZ you will need to sit a theory test to allow you to take lessons, you then need a restricted licence test that allows you to drive on your own at certain times of the day, then you need to go for your full.

As for public transport/shops depends where you live.
Old May 26th 2018, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
would be a lot easier to get it in the UK and convert it to NZ. All you need to do to convert is go to AA Shop, have a eye test, have your photo taken and pay you money. You can actually drive in NZ on a UK licence for a year so not hurry to get it converted. at
If you want to wait until you get to NZ you will need to sit a theory test to allow you to take lessons, you then need a restricted licence test that allows you to drive on your own at certain times of the day, then you need to go for your full.

As for
I think NZTA have tightened things up recently and it might get more complicated to convert an overseas licence if that licence is very recent (or also from certain countries). I would still be inclined to get the licence in the UK though because you can drive on it in New Zealand for twelve moths which should be enough time to sort the rest out.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...river-licence/
Old May 26th 2018, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

My UK/EURO licence expired a while back as did my OZ licence. I cannot renew either as no longer a resident.

I printed off my old Uk license details using my old Uk address. I wonder if they would accept that )doubt it.
Old May 26th 2018, 6:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
My UK/EURO licence expired a while back as did my OZ licence. I cannot renew either as no longer a resident.

I printed off my old Uk license details using my old Uk address. I wonder if they would accept that )doubt it.
If it has expired less than 12 months ago you can still convert it
Old May 26th 2018, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
If it has expired less than 12 months ago you can still convert it
sadly, it expired about 6 years ago, i have been away a long time. yet i can still print a paper version based upon my old address
Old May 26th 2018, 6:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

sadly, it expired about 6 years ago, i have been away a long time. yet i can still print a paper version based upon my old address
Your UK license doesn't expire until you age out at 70 unless you lose it through something illegal in the UK,
Old May 26th 2018, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Your UK license doesn't expire until you age out at 70 unless you lose it through something illegal in the UK,
Yes you are correctwhich is probably why the paperprint out is still avaiable

You cannot however re-acquire the plastic photo card version if you are outside of the EU. You also need a EU address for the new plastic, Whilst UK is still in the EU!! I tried to get a new Uk license as was told very clearly that i would need to submit my passport and have a Uk residence for the application to proceed. Telling fibs about a Uk address does not sit with me, so i did not proceed
Old May 26th 2018, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Uchisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both. I'll try to get it in the UK although I like the NZ idea of having two stages for the practical test.
Old May 26th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my original UK green paper license which wont run out till im 70, I never converted to the plastic ID card type.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Please check regulations. I believe recent changes mean that you can't just go into an AA shop and get one anymore unless you have held licence for two years. Son of a friend had to retake test in NZ and he failed.