Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NOISE POLLUTION – WEEKEND NIGHTMARE

NOISE POLLUTION – WEEKEND NIGHTMARE

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:48 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default NOISE POLLUTION – WEEKEND NIGHTMARE

Here we are in beautiful New Zealand on a Saturday night 23.45 and the thudding starts as usual, we stay in a good area and have spoken to the neighbours and many folk have complained about theses louts with zero respect. As per many other issues - nothig gets done.

Of course the thudding music is drowned by the hoons screaming up the roads

Heard that in Milford (an upmarket area of Auckland) people are moving out their million $ homes because of the youth on the rampage on the weekends, smashing cars, bottles and racing up & down with their portable discos.

I’m sure I will get some advice from the BE memners to start a campaign on this one also

Lets face it, there is nothing stopping these louts from doing as they please and the will probably be sleeping till noon tomorrow.

Tried phoning the noise control centre and they ask if I have gone and spoken to them, is there any violence? How many people are in the house?

Many times we go to the beach it ends up with the louts arriving with their drainpipe exhausts and screeching tyres.

How come if New Zealand is such a beautiful place and so clean green that this type of behaviour seems to be acceptable?

Personally I see these things as part of the real reasons that people are bailing outta here & over to Oz, as things just seem out of control here.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOISE POLLUTION – WEEKEND NIGHTMARE

Originally Posted by Campbells
Here we are in beautiful New Zealand on a Saturday night 23.45 and the thudding starts as usual, we stay in a good area and have spoken to the neighbours and many folk have complained about theses louts with zero respect. As per many other issues - nothig gets done.

Of course the thudding music is drowned by the hoons screaming up the roads

Heard that in Milford (an upmarket area of Auckland) people are moving out their million $ homes because of the youth on the rampage on the weekends, smashing cars, bottles and racing up & down with their portable discos.

I’m sure I will get some advice from the BE memners to start a campaign on this one also

Lets face it, there is nothing stopping these louts from doing as they please and the will probably be sleeping till noon tomorrow.

Tried phoning the noise control centre and they ask if I have gone and spoken to them, is there any violence? How many people are in the house?

Many times we go to the beach it ends up with the louts arriving with their drainpipe exhausts and screeching tyres.

How come if New Zealand is such a beautiful place and so clean green that this type of behaviour seems to be acceptable?

Personally I see these things as part of the real reasons that people are bailing outta here & over to Oz, as things just seem out of control here.
Sorry to hear of your irritations to put it mildly. Alas big city normally = big problems. Whilst there are issues here in Palmerston North I live well within the city limits but have never, ever lived anywhere so peaceful..and extra-ordinarily tranquil. Very affordable homes too. Way too many people slag Palmy off, but its quiet, traffic congestion free and has sooooooooooooo much to do.

I doubt I will ever leave what is my paradise..sad but true, Palmy is my nirvana......certainly in relation to the shite neighbourhood I left in Northampton UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:25 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I doubt I will ever leave what is my paradise..sad but true, Palmy is my nirvana......certainly in relation to the shite neighbourhood I left in Northampton UK.
You always sound so happy - more karma for that
In spite of knowing about the problems here in New Zealand, I have never encountered them myself - apart from a major police incident involving what I assume was a joyrider right outside my house in a sleepy cul-de-sac in Hamilton early one morning.
I have found New Zealand to be exactly what I thought it would be. I didn't come here expecting it to be the land of milk and honey but it has surpassed my expectations
And if that makes me a 'happy clappy', so be it.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:31 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Campbells, I'm feeling your pain. Though you often put things in a way that makes Mr or Mrs average reader feel like the sky is falling in, in this instance you have put your finger on the pulse of a very real issue. The tuth is that Friday and Saturday nights see me waking up on numerous occasions to noisy cars, screeching wheels and the lovely (not!) pschuuhhh of turbo dump valves. In fact, sitting here now in central ChCh at 00.30 with the windows shut I can still hear them.

We've 'got used' to them, but I imagine my soon-to-arrive sis in law + hubby and 2 kids may soon have something to say on the matter.

ChCh news is now often reporting on this problem as tourists staying on motels on the main drag have really started to complain, and I feel that it makes it an issue that affects all - not just the teens in their $2k nissan skylines with no insurance that perpetrate these crimes. It's us, the victims, that really need a result.

What that result will be, with the current punishments available (points and fines - the fines which 18 year olds compete about 'who has he most!') I have no idea...
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

That's definitely not the Milford I recognise! The streets around Takapuna and Milford seem pretty quiet after five o'clock to me. But, it could be that all this happens near the shore. That's one of the disadvantages of being near the sea. The yobs all want to be beside the seaside too, and they come with their screeching cars and loud music. The back streets don't seem to suffer as much from this.

But I agree, loud throbbing music can drive you crazy, especially as it's inevitably crap music. Mr. Whitesand explains to me that's it's something about the bass not being adjusted properly that causes the reverbations.

That's why you must go round any potential place in the evening, especially on Saturday evening, and also during the afternoons at the weekend, to see if it is noisy and that is why you must have only a three week notice rental so that if it gets too noisy you can simply up and leave.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:55 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Campbells, I'm feeling your pain. Though you often put things in a way that makes Mr or Mrs average reader feel like the sky is falling in, in this instance you have put your finger on the pulse of a very real issue. The tuth is that Friday and Saturday nights see me waking up on numerous occasions to noisy cars, screeching wheels and the lovely (not!) pschuuhhh of turbo dump valves. In fact, sitting here now in central ChCh at 00.30 with the windows shut I can still hear them.

We've 'got used' to them, but I imagine my soon-to-arrive sis in law + hubby and 2 kids may soon have something to say on the matter.

ChCh news is now often reporting on this problem as tourists staying on motels on the main drag have really started to complain, and I feel that it makes it an issue that affects all - not just the teens in their $2k nissan skylines with no insurance that perpetrate these crimes. It's us, the victims, that really need a result.

What that result will be, with the current punishments available (points and fines - the fines which 18 year olds compete about 'who has he most!') I have no idea...
Good God! On re-reading my post I have just realised that I am turning old!

<ahem> years ago it would have been me in those cars, screeching those wheels, drinking those beers, making that noise. Funny how a few years changes your view on things isn't it?

On reflection - this is an issue that law should approach directly with vehicle confiscation for those really takng the piss. Those who are legal - what can plod do 'till the law supports them...?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

BExpat is on a distinguished road

Can't you just call noise control and complain? Maybe your city council is rather useless - but mostly when noise gets to me i'd just call them and someone would come to quiet them down in 10 or so minutes.

Complain a few more times and whatever they're making the noise with gets confiscated. THat's only for noise coming from houses though - can't do anything about hoons.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:01 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells

You must enjoy being a complete and utter defeatist. You brag about it often enough. "Oh woe is me, pity me! Pity me! Pity me!" Seriously dude or whatever you are, get a grip and take a stand. You are seriously a complainer and whiner par excellence!!! Maybe you could earn some cash on the side teaching people how to moan, whine and complain like you do? Oh wait, that would require effort, so that rules that out...
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:33 pm
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Cool Re: NOISE POLLUTION – WEEKEND NIGHTMARE

Originally Posted by Maz
You must enjoy being a complete and utter defeatist. You brag about it often enough. "Oh woe is me, pity me! Pity me! Pity me!" Seriously dude or whatever you are, get a grip and take a stand. You are seriously a complainer and whiner par excellence!!! Maybe you could earn some cash on the side teaching people how to moan, whine and complain like you do? Oh wait, that would require effort, so that rules that out...
mmmk, I think I may move to Chicago as I hear it's fantastic. I wonder if anyone will whine & moan about the USA
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:35 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
mmmk, I think I may move to Chicago as I hear it's fantastic. I wonder if anyone will whine & moan about the USA
Oh please, go right ahead. This'll be good for a laugh.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:16 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karonious
You always sound so happy - more karma for that
In spite of knowing about the problems here in New Zealand, I have never encountered them myself - apart from a major police incident involving what I assume was a joyrider right outside my house in a sleepy cul-de-sac in Hamilton early one morning.
I have found New Zealand to be exactly what I thought it would be. I didn't come here expecting it to be the land of milk and honey but it has surpassed my expectations
And if that makes me a 'happy clappy', so be it.
Hey Mod,

Where do you stay ?

Maybe I just have high standards of expectations, considering that NZ housing prices are one of the highest ( rated 3rd ) in the world and that taxes are very high I would expect that problems that really do exist would be sorted.

A kind of value for money outllook I would say rather than too high expectations.

Mind you if you consider leaky homes, that also may not be a problem that you have experinced but certainly exists in New Zealand and most folk would see that as a basic expectation.

So whilst New Zealand in your eyes is "sweet as " there are folk experincing real problems here.

It seems a common response when people point out / raise a discussion / topic of problems in NZ to say, well where I stay we don't have that problem.

If people did come to New Zealand expecting it to be the land of milk & honey, I wonder what would give that false impression

Have a nice peaceful Sunday
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
Oh please, go right ahead. This'll be good for a laugh.
Um, yeah, I think you need to pull your head in a wee bit Maz. I remember how many times you have whinged about Chicago....
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by whitesand
That's definitely not the Milford I recognise! The streets around Takapuna and Milford seem pretty quiet after five o'clock to me. But, it could be that all this happens near the shore. That's one of the disadvantages of being near the sea. The yobs all want to be beside the seaside too, and they come with their screeching cars and loud music. The back streets don't seem to suffer as much from this.

But I agree, loud throbbing music can drive you crazy, especially as it's inevitably crap music. Mr. Whitesand explains to me that's it's something about the bass not being adjusted properly that causes the reverbations.

That's why you must go round any potential place in the evening, especially on Saturday evening, and also during the afternoons at the weekend, to see if it is noisy and that is why you must have only a three week notice rental so that if it gets too noisy you can simply up and leave.
Hello Mrs Whitesand,

I think you are correct re the yobs wanting to beside the sea but the problem is that once they have drunk themselves pretty there they then head off to whereever at whatever noise levels and of course then the journey home.

I hear the local hoons returning chorus every Friday & Sat night or should I say Sat & Sun morning from around 02 00 to 04 00.

So in conclusion, I am glad you agree the problem exists.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton

Thank you & point taken
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:27 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to get a stinger so I could pop the tyres of the muppets who speed past my house!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.