British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   No travel insurance if it's one-way?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/no-travel-insurance-if-its-one-way-903277/)

KarinaR Sep 13th 2017 8:39 am

No travel insurance if it's one-way?!

This may be a bit of a silly question but my partner and I are moving out in 2 weeks and I've suddenly realised we've not thought about insurance.
Normally when you go on holiday you get travel insurance.. but as this is a one-way ticket, I'm not sure what to do! What insurance have other expats used? If any!? Thank you!

Sparkleydiva Sep 13th 2017 10:05 am

Re: No travel insurance if it's one-way?!

Originally Posted by KarinaR (Post 12337080)
This may be a bit of a silly question but my partner and I are moving out in 2 weeks and I've suddenly realised we've not thought about insurance.
Normally when you go on holiday you get travel insurance.. but as this is a one-way ticket, I'm not sure what to do! What insurance have other expats used? If any!? Thank you!

You have to shop around as many of the usual providers don't always cover a one-way ticket, but I would highly recommend you get insurance. Last year when we travelled from AKL to LHR via LAX, my DH collapsed about 3 hours into the second leg of the flight. Thankfully with my nursing background and store cupboard of meds we got him sorted but don't be without it!

ps. It's usually quite expensive compared to standard travel insurance.

moneypenny20 Sep 14th 2017 5:36 am

Most of the insurance companies don't mention one way on their websites. You have to go old school and call them. The Post Office used to offer one of the best deals, no idea if they still do. Gowalkabout is another (think that's the name, it's been a while). Also look out for policies that end the moment you cross passport control. You don't want one of those. You should be able to get covered for your journey plus about 15 days after. This gives you time to find NZ household contents insurance. You may not be carrying much but you do not want it stolen two days after landing and have no cover.

nikkijane88 Sep 14th 2017 6:19 am

We used this company. Hubby only remembered the morning I was taking him to the airport. Then used them for our dog and for me! They were really good.

http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/one_way_travel_insurance.php

Robbie2010 Sep 14th 2017 9:32 am

I didn't bother ... but its your choice as to whether you want to take the risk.

simonsi Sep 15th 2017 12:51 am

Why do you want travel insurance if you aren't travelling?

Just arrive here and buy private medical insurance if that is what you want to do.

If you want cover for the journey itself then get the airline to add it then buy private medical once here.

Pulaski Sep 15th 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12337869)
I didn't bother ... but its your choice as to whether you want to take the risk.

I agree, but you should be realistic about the risk you are taking, in other words, what is your general state of health like?

KarinaR Sep 15th 2017 7:57 am

Thank you for all of the advice :) . We are both under 35 and healthy so it probably will be fine... but Go Walkabout which was suggested above looks very reasonable so I may go with that just to be on the safe side!! Thanks everyone :)

moneypenny20 Sep 15th 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by KarinaR (Post 12338596)
Thank you for all of the advice :) . We are both under 35 and healthy so it probably will be fine... but Go Walkabout which was suggested above looks very reasonable so I may go with that just to be on the safe side!! Thanks everyone :)

Tbh the health aspect didn't really occur to us. We were more concerned with the items we were bringing with us. All jewellery, laptops, clothes to last us until our container arrived, official documents etc. We didn't know how long we were going to be in our initial accommodation and knew we had better things to do without sorting out contents insurance two minutes after landing.

Bo-Jangles Sep 15th 2017 11:12 am

Whilst our health may be good at this precise moment, we all live on the edge where things can change unexpectedly in a split second, all kinds of things can and do go wrong when travelling. If you get taken ill on the plane and have to be offloaded, need a Doctor en route, fall and break a bone minutes after landing, lose bags or have stuff stolen then it could easily become a very costly day out.

I count my blessings that no such misfortune has happened to me over many years of travelling but all of the above have happened to people we know in recent times.

Esme61 Sep 16th 2017 6:30 am

We used STA travel insurance for one way, was reasonable and piece of mind UK - NZ.

Justcol Sep 16th 2017 8:38 am

Didnt bother

MOSO Sep 17th 2017 7:20 am

We came via the US - so definitely had insurance. Medical costs could be astronomical if the unexpected happened. We used the Post Office one-way insurance which also covered us for the first couple of weeks in NZ which is useful as it means you have medical cover before you've registered with a GP.