Reload this Page >

No room at the inn!!!

No room at the inn!!!

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

bodybalance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No room at the inn!!!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time doing this sort of thing. Not even registered with Facebook....granted that this probably puts me in the minority.

We are looking at the possibility of doing the deed and migrating south where league plays second fiddle to union (how rude is that). I know this is a boring introduction as I am probably only the tenth thousand person to say this but now that the boring stuff is out of the way, time to get down to business.

I have recently being told by a neighbour and friend that Brits in NZ have been told to leave NZ to allow Kiwis the option to take their jobs with the employment market being in a turbulent state at the moment (you are not the only ones matey!) This has applied to both those on Work Permits and holding Residents visas. I have been told this from the neighbours relative and through a newspaper article.

Does anyone down there know of such situations that have arisen. It's a long way to go to work for two years, be refused a Residents Visa to allow a Kiwi to step into my shoes and then say thanks but no thanks the airport is that way me old mucker!!

Any comments greatly received.

Stephen
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: No room at the inn!!!

I'm sure that there will be some people along real soon who will put you stright on a few things! Don't always believe what the papers or your neighbours tell you! I'm sure that a few people (my sis included) on this forum with PR's would be a bit more vocal if they thought that they were going to be asked to leave their jobs!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bodybalance
Hi everyone,

This is my first time doing this sort of thing. Not even registered with Facebook....granted that this probably puts me in the minority.
Welcome to the NZ BE

We are looking at the possibility of doing the deed and migrating south where league plays second fiddle to union (how rude is that). I know this is a boring introduction as I am probably only the tenth thousand person to say this but now that the boring stuff is out of the way, time to get down to business.
OK , but if you are interested in talking with others already in NZ or who are going through the process of emigrating to New Zealand just pop along to the main NZ forum or into Immy to meet & chat

I have recently being told by a neighbour and friend that Brits in NZ have been told to leave NZ to allow Kiwis the option to take their jobs with the employment market being in a turbulent state at the moment (you are not the only ones matey!) This has applied to both those on Work Permits and holding Residents visas. I have been told this from the neighbours relative and through a newspaper article.

I think we are all aware of the media hysteria on both sides of the globe surrounding the story of the Kemp family and their temporary work permit situation. There has now been several posts and threads asking about this. Perhaps it's time I made one thread about this situation and post up my opinion as I see it. Anyone else with opinions , views or facts can post onto that. Of course, it would come better from the Kemp family but they don't post here.

For the time being :-
People with Permanent Residents visas are just that - permanent residents. They could not be pushed out of their NZ jobs to make way for an NZ citizen. They would not be deported from NZ unless their PR was revoked. It is unlikely to be revoked unless they became serious crims or it was proven they made a completely false application in the first place.

People on temporary work visas and permits are on just that...temporary. Whether or not a temporary work permit is renewed is dependant on a number of factors.
One of which is that there is no NZ resident or citizen for that job. This is done via a labour market test. There are shortage lists stating which occupations do not seem to have enough NZ residents or citizens to fill all the vacancies. This is an over simplification but essentially it's the basic rule.

New Zealand has always had a policy of jobs going to NZ residents and citizens first. This is not new. It has been like that for decades.

This is recession. It is wise to be cautious and prudent .

Does anyone down there know of such situations that have arisen. It's a long way to go to work for two years, be refused a Residents Visa to allow a Kiwi to step into my shoes and then say thanks but no thanks the airport is that way me old mucker!!
Any comments greatly received.
Stephen
If by 'situation' you are referring to the recent article about the Kemp family, then the above does not apply to them from what I have read.

If you come into NZ on a temporary work visa and permit , then it is a risk you take that the permit may not be renewed at the end of it's life.

With a Work to Residence visa , it is somewhat different. ( there are a couple of types of WTR) Provided you can remain with your employer for the 2 years , then you are eligible to apply for PR. . You certainly wouldn't be turned down for PR and booted out of the country at the end of the 2 years. You would, however, have needed to remain employed in the named occupation for those two years & for that occupation to have remained on the shortage list. Again, this is an over-simplification
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

bodybalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone,

Your comments are very much appreciated and have helped clarify the situation.

Stephen
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank goodness for that.