British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   No Electricity (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/no-electricity-844483/)

Hebe Oct 5th 2014 5:11 am

No Electricity

So we are getting ready for a night without power - had nothing since 2 am. Candles bought, phone charged from car, fire on. Let's hope they sort it by tomorrow as not sure how long the food will last in the freezer!

BEVS Oct 5th 2014 5:16 am

Re: No Electricity

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 11428172)
So we are getting ready for a night without power - had nothing since 2 am. Candles bought, phone charged from car, fire on. Let's hope they sort it by tomorrow as not sure how long the food will last in the freezer!

We had a power outage on Friday.
Cue the quake kit but it came back on later in the day.

MrsFychan Oct 5th 2014 7:25 am

was reading in Stuff about the problems up your way, apparently a couple of fires at a substation. means traffic in the morning will be dreadful so hope you haven't got to use the car much

chocolate cake Oct 5th 2014 8:31 am

Alright at home here out East, but been in work today :( because of the power outage. Seems we'll be effected tomorrow too.

Buzzy--Bee Oct 5th 2014 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 11428172)

When I was living in NZ in the late 1990s the whole CBD of Auckland was without power for several weeks! Many companies ran on generators and some even relocated to Australia!!!

......she'll be right.......

BB

RobClubley Oct 5th 2014 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 11428794)
When I was living in NZ in the late 1990s the whole CBD of Auckland was without power for several weeks! Many companies ran on generators and some even relocated to Australia!!!

......she'll be right.......

BB

I heard about that. Kelly Tarlton's got flooded because the city's sewage pumps weren't running.

Harden up, Jafas :D

Robbo25 Oct 6th 2014 12:03 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11428921)
I heard about that. Kelly Tarlton's got flooded because the city's sewage pumps weren't running.

Harden up, Jafas :D

Rob, there were things like coffee shops without power in Remuera for a whole day..........how does anyone cope with that!!??

RobClubley Oct 6th 2014 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 11428955)
Rob, there were things like coffee shops without power in Remuera for a whole day..........how does anyone cope with that!!??

I heard some people couldn't take their Porsche Cayenne Turbos out because their electric garage doors and gates wouldn't open.

Robbo25 Oct 6th 2014 12:20 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11428961)
I heard some people couldn't take their Porsche Cayenne Turbos out because their electric garage doors and gates wouldn't open.

I knew you'd empathise and see sense in the end :rofl:

anthony1972 Oct 6th 2014 4:00 am

Meadowbank, behind Purewa Cemetery, still no power. She'll be right? F... OFF!

MrsFychan Oct 6th 2014 4:34 am

did you guys get the earthquake as well?

LauraNotts Oct 6th 2014 5:14 am

Erf unfun. Thinking of you all up there. Down here it's prompted me to get my quake kit rechecked at least.

Stormer999 Oct 6th 2014 6:32 am

Big power cut problems seem to appear about 9 months later.....:lol:

Hebe Oct 6th 2014 6:33 am

Originally Posted by anthony1972 (Post 11429089)
Meadowbank, behind Purewa Cemetery, still no power. She'll be right? F... OFF!

Absolutely. Nearly 2 days now. All food ruined in fridge and freezer and only so much me and the hubbie can talk about!

Bo-Jangles Oct 6th 2014 7:18 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11428961)

Porsche or no Porsche it's a bit of a bugger and pretty much the same for anyone with an electric door opener on the garage - I got caught myself once thinking I could simply head off to work - doh!

When it first happens it can seem like a bit of a crisis, but after a while you learn to suck it up and be more prepared for the next time. The infrastructure is pretty fragile and we come to expect power to be off if the weather is particularly rough; to the point of being quite disappointed when it stays on. :lol: