Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nine month visitors visa

Nine month visitors visa

Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all
Default Nine month visitors visa

I believe I need a nine month (UK) visitors visa for NZ to be able to open a bank account over in NZ in September - however, search as I can, I just can't find the relevant application form. I've emailed the question to [email protected] but it bounces back as user unknown.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nine month visitors visa

Originally Posted by justinthyme
I believe I need a nine month (UK) visitors visa for NZ to be able to open a bank account over in NZ in September - however, search as I can, I just can't find the relevant application form. I've emailed the question to [email protected] but it bounces back as user unknown.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
I'm just opeining an account with kiwibank and they haven't even asked anything about visa status
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Justin,

I spoke to you previously about the boat.........We've just got our Visa's and are off in 2 weeks. Give me a shout when your coming over and we can get a days fishing.....

Cheers

Garry
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi J,

to start with you can open a bank account online from the UK without any visas...just go to the particular bank (we went to the National) you will need to email or fax proof of ID, e.g. copy of birth cert...that type of thing but you don't need a visa.

Secondly you can come to NZ on your UK passport for 6 months then when you are here you send off for a visitors visa which is for up to another 6 months. Go to www.immigration.govt.nz, left hand panel top selection Forms & Guides, 5th selection down Visit Forms & Guides, top selection Visiting New Zealand....but like I say if you want 9 months you don't need to apply until you have been here for 6.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:38 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi J,
Secondly you can come to NZ on your UK passport for 6 months then when you are here you send off for a visitors visa which is for up to another 6 months. Go to www.immigration.govt.nz, left hand panel top selection Forms & Guides, 5th selection down Visit Forms & Guides, top selection Visiting New Zealand....but like I say if you want 9 months you don't need to apply until you have been here for 6.

Hope this helps.
Just to be pedantic. You get a 6 months visitors visa and then you can apply for a 3 month extension. After that you can apply for a final 3 month extension making 12 months in total.

The website seems to imply that the first extension is given to anybody but the second (and final) extension is a bit trickier.

Does anybody have any experience of this?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Thanks all - looks like I was missled by the National Bank who quote

" Accounts are only available to persons who will be living in New Zealand for six months or more."

http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/person.../residents.htm

bottom of page.

----

Garry - I'm hoping to be over late September and look forward to catching a few snapper with you - will be in touch
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
Just to be pedantic. You get a 6 months visitors visa and then you can apply for a 3 month extension. After that you can apply for a final 3 month extension making 12 months in total.

The website seems to imply that the first extension is given to anybody but the second (and final) extension is a bit trickier.

Does anybody have any experience of this?
mmmm not our experience...my mum is over here on her passport, no visa needed for the first 6 months, we asked about extending her stay and were told we could apply for a 3 month visitor visa which can then be extended by another 3 months in certain cases. So it depends how long people want to stay if you only want 6 months then no need to apply for a visa at all you just come on your UK passport.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:16 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We decided to wait until our arrival in NZ to open an account. I opened a cheque account with no questions about visas (I'm on a tourist visa). I gather things like overdrafts and credit cards may be harder to obtain. I came over with no visa (they stamp your passport on arrival). What they ask when you arrive depends on the person at immigration and what sort of day they've had. Previously I've had a difficult time, other times, like most recently, they don't batter an eyelid. Immigration don't tend to advertise extensions to tourist visas, but with financial evidence, or support of family, there really shouldn't be a problem. The responses you've received have been really helpful, and generally when I've spoken to immigration, they've been really helpful.

Good luck!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:24 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
mmmm not our experience...my mum is over here on her passport, no visa needed for the first 6 months, we asked about extending her stay and were told we could apply for a 3 month visitor visa which can then be extended by another 3 months in certain cases.
Yes. The first 6 months is automatic. The next 3 months requires asking for an extension which seems to be given automatically.

But the final 3 months appears to be more discretionary...

But is it really? Or is it easy to get?