Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nice life UK. - posts moved from the picture thread Nice Life NZ

Nice life UK. - posts moved from the picture thread Nice Life NZ

Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:35 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice
Wink Nice life UK. - posts moved from the picture thread Nice Life NZ

All very nice no one says NZ not beautiful otherwise I would not live here to, but England is equally as beautiful and I had all the lovely views house gardens there to. Some are very quick to knock anyone that dares speak about NZ problems and they are usually the ones knocking UK, but it is not all Coranation Street as some would like you to believe.

Both countires are very pretty in their own right.

I must admit though England has far more open spaces due to us having accress to all land unlike NZ which is private a closed shop in many places.

Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Life in New Zealand

Originally Posted by St George Six
All very nice no one says NZ not beautiful otherwise I would not live here to, but England is equally as beautiful and I had all the lovely views house gardens there to. Some are very quick to knock anyone that dares speak about NZ problems and they are usually the ones knocking UK, but it is not all Coranation Street as some would like you to believe.

I must admit though England has far more open spaces due to us having accress to all land unlike NZ which is private a closed shop in many places.

I have to agree England is a beautiful place the only problem is its spoiled by some of the people that live here. In 20 years time I am sure they will drown in their own rubbish. I may be wrong but I did not see this in NZ. Here I can walk down a street and you will see young and old alike just drop whatever they do not want on to the pavement etc with no thought as to who has to shift it. I live close to where the so called Coronation Street is filmed and its not it is portrayed either.

June
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Life in New Zealand

This is a very important point that a lot of people dont realise until they get here. Still, this is the positive thread, so I wont take this any further here!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:18 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice
Default Re: Nice life UK. - posts moved from the picture thread Nice Life NZ

Unfortunately people litter all over NZ too no differant world over. We have some of the most polluted rivers in the world, many in Wellington have signs advising no swimming as they are so polluted, mind you the Thames was like that once untill it was cleaned up.

Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nice Life in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Browner_
This is a very important point that a lot of people dont realise until they get here. Still, this is the positive thread, so I wont take this any further here!
I found this quite interesting when i went back to the UK for holidays i really just couldnt get used to the fact that i could walk over peoples farmland without getting arrested for trespassing lol having owned a dairy farm in NZ for 25yrs it seemed most strange to me. But where there are no animals involved its a great thing i believe although my ex hubby who is a kiwi would have had a fit if he had seen someone walking across our farm because it was a dairy farm so therefore all fences were electric which could have made for an interesting ramble for some people lol (the problem here in NZ though is the OSH Occupational health and safety laws that if someone hurt themselves whilst on our property we were the ones that would cop it)
Cheers
Cally
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:44 am
Life's a beach

Its nice to have both NZ does hav plenty of places to explore, the Queens chain though is not always adhered to, I took a English friend who was over fly fishing near the picket fence in Taupo one year, and the area we were fishing although not private we were told not to come back the next day or our tyres would be slashed as we were on Maori land. So he went home with a pleasent memory of NZ.

Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:34 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder when I hear people claiming the 'right' to walk land how they'd feel if it was their land that was being invaded on a regular basis by people who are more interested in asserting their rights than they are about the damage they're doing.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:57 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I often wonder when I hear people claiming the 'right' to walk land how they'd feel if it was their land that was being invaded on a regular basis by people who are more interested in asserting their rights than they are about the damage they're doing.
the "right to roam" is a great thing along with public footpaths, bridleways, etc and sadly missed here in NZ.....people who oppose that principle most vehemently *usually* are scumbags or have something to hide - a certain slum-landlord who allegedly had business rivals killed springs to mind.......what was his name, Van Voogstraand - or something or other....???

I agree that it can be spoiled by some idiots but TBH land owners are only really custodians of the land.....IMHO of course....you'd think that in NZ that principle should be even more prominent than in the UK - I would have thought anyway???

Most responsible landowners in the UK have lived with "right to roam" for a while now and there seems to be little in the way of "gerroff my laaand" still being shouted at people enjoying the countryside???

And most of the land that it is any issue on is pretty remote - more so in NZ I'd suggest - and damage is minimal - certainly not "invading".......
But then I suppose I am often wrong...........
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
the "right to roam" is a great thing along with public footpaths, bridleways, etc and sadly missed here in NZ.....people who oppose that principle most vehemently *usually* are scumbags or have something to hide - a certain slum-landlord who allegedly had business rivals killed springs to mind.......what was his name, Van Voogstraand - or something or other....???

I agree that it can be spoiled by some idiots but TBH land owners are only really custodians of the land.....IMHO of course....you'd think that in NZ that principle should be even more prominent than in the UK - I would have thought anyway???

Most responsible landowners in the UK have lived with "right to roam" for a while now and there seems to be little in the way of "gerroff my laaand" still being shouted at people enjoying the countryside???

And most of the land that it is any issue on is pretty remote - more so in NZ I'd suggest - and damage is minimal - certainly not "invading".......
But then I suppose I am often wrong...........

I see your idea here, I am not a farmer, only related to one, but I don't think New Zealand farmers see themselves as 'custodians' of the land, at least not only. The New Zealand farmer is more of a business man/woman.
I was always hearing in the UK how the farmers were 'custodians' of the land, this was usually used in some sort of context that "we need our big subsidies because we are custodians of the land and we keep it pristine for you urbanites to drive through on your motorways!".

There are no subsidies here, its just a business like any other I think, the land has to be farmed and profits made. Although I understand there is a lot of lifestyle type farming about in this country as well where profit is not the motive.....
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There are many tenant farmers in the UK and as such are custodians. They do not own the land. It may well be owned by someone else. For instance National Trust land.

The issue of EU farm subsidies is extremely complicated .

Being a custodian of land and EU farm subsidies are two separate issues .

Such issues are not relevant to NZ .
Old Sep 28th 2008, 9:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

yes but property = theft........

roll on the glorious revolution

power to the people

anyway I was making a philosophical point rather than a geo-political one.
here there are many claims on the land and because of the disputes over it then surely there is even more of a tenous link between "ownership" in the legal sense and "rightful occupation" here in NZ than there is in the UK. This might explain reticence on the part of many different groups to allow "others" into "their land".

as far as whether or not a farmer can make a living from the land - then some might say that the european farmers should defend their land with more authority as they are not making the fat profits from dairying that NZ farmers are, hence they are more at risk of being put out of business than the farmers here...??

to me it all points to a new country with people being less at ease with others having some "right" over what they see as "theirs" compared to the UK where there is precident and a different set of rights and perhaps those who own land have the stability and history around them so that they can "grow up" and feel secure enough to allow others the freedom to "roam".

TBH the maturity of the UK as a nation probably explains quite a few of the advantages of living there over being in NZ............but that's just my opinion, yet again..............
Old Sep 28th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Is this an "lets all say how good the UK is", not just England, the UK does actually have 4 countries !!!!!!!!! I was born bred and brought up in Scotland and while it does have some amazing scenery I still think NZ tops is, just take the drive to Akaroa once you climb the hill ............ the views are amazing.

You cant even come close to comparing the UK to NZ, yes most major cities have their problems but the UK is plagued by them, I think most of these posts are from people with rose tinted glasses on thinking of the good points in the UK ........... Im sorry but the UK is a cess pit and will continue to sink in its own self made mess.

Read the papers, murders rarely make front page news now, rapes might get a small section on the front if it is a particularly bad one but other than that these types of stories are al to often lost in the rest of the stories.

I am in chch, which is almost entirely litter free, rarely do you see anybody dropping litter, graffiti is almost non existent as well.

Really who cares what land you can "ramble" over, trust me try walking on lots of farms in Scotland and you are likely to get a salt shot up the backside !!!!!!

Sorry my rants' over, having a bad Monday so far
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alanmacc

On a lighter note I see you live in Christchurch and we are going to visit the South Island for 1 week in January (our family live in the North Island you know the ones with the butchers shop) Anyway have you any ideas as to what we can do while we are there?

June
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

I don't know much about this issue, but I have 3 young daughters and I don't think that I would like just anyone being able to walk across my property.

I am curious about this and have loads of questions on this that I have never bothered asking before:

Is there a minimum distance that these accessways/public footpaths must be away from residences?
Are there laws that dictate how far you can venture off these footpaths? Or a standard footpath width?
What about penalties for leaving the footpath, loitering on a footpath, disturbing animals or damage to the surrounding environment?
I know that there are no lighting standards, so is safety an issue? Or are there restrictions on the times you can access the properties?
What about injuring oneself on a footpath (or just off the footpath)? If you injure yourself on someone's property (even if trespassing), I am assuming you can take legal action?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:41 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some recent news on NZ moves to improve access to countryside.

Personally my view is that property rights associated with NZ farmland are and have always been different from those in the UK. There never has been a massive network of historic bridalways and footpaths over which traditional rights can be preserved. Also the way things are going in Europe are that farmland is viewed more as a great open air museum (a public service) rather than sustainable business units. So in all likelihood whatever ends up implemented in NZ it won't be the UK model.

Last edited by southerner; Sep 29th 2008 at 1:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.