British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Nice family friendly areas 40 mins out of Aukland central? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nice-family-friendly-areas-40-mins-out-aukland-central-799548/)

clarabella31 Jun 9th 2013 7:49 am

Nice family friendly areas 40 mins out of Aukland central?

Hi,
Although it says I joined this site in 2009 (which I did but never used it) I am back to use this site properly.
My husband has been in Aukland for almost 2 months on a wtr visa and myself and 3 children aged 13, 8, and 11 months want to join him as soon as husband finds suitable area, house, schools etc.
I have scouring the internet on trademe for places to rent and trying to look up areas.... Husband says to look 40 mins out of Aukland East or West .. I have a headache!.. I think obviously you need to be living there to get a proper feel for an area but would love any information that any of you lovely British Expat people may have on great family friendly areas that are reasonably priced (not expensive) that are close-ish to the beach and close to schools.. We are also looking to rent not buy as of yet..
Thanks guys in advance :D

Bo-Jangles Jun 9th 2013 8:37 am

Re: Nice family friendly areas 40 mins out of Aukland central?

First off, if you're gonna live here you may as well learn how to spell Auckland. :lol:

You need to narrow the area down a bit by look and feel and surrounds, before you start looking at particular properties. Also important to figure out where you can afford to live, before you get all carried away and awestruck looking at amazing places with swimming pools and sea views.

clarabella31 Jun 9th 2013 9:35 am

Just a spelling mishap! :/
I know but there are so many lovely places to choose from and having looked on lots of sites with many areas which are 'bottom' rating I am scared of moving to an area that just isnt right. Price wise we are looking for a 3 bed at no more than $400.
Thanks for your reply :)

PHONEJUNKY Jun 10th 2013 2:33 am

Hi
We have only been here for 4 weeks and are still in a holiday home in the Northshore area of Auckland which is about half hour drive from Auckland city. We are looking for a rental in the Northshore ( Browns Bay or Albany ) area for the schools as we have a ten year old daughter. We are trying to get her into school but school zones predict the school you go so need a house before we can get her into school, where in catch 22 at moment. As for rent we have viewed some right shitholes and they want $500 - $650 per week for 3-4- bed and the ones that are half decent are $650 - $800 per week for 3-4 bed and Northshore is classed as a good area so we are still looking.

Assanah Jun 10th 2013 4:03 am

$400 a week is not much. Average rent in Auckland is $500 for a 3 bedroom. If you don't care that the house has no insulation and is cold and damp than you might be able to find a house for $400. If that is unacceptable to you better add at least $100 per week and the chances of finding a decent house in a decent neighborhood will be much better.

jmh Jun 10th 2013 4:22 am

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY (Post 10749021)
Northshore is classed as a good area so we are still looking.

Which is why prices are higher on the North Shore than some other areas - more people want to live there. If you want better bang for your buck you probably need to compromise on area.

Moomoo Jun 10th 2013 7:08 am

Hi

We live Cockle Bay/Howick - around 40 mins from Auckland - but that does depend on the time you leave for work/come home. It can be quicker say Sunday morning or late at night (20 mins), and it can sometimes be an hour to Auckland, but as I said it all depends on the time you leave for work and if there have been any accidents on the motorway.

We have lovely Howick village just up the road - lots of cafes, a few bars/restaurants, village market, good range of shops. We also have Howick beach very close and Cockle Bay beach in the area. A little further afield for a beach visit there's Maraetai (around half hour drive from Howick). There are also lots of little parks and reserves around.

We are around 10-15 mins drive from Botany Town Centre which has a very good range of shops, supermarkets, plus the bowling alley (which should be re-opening in the next few months), ice skating rink, cinema complex. There's Lloyd Ellsmore Park recreation centre with swimming pools.

The schools in the area are mostly Decile 10 - Botany Secondary College, Howick College, Macleans College, and there are very good intermediates in the area - Somerville being one. I don't know too much about the primary schools are our kids were older when we came but I think they are well regarded - Point View Primary, Cockle Bay Primary, being amongst them.

We originally rented rurally in Whitford (around 15 mins drive to Botany) for 18 months, before buying a house in the Cockle Bay/Howick area. We've been in NZ for nearly 5 years and are very happy in the area we live.

Hope the above helps :)

shelloil Jun 10th 2013 7:15 am

try manurewa east, the gardens and hill park area.:D

clarabella31 Jun 10th 2013 8:22 am

Thankyou for your replies :)

clarabella31 Jun 10th 2013 8:24 am

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY (Post 10749021)
Hi
We have only been here for 4 weeks and are still in a holiday home in the Northshore area of Auckland which is about half hour drive from Auckland city. We are looking for a rental in the Northshore ( Browns Bay or Albany ) area for the schools as we have a ten year old daughter. We are trying to get her into school but school zones predict the school you go so need a house before we can get her into school, where in catch 22 at moment. As for rent we have viewed some right shitholes and they want $500 - $650 per week for 3-4- bed and the ones that are half decent are $650 - $800 per week for 3-4 bed and Northshore is classed as a good area so we are still looking.

I think the Northshore is probably abit expensive for what we are looking for, I have heard and looked around and can see that rented places are much more expensive there than other areas. But looks lovely :)
Thanks for your input

clarabella31 Jun 10th 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 10749223)
Hi

We live Cockle Bay/Howick - around 40 mins from Auckland - but that does depend on the time you leave for work/come home. It can be quicker say Sunday morning or late at night (20 mins), and it can sometimes be an hour to Auckland, but as I said it all depends on the time you leave for work and if there have been any accidents on the motorway.

We have lovely Howick village just up the road - lots of cafes, a few bars/restaurants, village market, good range of shops. We also have Howick beach very close and Cockle Bay beach in the area. A little further afield for a beach visit there's Maraetai (around half hour drive from Howick). There are also lots of little parks and reserves around.

We are around 10-15 mins drive from Botany Town Centre which has a very good range of shops, supermarkets, plus the bowling alley (which should be re-opening in the next few months), ice skating rink, cinema complex. There's Lloyd Ellsmore Park recreation centre with swimming pools.

The schools in the area are mostly Decile 10 - Botany Secondary College, Howick College, Macleans College, and there are very good intermediates in the area - Somerville being one. I don't know too much about the primary schools are our kids were older when we came but I think they are well regarded - Point View Primary, Cockle Bay Primary, being amongst them.

We originally rented rurally in Whitford (around 15 mins drive to Botany) for 18 months, before buying a house in the Cockle Bay/Howick area. We've been in NZ for nearly 5 years and are very happy in the area we live.

Hope the above helps :)

Thanks... Lots of info for me to look into.. Do you know of the price range to rent around your area?

clarabella31 Jun 10th 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 10749091)
Which is why prices are higher on the North Shore than some other areas - more people want to live there. If you want better bang for your buck you probably need to compromise on area.

Exactly!.. The idea of us moving in the first place is to give our children a better way of life and if we are going to skint ourselves on rent then it will leave no money for anything else..
Just hoping to land somewhere lovely first time round so as not to be moving the kids from pillar to post
Thanks for your reply :)

P18PPS Jun 10th 2013 9:00 am

with your budget you'll have to compromise on something. Suggest you get yourselves out here and work out what you feel comfortable with, whether it be further afield or less cash. But if you want a nice house, nice suburb, great schools, great location, near a beach for 400 - you'll be disappointed.

Trademe and other search sites are great, however you really need to be on the ground to find something - a rental that is described as in one suburb may be the wrong side of the street for the good school...

That said - if you go way up on the north shore, even up towards Orewa you may find something (but commute will be longer).
West Auckland - Titirangi primary is good and it's a nice area, but its in the hills and get a house on the northern slopes and you'll spend 9 months of the year in damp darkness.
East - as mentioned around Howick is good, but you'll have to move quickly if you find anything suitable with a 400 budget.
If you can squeeze into a 2 bedroomed place (!!!) then the options become more varied and you can look closer to the city in some lovely suburbs!

good luck!

Moomoo Jun 10th 2013 9:11 am

Just had a quick look on trademe - Auckland, Manukau City - Botany Downs, Dannemora, Howick, Cockle Bay - there are a few 3 bedroom properties from mid-400's but realistically you'd be looking more towards the high $400's and towards the $500/week.

Good luck with your search :)

Bo-Jangles Jun 10th 2013 9:56 am

Exactly!.. The idea of us moving in the first place is to give our children a better way of life and if we are going to skint ourselves on rent then it will leave no money for anything else..
Just hoping to land somewhere lovely first time round so as not to be moving the kids from pillar to post
Exactly what? A reality check I feel is required, if you're sticking with a budget of no more than $400 you can only expect the 'bottom' / least desirable and farthest out areas; Henderson, Massey, Onehunga, Manurewa, Papakura, Otahahu, Otara. None of which offer the typical expat dream lifestyle by the beach.

You'll be hard pushed to find somewhere 'lovely' and if you're other half has been here for two months has he not got it sussed and seen what's on offer already? :confused: