Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nice areas in Wellington

Nice areas in Wellington

Old Mar 8th 2012, 2:17 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice areas in Wellington

Where are the best areas to live near Wellington? Obviously the city would be expensive. I'm not made of Money. Husband had a interview yesterday so fingers crossed I'm trying not to get my hopes up but where do you people who work in Wellington live and how much for a reasonable house with three bedrooms.

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice areas in Wellington

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...n/bedrooms-3-0

Hard to say as it's all mainly by tender.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:46 pm

Thought I would have had more replies than this? Probably because it's not a negative thread.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:18 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

just off to work so real short reply.....will reply better later on.

I prefer the Eastern suburbs - nearer the sea. J'ville is affordable, but it didn't feel right for me. Some areas of Ngaio are affordable, and apparently Ngaio is quite nice but I've never really been there much. Berhampore can be nice -need to be careful about the street you're on though - becoming a nicer area as people move there rather than the (nicer) more expensive Island Bay.

Like I say, will reply more later.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by shelloid
just off to work so real short reply.....will reply better later on.

I prefer the Eastern suburbs - nearer the sea. J'ville is affordable, but it didn't feel right for me. Some areas of Ngaio are affordable, and apparently Ngaio is quite nice but I've never really been there much. Berhampore can be nice -need to be careful about the street you're on though - becoming a nicer area as people move there rather than the (nicer) more expensive Island Bay.

Like I say, will reply more later.
Cheers!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of nice areas, really depends on what you want on your doorstep and what you don't mind a trip to get to. Were up in Whitby, we think it's great area, good schools for upto yr 9, but colleges the kids have to travel to. On a good day it's 20mins into Welly, 20 mins over to the Hutt Valley, 20 Mins upto the Kapiti coast, beaches in Plimmerton in next to no time... shops in Porirua are pretty good...

Korokoro, has some great views, Ngaio, Khandallah, J'Ville i think are great too.. as are areas in the Hutt...
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
There are loads of nice areas, really depends on what you want on your doorstep and what you don't mind a trip to get to. Were up in Whitby, we think it's great area, good schools for upto yr 9, but colleges the kids have to travel to. On a good day it's 20mins into Welly, 20 mins over to the Hutt Valley, 20 Mins upto the Kapiti coast, beaches in Plimmerton in next to no time... shops in Porirua are pretty good...

Korokoro, has some great views, Ngaio, Khandallah, J'Ville i think are great too.. as are areas in the Hutt...
Want easy commute to the city. But to be honest any area is better than Wanganui lol I do hope he gets it but if not will keep plodding on I guess
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Pukerua Bay, small quiet place, Dairy, hairdressers and bookshop thats it for shops but close to beach. Good school. Train station - gets you into Wellington in 40mins.

Its on SH1 so car ride to Wellington again is about 30-40mins depending on traffic/road works. As it is the only road in and out the area you can get problems if there is an accident anywhere from the start of the journey to wherever you are going.

We personally wouldn't go any further into Wellington than Plimmerton, where they say the weather changes for the better but would consider going further out towards Paraparaumu and even Waikanae at a push. Moso lives out at Waikanae and her OH commutes in Wellington daily train journey an hour. But of course the further out you go the more commuting costs you will have.

Whitby, Aotea to built up for my liking.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

As Mrs F says you have to decide if you're more influenced by weather, commuting, flat land, house prices or proximity to the CBD?

I like Island Bay or Scorching Bay/Miramar areas of Wellington if you want to be really near the sea - not so sure about them on a winter's day though! A lot of the hill areas Ngaio/Khandallah/Karori seem to spend a lot of time in fog but all are easy commutes to the CBD on the bus and/or train.

As Mrs F says we are up in Waikanae and any area of the Kapiti coast is usually 4/5 degrees warmer than Welly and much less windy and it's flat. There are 2 decent colleges in Paraparaumu - there is then a void of decent colleges until Tawa. You will also get alot more for your money house wise. We have a 3 bed house on a flat 900m2 section and paid well under $400,000 - you won't find that in Wellington itself of course. OH pays around $280 for his monthly season ticket compared to $200 from Pukerua Bay or $100 from Johnsonville.

If you're only in Wanganui I'd suggest coming down and driving round. There are places in the Hutt Valley which may suit too.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Thought I would have had more replies than this? Probably because it's not a negative thread.
Should have said, "Wellingtons shite thre are no nice places to live". That'd get replies flooding in

Cant help as have only ever been once and didnt really notice much outside of the pubs
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Hutt and love it! Better value properties, great shopping/cafe/restaurants, good transport to Wellington (15 mins by train/20 mins by car), good schools and if you live in the hills you will get great views of the Hutt Valley and Wellington Harbour.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Want easy commute to the city. But to be honest any area is better than Wanganui lol I do hope he gets it but if not will keep plodding on I guess
Centrally the only suburbs I would probably consider avoiding are Berhampore, Mount Cook, New Town. New Town has got some decent streets though and is where the hospital is.
I was in Te Aro high street recently (for the first time) which has a trendy reputation and has a couple of good cafes but I was shocked how scruffy and downtrodden it all looked and so close to Cuba Street.
Wellington suburbs are scruffy enough without going to the 'really scruffy downtrodden ones' imho. I think part of the scruffy look comes from the overhead wires and the peeling weather-beaten unpainted wooden villas.
I used to live in Hataitai which has a blend of very expensive housing and lots of student accommodation and a slightly scruffy feel but not as bad as ones listed above. Some graffiti around which I hate.

Khandallah is lovely and full of retirees and well-heeled families but might be a bit staid and conservative for you lol. No graffiti, no boy racers etc etc but you can pop over to Johnsonville if you fancy a grittier feel.

If you need a good mixed state school Onslow College serves Khandallah and Johnsonville, is decile 10 and does not have a uniform.
In fact choose your area based on decile of school is a good rule of thumb.

If you want new modern but spacious houses, you could try Newlands or Churton Park. Further out Whitby has loads of new houses.
You could look at Karori for slightly cheaper housing than Khandallah.
I think you would like Island Bay as it is nice and more or less a straight road into Courtenay Place and the nightlife.
Ngaio/ Khandallah is a short drive into CBD - 8 mins off-peak.

Keep your commute as short as possible based on what you can afford would be my advice. Good luck.

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 9th 2012 at 2:55 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Where are the best areas to live near Wellington? Obviously the city would be expensive. I'm not made of Money. Husband had a interview yesterday so fingers crossed I'm trying not to get my hopes up but where do you people who work in Wellington live and how much for a reasonable house with three bedrooms.

Thanks
We live in Riverstone Terrace, Upper Hutt which is a great suburb. When we moved over we bought our first house on Riverstone and loved it so much we had one built there.

I drive to Wellington every day generally 45 minutes to the CBD depending on traffic but you can get the train.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Should have said, "Wellingtons shite thre are no nice places to live". That'd get replies flooding in

Cant help as have only ever been once and didnt really notice much outside of the pubs
Pubs are shite as well
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Browner_
Pubs are shite as well
I don't go to pubs just classy bars

And please shut up Christ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.