NHS IS NOT FREE

Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice
Default NHS IS NOT FREE

if you work in uk then the nhs aint free, think about the health care you could of had if able to opt out, its only free if you dont work
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future
Default Re: NHS IS NOT FREE

Great thread.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
if you work in uk then the nhs aint free, think about the health care you could of had if able to opt out, its only free if you dont work
I work and don't pay for NHS treatment. Why do you ?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you expect it to be free anyway?I don't mind paying my contributions(I also work for the NHS).
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim
I work and don't pay for NHS treatment. Why do you ?
dont you pay national insurance... and was merely stating it wasn't free to the people who are lucky enough to live in N.Z.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

dont you pay national insurance... and was merely stating it wasn't free to the people who are lucky enough to live in N.Z.
Yes I pay NI but it's nothing to what it would cost for any treatment I would need.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I pay NI but it's nothing to what it would cost for any treatment I would need.
so you pay so its not free, nothing to do with how much it would cost, what could you get from bupa if you were able to opt out and have private med in. It's only free to those who have never worked,
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

so you pay so its not free, nothing to do with how much it would cost, what could you get from bupa if you were able to opt out and have private med in. It's only free to those who have never worked,
Are you having a bad day
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:54 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

I personally don't mind. Sure there are people who don't work and take out of the system, but I'm not going to spend my life worrying about a minority of freeloaders - I like to think I have a sense of the duty each individual has to make a contribution to society and paying your bit is included in that.

Sure the NHS could cut back on the red tape, but it is a vast organisation and changes can't be made overnight. But from personal experience they seem to have the recruitment spot on, as every single person I've met (from Consultant down to the volunteer tea lady) seemed like they really had a love for the job and genuinely cared about people.

So while I can think about possibly having opted out and maybe have spent time in a hospital that had a flat screen TV in the room, I prefer to think of it like this. The childhood asthma I had would - without NHS treatment - have killed me stone dead before I was 5. The magically fixed broken bones from playing rugby would have left me a cripple by the age of 17. And if they hadn't got my cancer when they did, I'd be dead before hitting 40.

The NHS and the people who work for it have saved and maintained my standard of life on more than one occassion and treated me with care, compassion and respect whilst going about it - why complain about it not being free when the results are priceless?

Karma to all healthcare bods wherever you may be - for my money you've earned it and then some.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Are you having a bad day
Hi,i'm not having a bad day but if you read some of the threads written by people living in N.Z, some of them are having a real bad time with there finances and just trying to help them not to be so down and realize medical care has never been free even in the uk, you see some people do care about other peoples wellbeing.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The expression is 'free at point of use'...a fine principle in a civilised society. Funded out of taxation/national insurance etc. It has no profit motive so costs are not forced needlessly up by insurance companies and greedy owners/employees as they are in USA.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked in the NHS & the NZ health service & have been a receiver of treatment in both, give me the NHS any day.

At least in the NHS you don't have to lie to get treatment for free. To get ACC funding for various issues you are encouraged to say I fell etc. otherwise you have to pay for everything. People who are genuinely ill shouldn't have to worry whether they can afford an ambulance, a visit to the GP etc.

I would rather pay NI contributions from my salary & have the NHS at "free at the point of use" & have an honest relationship with my GP/ Consultant.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:07 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NHS IS NOT FREE

I don't know which model is better, here you pay higher taxes where as in the U.S. you have to purchase insurance cover. Either way you end up paying for the same service.

I have yet to be convinced that either system is really superior .
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I don't know which model is better, here you pay higher taxes where as in the U.S. you have to purchase insurance cover. Either way you end up paying for the same service.

I have yet to be convinced that either system is really superior .
IMO the difference between healthcare in the UK and US is...in the UK healthcare and greatly subsidised/or free meds are available to everyone...young/old/rich/poor/employed/unemployed. In the US healthcare is available if you can afford to pay for it and many can't. Even if you can there is always the danger of having a long term or terminal illness and the insurance company refusing to insure you. If you have insurance every time you see a doctor you have to pay a co-pay...which is now usually around 20% of the doctor's bill. Meds are incredibly expensive...if you have meds insurance you still have a co-pay.

IMO healthcare should be a basic human right.

In the US the number one cause of bankruptcy is due to healthcare bills.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In the US the number one cause of bankruptcy is due to healthcare bills.
I thought it was the lawyers bills - for suing the medics and hospitals non-stop, who then have to charge large amounts in order to pay their defence lawyers and fork out massive sums to claimants ... and so on and so forth .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.