Next?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Next?

Stupid question time!!
Is there an NZ equivalent of Next for clothes and homeware?
Hoping so!!
Thanks for any replies
Donna
XX
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:37 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next?

I don't know but I will be interested to see what others think.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobDon View Post
Stupid question time!!
Is there an NZ equivalent of Next for clothes and homeware?
Hoping so!!
Thanks for any replies
Donna
XX
Next for clothes - nothing remotely like for men or women - quite a let down really especially for the missus who is far from impressed with the clothes shops overhere.

There is Pumpkin Patch for the kids which is a bit like Next.

Homeware shops are plentiful overhere and some are quite good and a lot of them always have regular sales.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Actually there was a shop in Auckland that sold Next clothing - will find out where it was.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is (or was) a Next 'Outlet Shop' at Dressmart in Onehunga - HOWEVER, it is a private concern and to me it appears the guy imported by the container load the leftovers that nobody else wants, from the UK outlet centres. It is dire!

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 11th 2009 at 8:36 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

themoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant future

The next outlet was not there when we went last July - went specifically as someone told us it was!! But clothing out here is crap - scary to say that I actually think that Primark, Asda and Tesco , had MUCH better quality clothing than a lot of the shops out here!!! So am missing all of those at the moment - but do really miss Next. Have asked them if they are going to deliver out here as they do now to europe. The have no plans to yet - but if they get enough enquiries, may look into it. M&S now deliver out here.

I know that when I go back to uk for a visit, I will be taking an empty suitcase!!! Its not all bad, there are some ok shops here - pumpkin patch is always good! and there are a couple of womens shops that are ok, but on the whole the selection for kids is limited and expensive. I got my mum to get some vests(singlets) for the kids for winter. She got me 2 packs of 3 from asda for £2 each . The cheapest I found over here was about $10 (£4) for just 1. And the quality of the asda ones were much better than the ones I had seen.

Having said that I did get a skirt when I arrived in a shop called Shanton for $40 (about £16) which was in the next directory for £40. Its not advertised as next, you just have to know the stock that is in the next directory and hunt. There was also some next kids tops in T&T that were the same as a next top that we got in the UK. Also Cotton on has some H&M stuff, as I saw a dress in there again that i got my daughter in H&M in UK.

still prefer it here tho, even if the clothes are crap. Kiwi's tend to stock up when they go to oz on holiday as is cheap and more choice
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough

have just discovered Hallensteins for my teenage boys .they love it and in some ways it reminds me of next ,although the choice is fairly limited !!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:27 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like an excellent entreprenurial (SP?) opportunity if clothing is so poor. Just better make sure I pack my sewing machine when the time comes! Is the cost of material expensive does anyone know?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

it's not that bad! I hated it when I got here as there were limited opportunities for the larger lady but there is the net...and if you are prepared to pay there are some brilliant brilliant kiwi designers.
Homeware...people tend to go to freedom furniture
mass market clothes...avoid the warehouse, farmers and kmart and you should be right
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Next?

Originally Posted by Lizaberry View Post
Sounds like an excellent entreprenurial (SP?) opportunity if clothing is so poor. Just better make sure I pack my sewing machine when the time comes! Is the cost of material expensive does anyone know?
Considering the relative population size difference, it's not as dire as I was expecting. There is a weird NZ look of multiple long layers over trousers which I will NEVER embrace (not cold enough to need them for one thing) and they do like to combine garish outlandish colours and bold patterns (Pacific Island influence maybe?)
Wellington probably has more choice than most..there is no M&S equivalent but I miss their Food Hall more than their clothes. Line7 does nice tops. Farmers kids clothes are fine by me, they last ok and are always reduced. Have bought stuff in Sussan which I understand is Australian and in Kirks.

I really like the really thin merino jumpers for this time of year - can't get those in Europe. There are more shops here catering for larger ladies but everything is either totally black or completely garish so money tends to stay safely in the bank.

When I make a return trip to UK it will be interesting to see how much I stock up on. I hate the oldfashioned kids pyjamas here..so that will be one thing for sure. Long winter coats are really hard to find here as well...
It's actually refreshing to not have the pressure to spend spend spend on clothes...not that I was ever a fashion victim in UK either.

Homeware is much easier...Briscoes is my favourite there...occasionally Kirks (overpriced) in Wellington.

Everyone else will disagree but I find it easier to get shoes here than UK..I'm size 8.

Last edited by luvwelly; Jun 11th 2009 at 11:25 am.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:21 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina View Post
...avoid the warehouse, farmers and kmart and you should be right
Some of us can't afford to shop anywhere but And I don't think Farmers is cheap! only browse in there when its a red dot sale (although these seem to be every other week). In fact I would rate Farmers on a par with Next - but then I though Next was overpriced as well.

For homeware: Briscoes - with their near permanent 30-50% off sale

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jun 11th 2009 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

that is one thing i feel pretty negative about moving to NZ-not that its the end of the world and would stop me coming!!! i was mortified at the lack of 'nice' clothes shops when we came over-i wouldn't say i was a 'fashion victim' but i do like buying fashionable clothes on a regular basis. i have to agree thought that the pressure is not the same in nz to be that kind of person-which is nice!!! I thought australia was more fashion conscious and there is a much better choice there.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to buy from Line 7 & Esprit. I miss Next, M&S (big fan of Per Una) & Monsoon & even BHS. I used to buy loads of clothes in the UK, but hardly ever do now as little grabs me. I plan to restock my wardrobe when we return for a holiday in August.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Been back to Uk recently and have to say that I went back with an empty suitcase but when I looked at what I purchased from Next, George, M&S etc.. its was scarey converted to dollars I think clothes seem expensive in UK now. Farmers here sometimes have good buys on Australian brands.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

The clothing in NZ is grim in my opinion - its an extravaganza of nasty nylon and synthetic fabrics. Theyre overpriced despite being poor fabrics. They're itchy and sweaty. You dont' notice it when you grow up there obviously, but after you've been away - my god, you 'so' do. I think the only option is going over to Sydney and stocking up there, but a nuisance if you end up wanting to return something

Saying that, by-and-large NZ women don't care about dress-sense (I know thats a huge generalisation but what I think is true). Myself or my friends never bothered with dressing up much when we were there. Not majorly anyway, not like the UK

Also, I penned a letter to the CEO at the head office of Next today, after reading this post - to try and encourage them to open up a store(s) there. Lets see if there's any reply

Last edited by Kiwi-Irish; Jun 11th 2009 at 11:07 pm. Reason: put in the bit about Next

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.