Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

In the news today: 'Government set to restict migrants'

In the news today: 'Government set to restict migrants'

Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:02 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default In the news today: 'Government set to restrict migrants'

I'm surprised I'm the first to stick this on here. It was front page news is The Press today, and others have picked up on it throughout the day:

'The Government is poised to cut the number of migrants entering New Zealand on temporary work permits as it comes under pressure to save Kiwi jobs during the recession.'

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/2289...trict-migrants

It talks mainly about the temporary work visa, and maintains that skill shortages still exist in many areas which is certainly the case, however migration through the skilled route will continue.

On the other hand, those in engineering and - as has been discussed on another thread - driving/ logistics, are certainly going to struggle with regards to obtaining temporary work pemits.

What's your view? Heavy handed, or rightly protecting Kiwi jobs? In my opinion, and judging from the people I am seeing come through the door, it's the right move to make. But then I'm here already, so easy for me to say I suppose...

Last edited by Wiz'n'Ton; Mar 25th 2009 at 9:07 am. Reason: forgrot howe too spelll
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: In the news today: 'Government set to restict migrants'

I think what we'll see is an adjustment to the shortages lists when NZIS next review the shortages lists. If they remove occupations that no longer have an immediate shortage of labour , then that in itself will reduce the temp work permit success rate because employers will then have to prove that they can't employ an NZ resident or citizen.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the news today: 'Government set to restict migrants'

The recent case in New Plymouth where permanent employees have been laid off whilst some immigrants on temporary visas have had their visas rolled over is interesting. The media attention on that particular case has probably been a bit one sided, but whatever, it will still increase the pressure on the DOL and NZ Immigration to tighten up the criteria as the unemployment rate rises a bit more.

With the general skills visa they are probably still not getting enough numbers applying at the moment for it to really be an issue, and in most cases you really are either on a long term skills shortage list, or you've got a relevant job offer. So I don't see that changing at all, especially with the current government.