Reload this Page >

In the News : Measles - Samoa.

In the News : Measles - Samoa.

Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default In the News : Measles - Samoa.

Not too far from us is it. Samoa.
Nation of just 200000 people and a lovely place to visit. We did spend a month there in 1997. We could have stayed with MrBEVS coaching school rugby & us perhaps sponsoring a couple of kids . We did in fact sponsor some kids .

Now the place is gripped by a measles epidemic. A deadly one at that.
70 odd are dead.
4500 have contract the disease.
Many are hospitalised , some of which are critically ill children.
The nation has been in shutdown , that is how bad this is.

Here in NZ we've had the outbreaks to the degree that MrBEVS will not be safely able to attend certain events which require Civil Defence to be present because we cannot know for sure that he is immune. He never had measles as a kid or as an adult.
The vaccine is precious as it has been so in demand of late so a hard call for him not to take up one dose.

Is the age of anti-vax thing finished perhaps. I do so hope so.

I realise about the scares of MMR and autism but it has never been proved really and when I worked with those kids autism ,for the most part , ran in their families. I do get about compromised immune systems but the risk from an epidemic can also be death as Samoa is now seeing.

Immunise or not immunise? Large group vaccinations against these diseases that certainly do kill and damage seems just common sense to me.
Should it be mandatory, unless it is shown to be possibly damaging, rather than voluntary process. After all there is not so much balking at preventative jabs for diphtheria and the like.

Old Dec 11th 2019, 5:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the News : Measles - Samoa.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not too far from us is it. Samoa.
Nation of just 200000 people and a lovely place to visit. We did spend a month there in 1997. We could have stayed with MrBEVS coaching school rugby & us perhaps sponsoring a couple of kids . We did in fact sponsor some kids .

Now the place is gripped by a measles epidemic. A deadly one at that.
70 odd are dead.
4500 have contract the disease.
Many are hospitalised , some of which are critically ill children.
The nation has been in shutdown , that is how bad this is.

Here in NZ we've had the outbreaks to the degree that MrBEVS will not be safely able to attend certain events which require Civil Defence to be present because we cannot know for sure that he is immune. He never had measles as a kid or as an adult.
The vaccine is precious as it has been so in demand of late so a hard call for him not to take up one dose.

Is the age of anti-vax thing finished perhaps. I do so hope so.

I realise about the scares of MMR and autism but it has never been proved really and when I worked with those kids autism ,for the most part , ran in their families. I do get about compromised immune systems but the risk from an epidemic can also be death as Samoa is now seeing.

Immunise or not immunise? Large group vaccinations against these diseases that certainly do kill and damage seems just common sense to me.
Should it be mandatory, unless it is shown to be possibly damaging, rather than voluntary process. After all there is not so much balking at preventative jabs for diphtheria and the like.
Very concerning.
Australia has been sending government medical teams over to Samoa for the last month or so, so we have been reporting on it. The figures of affected people, and deaths, are rising at a horrific rate, and many of the deaths are children.
There are similar measles epidemics in some other countries, Congo being one, its becoming a worldwide issue.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 7:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the News : Measles - Samoa.

But, but the autism. Isn't a bit of measles better than the autism?