Reload this Page >

Newly registered Nurse

Newly registered Nurse

Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

tricky88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newly registered Nurse

Hey,

I have just turned 21 and got my nursing registration in sept 08, I will have my honours in may 09. I have family moving to Auckland in sept this year and i was hoping to find a nursing job beginning of next year,

Does anyone have any advice on the process?

Thanks guys
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

newbie 667 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newly registered Nurse

Hi

I have been using Accent Health recruitment who have been great in advising me of what to do and when and keeping me posted about job vacancies. Check out their website

There are others on the forum that have used Tonix and been equally impressed with their service.

All i would say is get registered witht the NZ nursing council asap as it can take a while - you can download the forms from the NZNC website.

Good luck

Rebecca
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tricky88
Hey,

I have just turned 21 and got my nursing registration in sept 08, I will have my honours in may 09. I have family moving to Auckland in sept this year and i was hoping to find a nursing job beginning of next year,

Does anyone have any advice on the process?

Thanks guys
First of all congratulations on your training.

I dealt with Auckland District Health Board directly and didn't bother with an agency. The easiest and quickest way is to register with the council, as that is going through, contact the three employers serving Auckland if you want public health. Auckland District Health Board for Auckland city hospital, Waitemata District Health Board for North shore hospital, or Counties Manukau District Health Board for Middlemore Hospital. Talk to them, the HR teams are very proactive here. You may find the new-grad programmes a good start.

If you are offered a job the hospital will send out a form which you send with your nurse reg to immigration NZ. After a medical and if evertything checks out you get a work to residency visa, which is a work visa that turns into residency if you want it and if your employer gives you an open ended contract after 2 years.

Oh and get the police checks going too, they can take a while. I got out here from start to landing in 8 months. I could've made in 6 had the council not lost my file!!!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

tricky88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your advice! Il need to get the ball rolling

x
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tricky88

I too am just starting out on the process of getting over there. Nurse too.

I have been in converstation with Tonix Healthcare NZ and they were sooooooo helpful and lovely. (No Fees...which is a bonus) Loads of good things being said about them on BE

First thing you have to do.....apply to take the IELTS Academic English test. It doesn't matter that we are English and fluent...as of the 1st Jan 2009 its across the board for overseas registrants. (Apart from Australians). Check out www.ielts.org.

The tests book up quickly. Mine is the 18 April. Its an all day thing and involves, speaking, listening, reading and writing. There are quite a few places to take it and the cost is £105 for the test.

At the same time you need to apply for your Police Certificate check which is not the same as the CRB. www.acpo.police.uk. Cost if £35 and they say it takes 10days. When you have these two things you can then apply for your NZ registration with your references etc and the $485nz fee...about £175 at current exchanges. The whoile process for the Registraion is said to take about 4 months.

Once you have your NZ registration, you contact Tonix and they then sort a job out for you. Normally telephone interview. When you have a job, you can submit your EOI.
You don't have to have a job to submit the EOI but it does increase your points for selection

Hope I haven't put you off