Reload this Page >

Newly Qualified UK Nurse wanting to move to NZ

Newly Qualified UK Nurse wanting to move to NZ

Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Tudgeass is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newly Qualified UK Nurse wanting to move to NZ

Hello there everybody,

I am brand new to this, so I apologise if this is a repetitive thread!!

I am currently a student nurse, in my final year, due to qualify in March 2015. I am desperate to move to New Zealand to work as a nurse, and start a new life there with my partner. However, after visiting a jobs fair recently, I found that 2 years minimum experience post qualification is required. As you can imagine, this shattered my dream a little. However, not one to be deterred, I discovered this web page and some stories from other newly qualified nurses which brightened my spirits. These posts were from 2009 though, and said things such as; applying for registration in NZ as soon as I gain registration in the UK etc.

Please can someone help me with this. Anyone who has been in my position, and knows the ropes better than I do... Even if it isn't what I want to hear. Hahaha. I appreciate I cant move straight away, and that I will need some experience, but 2 years seems like an awfully long time and i'm not getting any younger, ha ha ha.

Thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Qualified UK Nurse wanting to move to NZ

Unfortunately you need 2 years of experience and pass IELTS English language testing at level 7 in all 4 bands. Please have a look on the Nursing Council of New Zealand website for more information and the registration process for overseas qualified nurses.

Gill
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm a Mental Health Nurse, qualified July 2011 started work in Oct 2011, moved over to NZ July 2013 so I actually had a little less than two years at the time. The document you read is probably the LTSSL right? That is correct, in order to gain points for residency as a nurse you need 2 years experience (think it may well be three now actually) however things may be a little more flexible if you come over on a working holiday or work visa.

What I strongly advise you to do is check the requirements for NZ registration, you may well need proof of hours of registered practice before they will validate your registration. In addition there is a huge problem for Newly Qualifieds to get jobs here. NZ training is much more skewed to university than ours is, they only do Mon-Fri until their management placement and no placements at all in first year (!!!!) So you may be better prepared than an NZ new grad but I still think you'd be in a much better position to compete with them if you had some experience and had done preceptorship first.

The registration is a bit of a logistical nightmare to organise but basically doable if you're patient. It took me a year to organise and a month once registered to get a job. Hope this helps
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Tudgeass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your helpful replies!!

I have checked the Nursing Council's website and it is a requirement of 2 years experience. Its just so confusing because at the jobs fair, the representative from 'Accent' said that applicants with 12 months experience would be considered... But I don't see how if they can only be registered after 2 years experience...??? So strange!!

A friend of a friend has 18 months experience and she has been offered a job working in ICU in New Zealand... I guess if you're something special and have the right degree and experience then they'll bend the rules. She isn't moving out till January though, so she will have 2 years experience then.

LauraNotts, so I could begin my registration process 12 months or so before I come over so its in place or processing when I start applying for jobs??
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

From looking they need you to have 2500 hours of registered practice. I worked about 37.5hrs per week and did this in 18 months so 2 years is not set in stone so long as you can achieve the hours. But as I said this will only benefit you in increasing your choice of jobs and you will also be paid more when you arrive.

You could certainly begin to get the documentation in order but some things like the declaration of good standing and police certificate have expiry dates so don't get them too soon. I also think the IELTS is only valid for a year?

It really isn't about being something special so long as you're patient you will get there. One quick question, are you graduating with a degree or diploma?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing Council of New Zealand made the change in 2013 that you now need 2 years of experience before you can apply for your registration. This is very strictly enforced by NCNZ. It is not about the number of hours.... it is about the length of time (yes you can do 2500 in less than 2 years). It also depended on when your friend Tudgeass started the application process for registration and not whether you are "something special", as prior to then there was no 2 year rule.

Also remember that you will have to pass IELTS with a minimum of 7 in each band or a B in all bands for OET. This is a requirement even from English speaking countries.

Good luck with your application.

Gill
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Gill, prior to that did they just have the 2500 rule? I remember having to prove my hours of practice by supplying employment letters, but I had very definitely NOT been registered 2 years when I got out here. I started my application in late 2012 and sent it off probably around March or April last year so maybe the old rules didn't apply to me?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like you were the old rules LauraNotts

Cheers
Gill