Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

newly qualified nurse...

newly qualified nurse...

Old May 26th 2008, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

marmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant future
Question newly qualified nurse...

Hi
im just about to qualify as a nurse here in the uk , looking to move to NZ as soon as next year .......do i need so many years experience working in the uk before going to nz to work. ? My husband will be the main applicant on the immigration papers, so will this matter?.....Any info about nursing in NZ would be gratefully received
THX
Old May 26th 2008, 9:06 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newly qualified nurse...

as far as getting a job goes it probably won't make any odds- my husband got a job waiting out here for him before he'd even qualified and he came straight out. Not sure visa wise though as he's a citizen. If you're not the main applicant, can't see it a problem but I'd check it out
Old May 26th 2008, 9:56 pm
Ewan

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice

Hi Marmite,

I only qualified as a uk nurse in October last year and I have a job waiting for me. At the time I was offered the job I only had three and a half months post registration experience. I travelled to NZ on holiday/job finding mission and left with the offer

If you are serious about going over you should apply for your NZ nurse reg with the Nursing Council of New Zealand as soon as you recieve your NMC reg as it can take some time to process and makes the whole experience a tad stressfull if you are waiting on it to submit your visa application (ITA). I wish I had applied for mine before I went job hunting!

If you need any more info feel free to PM me
Claire
Old May 27th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,I am also a nurse and if you need any help re NCNZ give us a shout. There have been some threads on here so do a search or go into the nursing section of working overseas. Here's a few to get you started

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536958
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520354
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519110
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520141

Phyllis
Old May 29th 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

marmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant futuremarmite1000 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: work experience....?

Hi

Im just trying to fill out my EOI online, im am at the work experience section.......... with me as main applicant, i would like to know ...

1. Does my 3 years in university placements count towards work experience in the skills shortage list ?

2. Do my 10 years as a nursing assistant prior to university, count towards work experience ?

3. When is the right time to apply for NZ registration with the NZ Nursing Council and how long does it take to come through ?

4. When is the best time to accept a job offer?

I,ve just realised how long this form actually is ....lol

Thx....
Old May 29th 2008, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi again

Phylis , I just saw your bit at the bottom of your last reply about the EOI being submitted and accepted.....
Thats FAST!!!!!
Is there a time frame or limit between being accepted and actually going to NZ..........

So many questions............
Old May 30th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marmite1000
Hi

Im just trying to fill out my EOI online, im am at the work experience section.......... with me as main applicant, i would like to know ...

1. Does my 3 years in university placements count towards work experience in the skills shortage list ?

2. Do my 10 years as a nursing assistant prior to university, count towards work experience ?

3. When is the right time to apply for NZ registration with the NZ Nursing Council and how long does it take to come through ?

4. When is the best time to accept a job offer?

I,ve just realised how long this form actually is ....lol

Thx....
It takes around 3 months for your NCNZ stuff to be returned. you can do this before you apply for a job,makes the potential employer think you are serious as it costs almost £200 to registerAlso need full police check for this and this takes 40 days to get,so the sooner you start the better.

It is best to try to get a job offer before submitting EOI as you get more points.

I don't think you will be able to use uni time or NA experience as it is about the job you are claiming qualifications for and what is on the skills list,but I could be wrong

Originally Posted by marmite1000
Hi again

Phylis , I just saw your bit at the bottom of your last reply about the EOI being submitted and accepted.....
Thats FAST!!!!!
Is there a time frame or limit between being accepted and actually going to NZ..........

So many questions............
If you time it right you can submit the night before the selection is made( every 2nd Wed) and be picked the next day. We were surprised at how quick we were changed from selected to successful though now waiting on ITA to drop through the door.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

tricky88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I was just wondering how you were getting on with the NZ newly qualified nurse issue.

I got my registration in sept 08 and will have my honours qualification this may 09.

I have family moving to new zealand this year and i was hoping to get a job as a nurse in Auckland in 2010

any advice would be amazing

Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tricky88
Hi, I was just wondering how you were getting on with the NZ newly qualified nurse issue.

I got my registration in sept 08 and will have my honours qualification this may 09.

I have family moving to new zealand this year and i was hoping to get a job as a nurse in Auckland in 2010

any advice would be amazing

Hi there,
I am a newly qualified nurse. Qualified in Sept 08 and began the registration process with NZNC straight away. I got my lovely new NZNC certificate in February. I have got a job offer and being newly qualified did not seem to be a problem when I applied for my job.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

tricky88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobDon
Hi there,
I am a newly qualified nurse. Qualified in Sept 08 and began the registration process with NZNC straight away. I got my lovely new NZNC certificate in February. I have got a job offer and being newly qualified did not seem to be a problem when I applied for my job.
Hope this helps.
Thanks you , and well done! x
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

IKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really niceIKlapwijk is just really nice

Originally Posted by weejie
Hi there,I am also a nurse and if you need any help re NCNZ give us a shout. There have been some threads on here so do a search or go into the nursing section of working overseas. Here's a few to get you started

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536958
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520354
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519110
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520141

Phyllis
Hi Marmite

Like you am about to start the process to NZ, but am hoping to be there in July 2010. I'll be following your posting closely!! Have Tonix agency calling me today/tomorrow as want to find out what the hospitals/conditions are like.

good luck with your move!

Isobelle
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Hi all I qualify in Sept 2010 at a RMN (degree) ive been scouring the internet for jobs but as yet i have only had one reply which said i need at least 12months experience, I understand that as soon as i get my pin number i should be regerstering in NZ, maybe its different for RMN to get jobs as newly qualified, working to residency is that visa ive been recommended. anyone kno of agencys/hospitals employing newly qualified nurses that i can get in touch with? im lookin to go to Wellington as this is were my brother is. any info would be grand, and congrats to those that have nearly finished or finished the process
xx
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:25 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Hi all I qualify in Sept 2010 at a RMN (degree) ive been scouring the internet for jobs but as yet i have only had one reply which said i need at least 12months experience, I understand that as soon as i get my pin number i should be regerstering in NZ, maybe its different for RMN to get jobs as newly qualified, working to residency is that visa ive been recommended. anyone kno of agencys/hospitals employing newly qualified nurses that i can get in touch with? im lookin to go to Wellington as this is were my brother is. any info would be grand, and congrats to those that have nearly finished or finished the process
xx
I would think you'd get a better response contacting the hospitals directly. In Wellington there are two public and around five private hospitals. If you're newly qualified I would think that public is the way to go. Wellington Hospital (in the city) is on +64 4 385 5999 and Hutt Valley DHB (in Petone, Hutt Valley) is on +64 4 570 9999. I would think there are more jobs at Wellington as I know they are short of nurses in ED (A&E) Orthopaedics/Urology at least, if not elsewhere. They won't be too interested until you have registration sorted out but if you can get them to give you a job offer, this will speed up your visa and NCNZ registration (expect this to take 3 months so get it in now).

Work visas you can get within a week if you have a job to go to (mine took <1 day) so you could consider this while you collect everything for your other visa.

HTH

A