newcomer

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:56 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default newcomer

Hi my name is Darren H-Furness and I have recently moved to Nelson with my wife. We lived in Wellington for a year before buying a house and moving to the sun. Loving NZ even if we are missing friends and family. Anyone in the Nelson area ?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newcomer

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Hi my name is Darren H-Furness and I have recently moved to Nelson with my wife. We lived in Wellington for a year before buying a house and moving to the sun. Loving NZ even if we are missing friends and family. Anyone in the Nelson area ?
Hi there & welcome to the forum, not from Nelson, but live in Welly. Where about did you live in Welly.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

Hi, my name is Jackie and hoping to move to NZ in a few years. Was thinking of North Island for better weather (?!) but what drew you to Nelson - although I have read that it has less rain than most places.
I only joined this forum a few weeks ago but am so encouraged by all the support and practical advice out there.

Hope you settle well and quickly - Good Luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:02 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Darren & wife.

We're over the ranges in Blenheim. Good here isn't it???
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kia Ora guys.
Welcome to this corner of the cyber world.

We're living in the village of Mapua about 20/30 minutes from Nelson CBD .

Our weather here is more med. style than much of the South Island . We are protected by the surrounding ranges. It doesn't snow here, yet we are only a couple of hours from a ski field & snow if we want it.
Winter is early morning frosts followed by mostly warm sunny days. Summer is HOT. You need some rain, otherwise everything shrivels up . We have a grapevine in our garden and I have just planted a young advocado & a couple of olive trees which I hope will take. Yesterday was very toasty in the sun & we were in T Shirts and shorts. Today is a bit cloudy overhead and there is a chill in the air but we want that . It means the mountains may get a dump of snow
We do get rain which is needed, but not eternal drizzle. December and June/July are often unsettled .
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Kia Ora guys.

Our weather here is more med. style than much of the South Island . We are protected by the surrounding ranges. It doesn't snow here, yet we are only a couple of hours from a ski field & snow if we want it.
Winter is early morning frosts followed by mostly warm sunny days. Summer is HOT. You need some rain, otherwise everything shrivels up . We have a grapevine in our garden and I have just planted a young advocado & a couple of olive trees which I hope will take. Yesterday was very toasty in the sun & we were in T Shirts and shorts. Today is a bit cloudy overhead and there is a chill in the air but we want that . It means the mountains may get a dump of snow
We do get rain which is needed, but not eternal drizzle. December and June/July are often unsettled .
Mmm, that sounds good to me and lets face it anything is better than the UK.
I know that rain is good but living in Wales I think I've had more than my fair share!!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:04 am
`

From what I saw on the late night international news, the entire UK is having much much more than its fair share.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:35 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi there & welcome to the forum, not from Nelson, but live in Welly. Where about did you live in Welly.
Hi we used to live in Wadestown. Loved Wellington but to wet and windy
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:41 am
Stoke City fanatic

Originally Posted by jackietyfry
Hi, my name is Jackie and hoping to move to NZ in a few years. Was thinking of North Island for better weather (?!) but what drew you to Nelson - although I have read that it has less rain than most places.
I only joined this forum a few weeks ago but am so encouraged by all the support and practical advice out there.

Hope you settle well and quickly - Good Luck!
Fell in love with Nelson when we visited 5 years ago. It is very sunny has gorgeous scenery and very close to 3 national parks. It has the most sunshine hours in NZ but without the tropical climate that North of Auckland can get. In winter we are only about 1/1.5 hours from nearest ski slopes. I would advise a fact finding trip to NZ and make your own minds up. Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:43 am
Stoke City fanatic

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hiya Darren & wife.

We're over the ranges in Blenheim. Good here isn't it???
Yea fantastic. Nearly moved to Blenheim last year but Nelson shaded it for us.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:51 am
Stoke City fanatic

Kia Ora guys.

Hi, thanks for that, we have actually been in nelson now for 6 months, and so glad we came over here, weather is so much nicer and the surrounding ranges are just stunning!
Went to Mapua in the summer, i couldnt belive the colour of the water, looked like the carribean!!
The guy i work with is from london but lived in Mapua for a few weeks before moving to nelson, you may know him?! Hes a hairdresser.
Have started planting the garden up, but luckily was lots done to it before we brought it, 2 lemon trees, apple tree, peach tree, grape vine, and veggie patch, things just grow easily here!
How long you been here?
We found it much easier to meet people in wellington, i guess nelsons a bit small. Any tips?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:07 am
`

Did the hairdresser bloke live in Auckland previously and now has his own salon?
Do he and his family know another UK family with a six year old and a six month baby ?

We have been here for three years now.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:29 am
Stoke City fanatic

Did the hairdresser bloke live in Auckland previously and now has his own salon?
Do he and his family know another UK family with a six year old and a six month baby ?

We have been here for three years now.
Yea he came from Auckland (Lawrence). My wife now rents a treatment room from him doing massage and beauty using organic only products.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Fell in love with Nelson when we visited 5 years ago. It is very sunny has gorgeous scenery and very close to 3 national parks. It has the most sunshine hours in NZ but without the tropical climate that North of Auckland can get. In winter we are only about 1/1.5 hours from nearest ski slopes. I would advise a fact finding trip to NZ and make your own minds up. Good luck
Thanks for the info and you too "Bev" .
We are already planning a visit in Feb and I think we will now have to slip over to South Island cos this all sounds like us!
I've read that you can't take a hire car over and that its best to hire a car at the other end. Is that right? How much does it cost as a foot passenger on the ferry as opposed to flying.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:42 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackietyfry
Thanks for the info and you too "Bev" .
We are already planning a visit in Feb and I think we will now have to slip over to South Island cos this all sounds like us!
I've read that you can't take a hire car over and that its best to hire a car at the other end. Is that right? How much does it cost as a foot passenger on the ferry as opposed to flying.
You can take a car over, but it won't make any financial sense whatsoever if it is a rental car.

Flying sounds fast and reasonable. Try this...
http://www.soundsair.com/fares.php

For ferries, try...
http://www.bluebridge.co.nz
http://www.interislander.co.nz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.