Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbie's to New Plymouth

Newbie's to New Plymouth

Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Default Newbie's to New Plymouth

Is there anyone out there or here that has or is thinking off moving to new plymouth
Old Sep 7th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

julieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nice
Smile Re: Newbie's to New Plymouth

my OH has been offered a job in New Plymouth so we are looking to move there after the visa/house sale is done.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newbie's to New Plymouth

Have you been there before?? what sort of work does he do?? Visa's are easy if you have a job offer
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:32 am
Just Joined

hotel1 is on a distinguished road

hi there,
i lived there for some years so happy to help out with any questions that i can
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

my OH has been offered a job in hawera anyone know anything about there? what its like ,nice areas etc
thanks
caroline
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

hotel1 is on a distinguished road

in terms of hawera, it is about an hour or so south of New Plymouth - New Plymouth (NP) is the main city in the district of taranaki. Hawera has a population of about 11k and was originally built up as a service centre to the dairy industry - dairy production is still a big part of the district economy although it is now seen as the oil and gas district as well.

i havenever lived there, but have certainly visited - it is a very pretty town and has a strong community. because of the boom in dairy and in oil, it hasa strong financial base and is quite prosperous. Ocean is nearby - plenty of parks etc etc.

if you are looking for realestate, try harcourts.co.nz or open2view.com - put in the district of Taranaki and then look in hawera - this will give you a feel for pricing ad house styles down there.

good luck
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

jimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant futurejimanddebs has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Newbie's to New Plymouth

hi all

i have a job offer in new plymouth working for on the road/vtnz and as soon as i lose the weight should hear if i have been accepted. visas are definitely not easier with a job offer but i hope all goes well with your experience. taranaki on line is a good sight to check for info on np and trademe is good for all other things

jim and debs x
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Taranaki is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I am English and I have been living in New Zealand for four and a half years, four of which I have spent living and working in New Plymouth, Taranaki.

I work for the Regional Economic Development Agency, Venture Taranaki and have a great website with heaps of information on the region. Check out www.taranaki.info Part of that website is also a Jobs website - make sure you register and yes, it is much easier to get a visa with a job offer, for more information on your options, of which there are many, visit www.immigration.govt.nz .

If you are under 31, a quick and easy way to get in is using the working holiday visa, which will give you the opportunity to gain the NZ work experience that employers are looking for.

New Plymouth is the main centre of the Taranaki region and has a population of 77,000 in the district. It is a great place to live, especially for families and those who love to surf, trek and enjoy gardens and the great outdoors. For more info check out www.windwand.co.nz and www.newplymouthnz.com.

Taranaki is a freindly relaxed place, and being equidistant between Auckland and Wellington and with regular flights to the rest of the country, you are always just far enough away.

The main industries in Taranaki are dairy and oil and gas, but engineering, maufacturing, boat building, health etc are all growing and erquire skilled people to help keep the place as vibrant as it is. It is fairly small on global terms, but we have great music, and art festivals and events, including REM, UB40, Jack Johnson, Elton John, Beach Boys, Guitar Fest, WOMAD, festival of Lights, Parihaka Peace festival, Americarna, ITU Triathlon and Around the Moutain Cycle challenge, to name a few, and all of these have been in the last 3 years!!

Visit the websites, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. It is a fantastic place to live and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great lifestyle!

Carrie
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taranaki
Hi All,

I am English and I have been living in New Zealand for four and a half years, four of which I have spent living and working in New Plymouth, Taranaki.

I work for the Regional Economic Development Agency, Venture Taranaki and have a great website with heaps of information on the region. Check out www.taranaki.info Part of that website is also a Jobs website - make sure you register and yes, it is much easier to get a visa with a job offer, for more information on your options, of which there are many, visit www.immigration.govt.nz .

If you are under 31, a quick and easy way to get in is using the working holiday visa, which will give you the opportunity to gain the NZ work experience that employers are looking for.

New Plymouth is the main centre of the Taranaki region and has a population of 77,000 in the district. It is a great place to live, especially for families and those who love to surf, trek and enjoy gardens and the great outdoors. For more info check out www.windwand.co.nz and www.newplymouthnz.com.

Taranaki is a freindly relaxed place, and being equidistant between Auckland and Wellington and with regular flights to the rest of the country, you are always just far enough away.

The main industries in Taranaki are dairy and oil and gas, but engineering, maufacturing, boat building, health etc are all growing and erquire skilled people to help keep the place as vibrant as it is. It is fairly small on global terms, but we have great music, and art festivals and events, including REM, UB40, Jack Johnson, Elton John, Beach Boys, Guitar Fest, WOMAD, festival of Lights, Parihaka Peace festival, Americarna, ITU Triathlon and Around the Moutain Cycle challenge, to name a few, and all of these have been in the last 3 years!!

Visit the websites, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. It is a fantastic place to live and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great lifestyle!

Carrie
ty so much for all the information Carrie, we were originaly looking at papamoa purely because we have friends from there. OH got a job in NP so we are heading there instead , i am so looking forward to it. We will be based in Hawera for possibly 1st 6 months or so but im looking forward to that to, and only a drive away for NP ... im so excited and only possibly 13 weeks away
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Tallia will become famous soon enoughTallia will become famous soon enough

Hi All

We moved from the UK to New Plymouth just over a year ago now and we absolutely love it here, for a smaller, out of the way place there is a lot going on (Stevie Wonder has just been announced as coming to the Brooklands Bowl yay) and everything Carrie said is so true.

BTW my husband got his job through Venture Taranaki, we registered with you guys after visiting the NZ Expo in london in Nov 06, and your name rings a bell Carrie so it might even have been you we spoke to as it was an english girl who helped us out
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
ty so much for all the information Carrie, we were originaly looking at papamoa purely because we have friends from there. OH got a job in NP so we are heading there instead , i am so looking forward to it. We will be based in Hawera for possibly 1st 6 months or so but im looking forward to that to, and only a drive away for NP ... im so excited and only possibly 13 weeks away
You are welcome. Curious as to why you are moving to Hawera if your OH has a job in NP with an hour's drive each way, which may not sound like a lot compared to UK, but it is a lot for Taranaki! It is cheaper to live in Hawera though.
Keep me posted on your progress!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tallia
Hi All

We moved from the UK to New Plymouth just over a year ago now and we absolutely love it here, for a smaller, out of the way place there is a lot going on (Stevie Wonder has just been announced as coming to the Brooklands Bowl yay) and everything Carrie said is so true.

BTW my husband got his job through Venture Taranaki, we registered with you guys after visiting the NZ Expo in london in Nov 06, and your name rings a bell Carrie so it might even have been you we spoke to as it was an english girl who helped us out

Hi, thanks for your email, great to hear that you moved recently and are loving it here, and that you met us in London in 06 - I'm sure I'd reconise you if I saw you again. would you mind emailing me your contact details, so that I can follow up on what jobs you got etc? It would be nice to have a coffee and a catch up as you're a great success story! Thanks,
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Taranaki
You are welcome. Curious as to why you are moving to Hawera if your OH has a job in NP with an hour's drive each way, which may not sound like a lot compared to UK, but it is a lot for Taranaki! It is cheaper to live in Hawera though.
Keep me posted on your progress!
hi Taranaki

The main company is based in NP (Kupe) but for atleast the 1st 6 months or so his work will be in hawera so we going to rent there so he doesnt have the commute, but after this contract up and job moves to NP we will move to NP and probably buy a house there , so we will be in NP in long term , but as you say its a long drive each way so easier to stay in hawera to start with

caz
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
hi Taranaki

The main company is based in NP (Kupe) but for atleast the 1st 6 months or so his work will be in hawera so we going to rent there so he doesnt have the commute, but after this contract up and job moves to NP we will move to NP and probably buy a house there , so we will be in NP in long term , but as you say its a long drive each way so easier to stay in hawera to start with

caz
Aaah, fair enough! That makes more sense now.

Are you looking for work? If so, what do you do?

Keep me posted on your progress and let me know when you are here and I'll take you out for a coffee!

Take Care, Carrie.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

aww ty that would be lovely... i dont work at the moment just a full time mum to our wee girl. I think i may have to get part time work(yay caz time lol) I have worked in hospitality over here for last 12 years and ran bars , was licensee etc.. i loved it but OH not sure about me working at night again, but will need to i think so he at home with lucy

caz