British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Newbies to all this! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/newbies-all-401441/)

Wiz'n'Ton Oct 10th 2006 2:58 pm

Newbies to all this!

Hi all,

Wiz and Ton here, a married couple currently in Southend, Essex, UK. I’m nearly 30, Ton is 25. We are running down the road of immigration to NZ, and although we are well on the way, we’ve only just found this fantastic forum.

After a quick browse it seems that nearly all the answers are here already, so you may not see that much of us, but here’s our background.

We traveled the world for 6 months last year after getting married in August 05. We saw many spectacular things, and decided to give life in a different country a go. Our first choice was Christchurch in NZ, but Ton’s sister was very keen on coming too and they chose Perth, WA. We thought ‘what the hey’ and so said we’d go too. We pursued this avenue earlier in the year but it all fell through because Ton was a year short in Uni time for her teaching qualification to be recognized out there. Her sister is now preggers so they ain’t goin’ nowhere for a while now! This left us free to look again at NZ, and after a bit of soul searching we took the plunge.

We have given ‘The Emigration Group’ a big fat cheque to sort out all the paperwork, and aim to be out there in early Jan 07. From chatting to others we know that this could be unnecessary but after wasting time and money trying to go it alone in getting to Oz, we figured it will save us time and hassle.

Ton is a primary school teacher, and I’m a recruitment consultant specializing in the UK rail industry. Funnily enough, it’s Ton the NZ immigration are interested in. Hmmmm… I wonder why?! :p We are aiming at either Christchurch or the Bay of Plenty, but it really will depend on where Ton can find a job, as apparently primary isn’t all that easy out there at present.

We’ve remortgaged the house we live in to fund the move, and will be keeping it as a fall back as prices are going mental over here at the moment, with a friend renting it and covering the mortgage.

Ton’ll be looking for work out there as a primary school teacher, so if anyone has pointers on that then they’d be much appreciated. I have a degree in Marine Biology and so am interested in going in that direction, but will happily jump into any recruitment role – anyone know of any recruiment companies looking at the moment?

There’s loads more to tell, but we’ll bore you with that another time. We just wanted to poke our heads above the parapet and say hi. So erm… ‘Hi’!

Look forward to chatting more in the near future,

Wiz’n’Ton

Sue Oct 10th 2006 4:02 pm

Re: Newbies to all this!

Well hello and welcome to the site. Everyone here is friendly and helpful so if you have any questions whilst on your "quest" don't be afraid to ask.

Sue

sky Oct 10th 2006 8:33 pm

Welcome Wiz and Ton, you sound like your going to do fabulously in nz :)

helinuk Oct 10th 2006 8:51 pm

welcome to the NZ forum! I tried to get to OZ too. We are now waiting for the ITA for NZ. Seems like forever but just 2 months.

Wondering why some BE members don't have their 'post' counter on display? Anyone know? :confused:

Jude J Oct 10th 2006 10:08 pm

Hello you two.

Cant answer any of the questions sorry but it sounds like you will have no problems here!
How is Southend then? I am from Essex and had many family day trips to Southend. Last time I was in UK visiting my sister who lives in Hertfordshire (2004) we took her girls to the fun fair and had a look around the old place! Ahhh...memory lane... :D

cottageinthesky Oct 11th 2006 3:01 am

Originally Posted by helinuk

Wondering why some BE members don't have their 'post' counter on display? Anyone know? :confused:

I wondered for months why my post count didn't appear - the other day I found the option to turn it on....... :rolleyes:

Wiz'n'Ton Oct 11th 2006 7:35 am

Cheers for the replies peeps - you know how to make the new folks welcome :)

HelinUK - Probably a newbie question, but what's the ITA? :confused: So many different accronym's I am still trying to suss them all out! Where abouts in NZ are you thinking of heading to when it's all sorted out?

Jude J - Southend is pretty much the same as usual. The pier burnt down (again!) last year and so it's being rebuilt. Life in the town is OK, but we are getting more than fed up with the petty crime we suffer from. Usual really - graffiti, car damage - 3 windows smashed in 4 years, random stuff sprayed on the cars, mastic put in the locks, - general lack of civic amenities. Southend Council is too poor to fix a land-slip on the sea front, yet tax went up just under 20% last year. Still love the place, just fancy a change of scenery.

We spent 5 weeks last year in a camper van travelling around both the North and South islands. Enjoyed it all, so we're not looking too hard at locations, more at where the work is for Ton. I will do whatever comes along to keep us in beer and chips. Oh - and NZ pies.... <homer simpson> mmmmMMMMMMmmmm Piiiiiiiiiie </hs> :p

Was just wondering last night - how much should we expect to pay for a car? Something like a 1 litre, japanese runabout such as a Micra or somesuch. Any ideas?

Cheers all,

Wiz'n'Ton

sky Oct 11th 2006 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton

HelinUK - Probably a newbie question, but what's the ITA? :confused: So many different accronym's I am still trying to suss them all out! Where abouts in NZ are you thinking of heading to when it's all sorted out?

Jude J - Southend is pretty much the same as usual. The pier burnt down (again!) last year and so it's being rebuilt. Life in the town is OK, but we are getting more than fed up with the petty crime we suffer from. Usual really - graffiti, car damage - 3 windows smashed in 4 years, random stuff sprayed on the cars, mastic put in the locks, - general lack of civic amenities. Southend Council is too poor to fix a land-slip on the sea front, yet tax went up just under 20% last year. Still love the place, just fancy a change of scenery.

We spent 5 weeks last year in a camper van travelling around both the North and South islands. Enjoyed it all, so we're not looking too hard at locations, more at where the work is for Ton. I will do whatever comes along to keep us in beer and chips. Oh - and NZ pies.... <homer simpson> mmmmMMMMMMmmmm Piiiiiiiiiie </hs> :p

Was just wondering last night - how much should we expect to pay for a car? Something like a 1 litre, japanese runabout such as a Micra or somesuch. Any ideas?

Cheers all,

Wiz'n'Ton

Try looking on Trade Me they sell everything on there including cars and it will give you a bit of an idea of prices :)

Wiz'n'Ton Oct 11th 2006 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sky
Try looking on Trade Me they sell everything on there including cars and it will give you a bit of an idea of prices :)

Nice one Sky - will have a peek when the boss ain't looking ;)

Am guessing it's www.trademe.co.nz or some-such?

Cheers for the pointer,

Wiz'N'Ton

cottageinthesky Oct 11th 2006 8:58 am

Nice one Sky - will have a peek when the boss ain't looking ;)

Am guessing it's www.trademe.co.nz or some-such?

Cheers for the pointer,

Wiz'N'Ton

www.trademe.co.nz - that's the one - useful for all sorts of things, cars, rentals, property, whiteware - which is kiwi for cookers, fridges, washing machines, tumble dryers - art...... you name it, trademe's got it!

Wiz'n'Ton Oct 11th 2006 9:50 am

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
www.trademe.co.nz - that's the one - useful for all sorts of things, cars, rentals, property, whiteware - which is kiwi for cookers, fridges, washing machines, tumble dryers - art...... you name it, trademe's got it!

<tries out the new lingo>

Sweet as!

</totnl>

Nice one cottageinthesky. Ta,

Wiz'n'Ton

PaulGent Oct 11th 2006 10:32 am

Hi all,

Wiz and Ton here, a married couple currently in Southend, Essex, UK. I’m nearly 30, Ton is 25. We are running down the road of immigration to NZ, and although we are well on the way, we’ve only just found this fantastic forum.

After a quick browse it seems that nearly all the answers are here already, so you may not see that much of us, but here’s our background.

We traveled the world for 6 months last year after getting married in August 05. We saw many spectacular things, and decided to give life in a different country a go. Our first choice was Christchurch in NZ, but Ton’s sister was very keen on coming too and they chose Perth, WA. We thought ‘what the hey’ and so said we’d go too. We pursued this avenue earlier in the year but it all fell through because Ton was a year short in Uni time for her teaching qualification to be recognized out there. Her sister is now preggers so they ain’t goin’ nowhere for a while now! This left us free to look again at NZ, and after a bit of soul searching we took the plunge.

We have given ‘The Emigration Group’ a big fat cheque to sort out all the paperwork, and aim to be out there in early Jan 07. From chatting to others we know that this could be unnecessary but after wasting time and money trying to go it alone in getting to Oz, we figured it will save us time and hassle.

Ton is a primary school teacher, and I’m a recruitment consultant specializing in the UK rail industry. Funnily enough, it’s Ton the NZ immigration are interested in. Hmmmm… I wonder why?! :p We are aiming at either Christchurch or the Bay of Plenty, but it really will depend on where Ton can find a job, as apparently primary isn’t all that easy out there at present.

We’ve remortgaged the house we live in to fund the move, and will be keeping it as a fall back as prices are going mental over here at the moment, with a friend renting it and covering the mortgage.

Ton’ll be looking for work out there as a primary school teacher, so if anyone has pointers on that then they’d be much appreciated. I have a degree in Marine Biology and so am interested in going in that direction, but will happily jump into any recruitment role – anyone know of any recruiment companies looking at the moment?

There’s loads more to tell, but we’ll bore you with that another time. We just wanted to poke our heads above the parapet and say hi. So erm… ‘Hi’!

Look forward to chatting more in the near future,

Wiz’n’Ton

Hi...just let me know wot questions you need answered and I will do my best. We been here in Bay of Plenty for a year now and also rented in Auckland for 3 months.

Happy to help

Paul

helinuk Oct 11th 2006 12:34 pm

:)

Cheers all,

Wiz'n'Ton

Expression of interest= EOI
Invitation to Apply= ITA

all on NZIS website = New Zealand immigration service website :)

danny.f Oct 11th 2006 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk
:)

Expression of interest= EOI
Invitation to Apply= ITA

all on NZIS website = New Zealand immigration service website :)

Hey H,did you recently go to see Robbie Williams in M Keynes?

helinuk Oct 11th 2006 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f
Hey H,did you recently go to see Robbie Williams in M Keynes?

NO it wasn't me, I know there were several people talking about a while ago- Ask in Kiwibar.