British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Newbies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/newbies-874558/)

Meliojd1 Mar 19th 2016 8:27 am

Newbies

Hi

My husband and I have been here just over a month now. We are loving life here so far. We are moving into a rental apartment in Epsom in a couple of weeks and looking forward to our container arriving and getting settled in. I came over here with a job offer and started my job after 4 days of arriving and my husband has been applying since we arrived and started this week. Would love to hear from other people in the area to maybe arrange a meet up.

xxx

scrubbedexpat045 Mar 21st 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Newbies

Hi,

I'm sure you'll have settled in quite nicely by now! How's it going?

We are looking to move over in June/ July time, I've had a couple of job offers and I'm battling my way through the visa paperwork. :fingerscrossed:

Both officially newbies at this thing so any advice is welcome!

Meliojd1 Mar 22nd 2016 1:15 am

Hi Hannah

Welcome. It is going well work is a challenge and big adjustment at the moment but I am trying to take each day as it goes. What field do you work in and where are you looking to live? The visa paperwork can be tricky we had an immigration company to do ours which helped. They took care of most of it. The only thing that held us up was the medicals. But was applied in the October and got the visa's the end of Jan and flew the beginning of Feb. I would advise you to bring your furniture etc from home as it is expensive here and if you have your own car to bring that as well. The removal company we used was PSS they were really good. It is worth getting a quote from a few. Get everything decluttered and ready for packing in plenty of time, get all of your wood treated and clean all of your shoes and outdoor stuff in good time.

Anything you want to know give me a shout. This is a beautiful country and feel lucky that I can pop in the car and can be at the beach in less than 10 mins. Its autumn here and the weather is still amazing i'm still in t-shirt and shorts.

Mel

moorel638 Jul 7th 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Mel, hope things are still going well and your kiwi adventure is on track. I am planning my move for early next year, before the Lions Rugby Tour, I have a Visa interview next Tuesday with an immigration company to fully start the process. Since you have already been through this can I gain some of your wisdom...

Did you think the immigration company were worth the money, thinking that they take most of the stress out of the process?

I'm sure I will find out on Tuesday but what does the medical entail? Do you have to be ailment free?

I know about cleaning /disinfecting shoes but what treatment does wood furniture need?

Car? I have previously threaded about cars ref bring or buy but still not sure, what do you think, what did you take over (Asian or European make?)?

If you have any other golden nuggets I am on permanent receive, cheers Loz. :-)

MrsFychan Jul 7th 2016 7:52 pm

firstly Mel glad things are going well for you and your OH.
If you are wanting to met up perhaps post in the main forum sure there will be someone close by that will be able to.

as for the use of immigration agents although Mel said she found them helpful personally and from what others state on the forum if your application is straight forward then save your money and do it yourself. Agents just middle men that shuffle paper for the majority of cases and also can hold things up with them being asked for things from the case officer then them having to ask you, you giving it to the agent then them passing on to the case officer and it stops you, as the applicant, having a personal relationship with your case officer.
Medicals are weight, bmi, sight (?),urine test, chest xrays and for women over 40 breast exam, and lots of questions on medical history. You have to use an approved medical examiner as listed on the Immigration website. It can be quite expensive and some approved medical centres are few and far between so there may also be some travel costs. If you are lucky enough to have a couple in your area it is best to ring round and get prices.

moorel638 Jul 7th 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks for this info Mrs F, gratefully received I can assure you. Medical is much more thorough than I expected but on reflection probably necessary. I will look for an approved medical examiner near me from the list; thanks again for the steer on this.
You've got me thinking about whether an agent is the way forward now. I think I need a stab at the forms myself and make that contact with a case officer to get the process sorted. Money in my pocket is always better than in someone else's.

Thanks for the help, Loz

MrsFychan Jul 8th 2016 2:30 am

Originally Posted by moorel638 (Post 11996909)
Thanks for this info Mrs F, gratefully received I can assure you. Medical is much more thorough than I expected but on reflection probably necessary. I will look for an approved medical examiner near me from the list; thanks again for the steer on this.
You've got me thinking about whether an agent is the way forward now. I think I need a stab at the forms myself and make that contact with a case officer to get the process sorted. Money in my pocket is always better than in someone else's.

Thanks for the help, Loz

it time consuming but even if you have an agent you still have to supply all the forms anyway. the guide is good and as long as you follow it it will all come together properly. and of course you have us that have already done it do steer you. we cannot be seen as agents as we are not the information on the sight is from personal experience and what others have gleamed from the site.

wakwak Aug 22nd 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Everyone, we are also newbies on here.

Coming over hopefully Feb next year, interviews for OH October/November - he's a builder so we have high hopes :)

Mel, you mentioned treating your wood, what sort of treatment should we be looking at? We've had some good advice from PSS and Bonner's, about to select one of the two to ship our house and car! Also bringing our doggies

My washer is on the blink so we weren't going to bring it but judging by comments on here we should replace and bring it? Thoughts?

Thanks and Hi x

Kotare Aug 22nd 2016 10:42 pm

The only wood they tend to get excited about are things like pine cones (xmas ornaments) which you should toss and items like rattan furniture which over to you (we bought some and no sweat).

Washing machine, if yours is broken I would buy here given warranty and as there are permanent sales on.