Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbie from Scotland

Newbie from Scotland

Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

dragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nice
Smile Newbie from Scotland

Hi,

My name is Marion and I am hoping to move to NZ (or possibly Oz) with my hubby Kev and our 12-year old son Ben.

We fell in love with the place when we visited last March. My sister emigrated there the year before and we were going out for her wedding. We really didn't want to come home and have been thinking of moving out ever since!

We have finally decided to really make an effort and find out if it is even going to be feasible. It seems to be really difficult and some of you have some real horror stories about the troubles you have had. But there are loads of success stories so I am keeping positive.

We live on an island off the West Coast of Scotland so moving to a city would be a real culture shock for us, but at least NZ cities aren't as big as some UK ones!

We loved ChCh and quite liked Dunedin but we may have to move to Auckland or Wellington for work - my OH is in IT.

I'll keep looking for ideas and inspiration from you all.

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Cheers,

Marion
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie from Scotland

Hi there,just to say welcome to BE. Take it you are on the Isle of Bute? We are heading to Dunedin at the end of June from Old Kilpatrick near Dumbarton. Never be afraid to ask anything,no matter how silly it may seem to you......someone has bound to have asked it before and been given the answer. We were all in your shoes once

Phyl x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

dragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nice

HI Phyl,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, that's exactly where we are!

We really fancy Dunedin too. Lucky you.

I'm realising already how useful this site is and intend to make the most of it.

What line of work are you in?

Marion
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marion

I am a psychiatric nurse, OH is a H & S officer have 2 boys aged 8 and 6. Got a job waiting at Dunedin hospital as well as my bestest mate and her family in Dunedin. Good luck.

Phyl x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds fab. No wonder you are excited!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:09 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dragon_lady_bute
Hi,

My name is Marion and I am hoping to move to NZ (or possibly Oz) with my hubby Kev and our 12-year old son Ben.

We fell in love with the place when we visited last March. My sister emigrated there the year before and we were going out for her wedding. We really didn't want to come home and have been thinking of moving out ever since!

We have finally decided to really make an effort and find out if it is even going to be feasible. It seems to be really difficult and some of you have some real horror stories about the troubles you have had. But there are loads of success stories so I am keeping positive.

We live on an island off the West Coast of Scotland so moving to a city would be a real culture shock for us, but at least NZ cities aren't as big as some UK ones!

We loved ChCh and quite liked Dunedin but we may have to move to Auckland or Wellington for work - my OH is in IT.

I'll keep looking for ideas and inspiration from you all.

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Cheers,

Marion
Hi Marion you have been lucky to come over first we had a holiday book to travel all of NZ BUT my other half sent off his CV to lots of companies with in 24hours in 2003 we had the first phone call with a job offer we placed the house on the market ...sold in 3 days.. so we always say it had to be...but I do have a friend that is from ChCh that is still in the uk she gave me lots os advise but I wish we had found expats so much more info good luck !!
Lin