Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbie in need of help

Newbie in need of help

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

robc1985 will become famous soon enough
Default Newbie in need of help

Hi there. I'm Rob and this is my first post on here.

I've been considering travelling or moving abroad for a while now and I am wanting to start doing something about it. I'm currently saving money so I have enough when the time does come (Ideally summer 2010)

I'm sure this has been asked loads before so i'm sorry in advance. I will hopefully be travelling or moving with my girlfriend so i'm asking you guys/ladies on what options I have.

What sort of Visa's are available? Example being, how long can I stay in a place for without a full Visa etc. If I am just 'travelling' then how long can I stay in the country working for etc etc? If I want to stay for longer what do I need to do etc.

Sorry if it's all mishmash and you must get asked this a lot.

Thankyou.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie in need of help

Originally Posted by robc1985
Hi there. I'm Rob and this is my first post on here.

I've been considering travelling or moving abroad for a while now and I am wanting to start doing something about it. I'm currently saving money so I have enough when the time does come (Ideally summer 2010)

I'm sure this has been asked loads before so i'm sorry in advance. I will hopefully be travelling or moving with my girlfriend so i'm asking you guys/ladies on what options I have.

What sort of Visa's are available? Example being, how long can I stay in a place for without a full Visa etc. If I am just 'travelling' then how long can I stay in the country working for etc etc? If I want to stay for longer what do I need to do etc.

Sorry if it's all mishmash and you must get asked this a lot.

Thankyou.
how old are you, if your both uner 30 a working holiday visa is a option, more limited in terms of work i suppose because its set up as a visa for working while travellling, but very easy to get. valid for a year with an option of extending to two years.

other option is to apply for residency, if you have enough points. you have to submit an expression of interest and then take it from there. better optin in teh long run if you wan tto move to nz long term, but more expensive and difficult to get.

you can get a work permit if you have a qualifying job offer

if you are planning to move with your gf you have to prove you are in a partnership, ie living together for (one of two??? cant remember) years etc.

Look on immigration.govt.nz for some more info

If you are just "visiting" i think you can stay for a max of 6 months as a tourist, but you are not allowed to work until you get a work permit.