Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbie! Looking forward to moving to NZ!

Newbie! Looking forward to moving to NZ!

Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Goldy02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie! Looking forward to moving to NZ!

Hi everyone We're really excited about finally making the decision to leave the UK. Reading all your threads has been very informative, interesting and educational to say the least.....as well as making us even more excited about our big move! But we are under no illusions, we understand that there will be a big transition to go through and we are prepared for this.

We have a relative who lives in Wellington (inland - not city) and have been contemplating moving to an area close to him; Wairarapa region. Does anybody have any information about this area?

My big concern is the children?! We have two boys aged 12 and 14 and are already in the process of investigating the schools around this area. We are planning the move so that our youngest starts secondary school in NZ and this would also mean that they can support each other in their new school.

Our eldest has Aspergers Syndrome and he finds any education system quite tricky! We understand that in NZ they can stay on at the secondary school/college until year 13 and we are hoping this will be helpful to him. He does struggle academically and although I have read that the education system over there does cater for special needs, is there anyone who has first hand experience with this please?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie! Looking forward to moving to NZ!

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierge in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldy02
Hi everyone We're really excited about finally making the decision to leave the UK. Reading all your threads has been very informative, interesting and educational to say the least.....as well as making us even more excited about our big move! But we are under no illusions, we understand that there will be a big transition to go through and we are prepared for this.

We have a relative who lives in Wellington (inland - not city) and have been contemplating moving to an area close to him; Wairarapa region. Does anybody have any information about this area?

My big concern is the children?! We have two boys aged 12 and 14 and are already in the process of investigating the schools around this area. We are planning the move so that our youngest starts secondary school in NZ and this would also mean that they can support each other in their new school.

Our eldest has Aspergers Syndrome and he finds any education system quite tricky! We understand that in NZ they can stay on at the secondary school/college until year 13 and we are hoping this will be helpful to him. He does struggle academically and although I have read that the education system over there does cater for special needs, is there anyone who has first hand experience with this please?
Hi & Goldy02. Sorry that I can't help you specifically but may I suggest that you post a couple of threads in the main forum asking about the Wairarapa region & also about schools/Aspergers syndrome. More of our regulars will see your posts there. There are a good number of posters in the Wellington region.

Best of luck with your plans & happy posting.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we are just north or Wellington coming here five years ago with our son who also suffers from Aspergers Syndrome. We have found the NZ schools to be fantastic for him and he has thoroughly enjoyed the experience himself. He has started college this year, year 9 in Tawa. We've found that for our son the support from his schools he has received thus far has helped tremendously with his own self confidence and has helped him academically. He enjoys his school life so much, he's hardly missed a day through illness... I'm sure where ever you reside you'l find plenty of schools willing to work with you and your child...
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Hi there, we are just north or Wellington coming here five years ago with our son who also suffers from Aspergers Syndrome. We have found the NZ schools to be fantastic for him and he has thoroughly enjoyed the experience himself. He has started college this year, year 9 in Tawa. We've found that for our son the support from his schools he has received thus far has helped tremendously with his own self confidence and has helped him academically. He enjoys his school life so much, he's hardly missed a day through illness... I'm sure where ever you reside you'l find plenty of schools willing to work with you and your child...
I knew someone would be able to help. Thank you
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You're a as always.

Did you need to show NZIS anything about your son's Asperger please?

ps
I used to work with Asperger lads in a dedicated school back in the UK. Lovely characters they were.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
You're a as always.

Did you need to show NZIS anything about your son's Asperger please?

ps
I used to work with Asperger lads in a dedicated school back in the UK. Lovely characters they were.
Nope nothing at all, just declared it to the doctor when he had his medical. Never heard another word...
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your comments It's good to know that there are schools over there who have a good level of support for ASD children. This has to be my main priority, my son's transition. I'm so glad your son is happy and has made a wonderful life at school. There is hope for our son! He doesn't have such a good time at his school over here even though it is a sought after school.

We have been looking around the area where you live and feel that perhaps this side of the island would be a good place to settle. Where are relative lives in Greytown does look pretty remote and I think there would be better opportunities and more things to do across your way. Also not so far to travel to beaches and to the main towns, especially where work is concerned.

Have you found the move to New Zealand a positive one? I have read such moans and groans from an awful lot of the posts and hardly any positive feedback?! I appreciate everybody has their own views and feelings but would be interested to hear your views if thats ok?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I knew someone would be able to help. Thank you
Thank you I took your advice and have placed a thread in the main forum and had some very interesting replies!! I do wish people would add some positives and not just negative responses about moving to New Zealand though?!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Thank you I took your advice and have placed a thread in the main forum and had some very interesting replies!! I do wish people would add some positives and not just negative responses about moving to New Zealand though?!
You're very welcome. But we are British & do enjoy a good moan . Don't let it put you off too much though. As long as you accept that NZ is not Britain, nor a mini version of Britain & it isn't Utopia either, you'll be fine. It's very easy to come here with rose-tinted specs on & expect life to suddenly wonderful.

It will depend very much on your personality, I'm a born pessimist, so no hope for me There are lots of positives here & sometimes I have to pinch myself that we live here. The weather is better than the UK. I miss those UK long summer evenings but not the short winter days. I don't particularly miss Xmas being cold & dark but I do miss UK clothes shopping.

Swings & Roundabouts. All-in-all I'm glad we came. For me, I'm not sure it's forever but who knows what the future holds.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much for your comments It's good to know that there are schools over there who have a good level of support for ASD children. This has to be my main priority, my son's transition. I'm so glad your son is happy and has made a wonderful life at school. There is hope for our son! He doesn't have such a good time at his school over here even though it is a sought after school.

We have been looking around the area where you live and feel that perhaps this side of the island would be a good place to settle. Where are relative lives in Greytown does look pretty remote and I think there would be better opportunities and more things to do across your way. Also not so far to travel to beaches and to the main towns, especially where work is concerned.

Have you found the move to New Zealand a positive one? I have read such moans and groans from an awful lot of the posts and hardly any positive feedback?! I appreciate everybody has their own views and feelings but would be interested to hear your views if thats ok?
Sending you a PM...