British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Newbie...how will we fare? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/newbie-how-will-we-fare-637753/)

Stormer999 Oct 27th 2009 1:29 pm

Newbie...how will we fare?

Right folks Hello from the UK...Midlands to be exact, 12:30 on Tuesday 27th...quite mild and the usual dark grey coloured sky! I have been following various posts with great interest and feel it's about time that I started to pick your brains. I retire Aug 2011 though I am only biding my time in a small job at the mo. My wife is a lot younger than me and our ticket in to NZ so to speak. She works in diagnostics of infectious diseases and is a PHD only the two of us. We intend to move out of the UK in 2011 and move to where OH job will take us in NZ. House is paid for (£300k) which we will sell prior to our move. My private pension will amount to £12.6k per annum and state pension £9.1k. After NZ taxes leaving approx $40k NZD tot. OH wage to add. Views advice and criticism as harsh as you like please....We did come over last year to see what all the fuss is about. My Welsh rellies went to NZ many years ago and not one of them ever stepped foot back in the UK...so you must have something other than a great Rugby side!

Kija Oct 27th 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Newbie...how will we fare?

Soz can't help you with any info as we're sort of in the same boat (hoping to move to NZ) but just wanted to welcome you to the forum :) You'll find loads of information here.

Kiwi-Irish Oct 27th 2009 1:56 pm

Personally, I think NZ is a good choice for retirees, it does have a much slower pace of life ... hence making it a pleasant place to be.
Its quite cold in the South (especially in winter [countless posts about this on the forum btw]) - the North Island is better climate-wise.
Just make sure you have enough money, as it is more expensive than the UK by-and-large.

Genesis Oct 27th 2009 5:07 pm

Re: Bridge burning.

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8048470)
Right folks Hello from the UK...Midlands to be exact, 12:30 on Tuesday 27th...quite mild and the usual dark grey coloured sky! I have been following various posts with great interest and feel it's about time that I started to pick your brains. I retire Aug 2011 though I am only biding my time in a small job at the mo. My wife is a lot younger than me and our ticket in to NZ so to speak. She works in diagnostics of infectious diseases and is a PHD. We intend to move out of the UK in 2011 and move to where OH job will take us in NZ. House is paid for (£300k) which we will sell prior to our move (hence the bridge burning bit). My private pension will amount to £12.6k per annum and state pension £9.1k. After NZ taxes leaving approx $40k NZD tot. Views advice and criticism as harsh as you like please....We did come over last year to see what all the fuss is about. My Welsh rellies went to NZ many years ago and not one of them ever stepped foot back in the UK...so you must have something other than a great Rugby side!

So you will have all the equity, your pensions and your wifes wages? If that is the case you will be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo well off here you will be wondering why you didn't do it earlier. We had similar equity but no pension and the change to our lives was and still is amazing. We sold a house for 317k GBP in 2005 and what we bought for half of that in NZ is so much nicer than what we left behind. Doubt in real terms if house prices have risen that much since 2005..well ours hasn't. Get on and get over here and enjoy NZ!!!

Stormer999 Oct 27th 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Bridge burning.

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8048985)
So you will have all the equity, your pensions and your wifes wages? If that is the case you will be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo well off here you will be wondering why you didn't do it earlier. We had similar equity but no pension and the change to our lives was and still is amazing. We sold a house for 317k GBP in 2005 and what we bought for half of that in NZ is so much nicer than what we left behind. Doubt in real terms if house prices have risen that much since 2005..well ours hasn't. Get on and get over here and enjoy NZ!!!

In that case roll on 2011 or if the chance of the OH's out from her present job cones sooner.............

MnB Oct 27th 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8048557)
Right folks Hello from the UK...Midlands to be exact, 12:30 on Tuesday 27th...quite mild and the usual dark grey coloured sky! I have been following various posts with great interest and feel it's about time that I started to pick your brains. I retire Aug 2011 though I am only biding my time in a small job at the mo. My wife is a lot younger than me and our ticket in to NZ so to speak. She works in diagnostics of infectious diseases and is a PHD only the two of us. We intend to move out of the UK in 2011 and move to where OH job will take us in NZ. House is paid for (£300k) which we will sell prior to our move. My private pension will amount to £12.6k per annum and state pension £9.1k. After NZ taxes leaving approx $40k NZD tot. OH wage to add. Views advice and criticism as harsh as you like please....We did come over last year to see what all the fuss is about. My Welsh rellies went to NZ many years ago and not one of them ever stepped foot back in the UK...so you must have something other than a great Rugby side!

Welcome to this friendly forum!
Sounds like you will be well sorted financially!!...but then again depends on sort of lifestyle you are used too or want to 'find', if you get what I mean!?
Whatever:unsure: Good luck with your plans!!
B