Newbie Here...Hello

Newbie Here...Hello

Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

elk1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Here...Hello

Hi Peeps

thought I will introduce myself.

Hubby and I and 3 children are British Expats currently living in Dubai, and looking to make the move to NZ. Yes I will really miss the Dubai lifestyle, but that's ok I have my head around NZ and ready to put down some firm roots, I also think NZ will be healthier for the kids physically and socially - too much excess here.

I have 3 skype interviews this week (fingers crossed) and hubby is waiting to hear back form his interviews. If we're successful we will apply for Essential Skills work visa and once in NZ will go down the EOI route.

I am quite confident we will get offers soon.

Little bit worried about schools though. Eldest is 11 and will be entering what NZ call intermediate, I also have 7 year old and a 4 and half year old. Here the 4 year old is in school but in NZ she will go into a nursery.
Our summer hols start end of June if we make it to NZ July/August - have to rush around finding 3 different school types, nursery, primary and intermediate....really worried about that, and then NZ have they're long holidays December to Jan so the girls will miss 6 months of schooling
On another note do professional families out there have nannies/housekeepers? and where's the best place to find someone, looked on Trademe..nothing.
Can you hear my anxiousness in my mail
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Here...Hello

Originally Posted by elk1973
Hi Peeps

thought I will introduce myself.

Hubby and I and 3 children are British Expats currently living in Dubai, and looking to make the move to NZ. Yes I will really miss the Dubai lifestyle, but that's ok I have my head around NZ and ready to put down some firm roots, I also think NZ will be healthier for the kids physically and socially - too much excess here.

I have 3 skype interviews this week (fingers crossed) and hubby is waiting to hear back form his interviews. If we're successful we will apply for Essential Skills work visa and once in NZ will go down the EOI route.

I am quite confident we will get offers soon.

Little bit worried about schools though. Eldest is 11 and will be entering what NZ call intermediate, I also have 7 year old and a 4 and half year old. Here the 4 year old is in school but in NZ she will go into a nursery.
Our summer hols start end of June if we make it to NZ July/August - have to rush around finding 3 different school types, nursery, primary and intermediate....really worried about that, and then NZ have they're long holidays December to Jan so the girls will miss 6 months of schooling
On another note do professional families out there have nannies/housekeepers? and where's the best place to find someone, looked on Trademe..nothing.
Can you hear my anxiousness in my mail
Hi,
Welcome.

I'd say not. Professional families do not have nannies/housekeepers.
Too expensive I'd say.

I can guarantee the lifestyle here is completely different to the UAE especially where money is concerned and the extravagancies / conveniences that are lost when you arrive here.

I only have a tiny bit of experience with the UAE. I've had very good friends who lived in Abu Dhabi for 5 years and we visited March 2012 on our emigration trip here. Couldn't beleive how looked after they were by their companies and how they had complete disregard for money and frittered it away on anything and everything they could while still saving masses for their future emigration plans.
Fantastic lifestyle for sure but they were both ready to get back to reality, paying taxes and bills instead of living the playboy lifestyle.

Funnily enough they emigrated to Christchurch just a couple of months ago and can't beleive how different the lifestyle is here.
Had my mate on the phone the other day complaining that McDonalds doesn't do home delivery ha ha - As if!!!

Where abouts do you think you will be heading to ?

Regards,
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

So how do families work?
In the UK I worked full time, and so did hubby, so I had a nanny/housekeeper to look after things so I could work. I need this because of the ages and the fact they will all be going to different schools.
If NZ doesn't have nannies/au pairs how do two people work?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:25 pm
HPP
Just Joined

HPP is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you can afford them you would find no problem in recruiting them.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:13 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elk1973
If NZ doesn't have nannies/au pairs how do two people work?
, you gotta be a troll................standby for incoming !

Good luck with the adjustment phase of 'compound life' to NZ 'life' !! You and your smugness are in for one hell of a shock !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 9th 2013 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:20 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if the children are at school some have after school care running til 5.30-6.00.
others use child minders. not sure about nanny services as not experienced any.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

standby for incoming !
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

In the UK I used aupairs, don't need one here as kids are too old now but there must be foreign aupairs that want to come to NZ.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:06 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I know of two couples who employ nannies. Hardly power couples, but busy enough for them to justify doing so.

I also know a working single mum who has a au pair.

So lets try not to judge.

A simple google search will list the various agencies.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Briefly.

Hi and welcome.

and...

I know of a kiwi family here who employ a nanny as they both work, so this is perfectly possible for you too.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Ok Thanks -