Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Newbie Heading for Tauranga

Newbie Heading for Tauranga

Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:59 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all
Smile Newbie Heading for Tauranga

Hi everyone especially those in Tauranga.

Although I am new, I feel like I already know plenty of you from reading your many posts on here........

Our family are hopefully heading out to Tauranga, The Mount or Papamoa before Christmas this year.

We have applied for a long term business visa 3 weeks ago and are waiting for a response from INZ. Don't know how long this will take

My name is Ellen, husband Duncan, daughter Siobhan 13 and son Ethan 8 oh and I mustn't forget our West Highland white terrier Molly who is 18 months old!

We currently live in Yorkshire but dream of a life by the beach and we loved Tauranga when we visited earlier this year.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:41 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Heading for Tauranga

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
We have applied for a long term business visa 3 weeks ago and are waiting for a response from INZ. Don't know how long this will take
Welcome! From all reports you may need a big dose of perseveirance (sp??) with that visa route but stick with it!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Racka Stubbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Where abouts in yorkshire are you? we Left huddersfield 16months ago and wouldn't go back....... stick to it ...you'll wanna give up but its all worth it whan you get here!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:46 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Hi Racka
We were in Collingham, Wetherby for 10 years. We sold our house in May and are now in rented in Knaresborough waiting for the go ahead?
What do you think of Papamoa?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:47 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

I have heard mixed reports on timings for LTBV from 5 weeks to 8 weeks are you suggesting it might be longer Simonsi?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Racka Stubbs is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard mixed reports on timings for LTBV from 5 weeks to 8 weeks are you suggesting it might be longer Simonsi?
Papamoa is nice very clean and well kept area but we lived in a170 year old house in the uk so its all abit 'new' for me. having said that you are never more than a 10min walk to the beach and there are a few good schools (new college opening in feb) schools are zoned so that might affect where you choose to live.
I love it down at the mount but housing is pricey ....not much middle ground, either old rundown baches or larger more expensive houses, and all owners seem to know that the mount attracts money so they are all looking for their lucky sale to someone who can afford to rip it down and start again!

BTW we used to have a static at Knaresborough, love it down by the water!

you'll be here before you know it!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:19 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

That seems unreasonably quick given the complexity of that visa, there are stories on here of 2-3mths to start processing let alone issue of the visa. Is your business case rock solid and ready, inc the requirement to hire kiwis and achieve the targets that are set??
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by simonsi
Welcome! From all reports you may need a big dose of perseveirance (sp??) with that visa route but stick with it!
That's the best spelling of perseverance I've seen

And I'm not sure that Yorkshire and BoP are really comparable. Although Rotorua has occasionally reminded me of Donny on a friday night ....

Good luck with the application!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:34 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia
Only one extra letter
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:16 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Racka Stubbs
Papamoa is nice very clean and well kept area but we lived in a170 year old house in the uk so its all abit 'new' for me. having said that you are never more than a 10min walk to the beach and there are a few good schools (new college opening in feb) schools are zoned so that might affect where you choose to live.
I love it down at the mount but housing is pricey ....not much middle ground, either old rundown baches or larger more expensive houses, and all owners seem to know that the mount attracts money so they are all looking for their lucky sale to someone who can afford to rip it down and start again!

BTW we used to have a static at Knaresborough, love it down by the water!

you'll be here before you know it!!!!
We stayed atn The Mount and loved it too but don't think we will be able to afford it initially what with buying the business.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:18 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by simonsi
That seems unreasonably quick given the complexity of that visa, there are stories on here of 2-3mths to start processing let alone issue of the visa. Is your business case rock solid and ready, inc the requirement to hire kiwis and achieve the targets that are set??
We are buying a franchise and have worked with an immigration adviser in NZ to prepare the business plan and application so hopefully we have done our homework thorougly.
What do you do Simonsi?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:22 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia

And I'm not sure that Yorkshire and BoP are really comparable. Although Rotorua has occasionally reminded me of Donny on a friday night ....

Good luck with the application!
Yorkshire is a beautiful county and no it doesn't compare with BOP which has the majestic sea.....
but Rotorua is just plain ugly IMHO and we couldn't get out quick enough. Arrived for 4 nights and stayed for one. It felt like a staged theme park. Best bit was the sky ride.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Yorkshire is a beautiful county and no it doesn't compare with BOP which has the majestic sea.....
but Rotorua is just plain ugly IMHO and we couldn't get out quick enough. Arrived for 4 nights and stayed for one. It felt like a staged theme park. Best bit was the sky ride.
Ah, see I can understand your impression of Rotorua...but living here it's a bit different. I suppose it's a bit like living in Scarborough - you avoid all the touristy bits (when you want) and hang out elsewhere.

I've only been here a month, don't know why I'm defending the place! It's certainly not perfect...

Franchise set-up sounds promising, although I've no idea how long that might take versus other applications. But exciting stuff!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:13 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome.

I can't help you with the LTBV or processing times, but from what i can remember reading it is more straightforward when buying in to a franchise.

We have been in Papamoa for 3.5 years now and I love it. The Mount is lovely too, but gets pretty over run in Summer, whereas move further along to Papamoa and it is definately quieter. Somedays you have the beach to yourself, not that hard I guess seeing as there's something like 23kms of it!

I have an 18, 15, 11 and 8 year old, ask away if you have any questions.