Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

newbee looking for friends

newbee looking for friends

Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

nelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the rough
Default newbee looking for friends

Hiya,
have just joined, after a year of my hubby being on here and talking a lot about what people are saying thought it was about time I had a look.

We've been in NZ two years, first year in wellington, second in Nelson, I work from home and so am finding it hard making connections with people. Wellington wasnt so bad, more people and more jobs, so I was 'out there' a bit more but although I absolutely love Nelson I have been finding it harder to be so far away from the UK.

I am heavily into Organics and have my own organic beauty/holistic therapy studio, which Nelson has been great at supporting, so am very grateful for that.

Also love cats, and ours coming from the Uk make it feel like home all the time!

Would love to hear from you
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Lincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really nice
Smile Re: newbee looking for friends

Hi, we are looking at moving up North from Balclutha maybe to Nelson with my husband and two teenage daughters. Our house has just gone on the market this week and we have an open home next weekend so fingers crossed.We are going to see how much interest there is then take a trip up to Nelson and have a good look around. We have lived in Balclutha for 3 years now and feel far to isolated in terms of people places and opportunities and I feel exactly like you have found it hard to make any friends. Glad to hear that you like Nelson and all the reports from Nelson are encouraging I have also heard that the happiest people in NZ live in Nelson: Wouldn't mind being one of them!!
Lincolnshire Lass
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Dirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: newbee looking for friends

hi guys, we're currently living in the uk but I'm looking at a vacancy in Nelson..We're trying to research the area,it looks like paradise but the salary is pretty poor by uk standards and we cant suss out the cost of living. We also have 2 kids and my wife works in a cat sanctuary. Appreciate any feedback!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Nols473 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there
we r still in the UK as well but plan to emigrate in the next yr to NZ. We just come back from 6wk holiday in NZ and travelled North and South Island, Nelson was lovelly.
Id say overall cost of living would be cheaper, car fuel is a 3rd the cost, heating would be minimal, food is similar altho id say some stuff dearer some cheaper than here.
cheers Nols
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

The Nelson and Bays area is stunning. No two ways about that. It is stunning. Anyone coming here with family will be able to find a great outdoors 'lifestyle'.

When you are looking at wages & cost of living please DON'T don't any of you fall into the old trap of comparing or converting back to prices or wages in the UK. You will not be earning UK £££ , you will be earning NZ $$$.

Wages aren't high in NZ. In the Nelson and Bays region it is called the 'sunshine dollars' . It is considered a more expensive place to live than some other areas. We can have city prices [ Nelson is a small city] but not earn city wages.

Having said that, we know plenty of expats that are enjoying their family lives here & are managing with the wages and cost of living expenses.

Please have a search on the main NZ forum for threads about costs of living , wages and lifestyle or perhaps start your own thread there about this.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:34 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonchick View Post
Hiya,
have just joined, after a year of my hubby being on here and talking a lot about what people are saying thought it was about time I had a look.

We've been in NZ two years, first year in wellington, second in Nelson, I work from home and so am finding it hard making connections with people. Wellington wasnt so bad, more people and more jobs, so I was 'out there' a bit more but although I absolutely love Nelson I have been finding it harder to be so far away from the UK.

I am heavily into Organics and have my own organic beauty/holistic therapy studio, which Nelson has been great at supporting, so am very grateful for that.

Also love cats, and ours coming from the Uk make it feel like home all the time!

Would love to hear from you
Karma to you Nelsonchick
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice

Hi, I'm new to this forum too, and am in Nelson. I too brought my 3 cats and a dog with me, and what a blessing they were, they kept me sane until our house sold in UK and we could get our own place!!!! it was very stresssful
I don't work so am finding it hard to get new friends, thats the only thing from UK I miss, I certainly didn't miss the snow last week!!

well hopefully I'll chat to you more.
Carol
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Dirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the roughDirty Harry is a jewel in the rough

Hi guys, sounds encouraging for having some contacts 4 Nelson, however we cant PM anyone, so feel free to pm us. We appreciate any kinda information, I'm sure there is loads we can find out and look forward to hearing from you !!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

nelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lincolnshire Lass View Post
Hi, we are looking at moving up North from Balclutha maybe to Nelson with my husband and two teenage daughters. Our house has just gone on the market this week and we have an open home next weekend so fingers crossed.We are going to see how much interest there is then take a trip up to Nelson and have a good look around. We have lived in Balclutha for 3 years now and feel far to isolated in terms of people places and opportunities and I feel exactly like you have found it hard to make any friends. Glad to hear that you like Nelson and all the reports from Nelson are encouraging I have also heard that the happiest people in NZ live in Nelson: Wouldn't mind being one of them!!
Lincolnshire Lass
Hi, yeah I can imagine it being very isolated down there!
Hey if you want someone to show you round nelson if you come, Ill be happy to.
It has got a great feel to it here, am sure you'll love it!!
Good luck with the moving etc!!
Vicky
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
hi guys, we're currently living in the uk but I'm looking at a vacancy in Nelson..We're trying to research the area,it looks like paradise but the salary is pretty poor by uk standards and we cant suss out the cost of living. We also have 2 kids and my wife works in a cat sanctuary. Appreciate any feedback!!!
Hi!
What cat sanctary does she work at??
I used to work at wood green animal shelters in godmanchester (near cambs) I love it!!
Yeah is harder to save here but we have survived buying our first house and saving to go back to the Uk for a holiday all with my husband bringing in the main wage whilst i set up my business!! not bad hey?!
Maybe we dont spend much, but still am amazed we've done so much with so little!
The outdoors lifestyle is great, and means you dont always end up spending lots when you go out!
Also is very much a do it yourself culture, rather than pay for someone else to do it!
Good luck anyway
Vicky
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 4kiwi4 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum too, and am in Nelson. I too brought my 3 cats and a dog with me, and what a blessing they were, they kept me sane until our house sold in UK and we could get our own place!!!! it was very stresssful
I don't work so am finding it hard to get new friends, thats the only thing from UK I miss, I certainly didn't miss the snow last week!!

well hopefully I'll chat to you more.
Carol
Hi Carol,
Me too, our two cats definaltly made it so much easier coming here, also when we came back from our first holiday in the UK the cats made us feel as if we were coming home, and not just leaving our friends again!
I did miss the snow tho! feel like i havent seen any for ages, must make a point of going skiiing this winter!!
I dont miss the cold tho!! at least the temperatures stay above 0 here!!
If you fancy a coffee anytime, let me know.
Im 29, and work part time so often at a loose end!
Vicky
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Apologies if anyone pm'ed us, I just found out I cant open them yet.
Would be interested in finding out the cost of moving out there, including
bringing 4 cats and a dog!!!!!
Wot r the restaurants and Bars like in Nelson, not that I think we'll have any money left to visit them.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice
Smile Re: newbee looking for friends

Hi, I did pm you, but never mind eh?
well we brought out 3 cats and a dog in September and it cost us 3,500 GBP incl vet bills and boarding for one night. Depends on your dog size too, ours is a cocker.
We were lucky with the actual shipping of our stuff, hubby worked for a shipping co. so got a 40' container with everything we own, including a car, shipped for 1,800 GBP all in.
Restaurants and bars are good, but be warned shops shut lunch time on Saturdays, which you do get used to, but we do have a mall in Richmond which is open 7 days a week and is pretty good.
Our solicitors cost to move to our place was very cheap compared with in UK, and we moved in within two weeks!!!! which is pretty much the norm here, everything is easier. But I think if you want to sell, the estate agents fees are a LOT dearer, so make sure you get something you really like, or it'll cost you a fortune if you want to move on.
Feel free to PM me when you are allowed???? why can you not? I've only just joined and can? well anyway good luck. Carol
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:52 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Wot r the restaurants and Bars like in Nelson, not that I think we'll have any money left to visit them.
Hi, we moved two cats out here via jets 4 pets and cost us 1500 pounds, all together, inc the vets fees in Uk.
And we condensed our stuff and shipped it (took 3 months to arrive) down to 1 square metre! Yes we sold almost everything we owned to help fund the trip!! That cost 500 pounds I think.
The are quite a few nice bars and restaurants in nelson, but if its a week night nothing stays open very late. Its funny cos the price between the nicest place in nelson and a not so nice one doesnt vary like it does in UK, the 'best' place to eat is still affordable, we found that quite weird.
But Im vegetarian so still find it hard getting more than one choice on the menu!! so dont tend to eat out all that much

I agree was amazed with the speed and cheapness of buying a house here! we moved in within two weeks too!
And the bank gave us half the money for a solicitor so only cost us $400! which is nothing in comparason.
They even gave us a mortgage when I was self employed and we were buying in another island!!! (i think it was just cos they liked us)

Vicky
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Oops did it agian, my husband keeps not logging out!!!
Vicky