Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zeland Versus UK ??

New Zeland Versus UK ??

Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:14 am
Just Joined

MacD91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zeland Versus UK ??

Hello all , if you would like to give me some help making a decision on where to move in the next 2 years. Other than NZ , i was looking at Australia and Canada. I come from a Small town in Scotland with great views over the River Forth and a beach 10 Min's walk. I,M NOT SAYING ITS A PARIDICE cause it not, been traveling for over 25 years and going back to Scotland for about 2 years. Wife dose not want to live there. So this is why I'm Hunting a new home
Just been reading the threads and seen some things that seemed a little concern , the wages are 50% less than in the UK. The Property (rented) seems bad condition and over priced the weather seems a little cold. I'm Not looking for a heat wave as i hate it when its to0 hot. Could someone give me a little positive input to NZ compared to the UK, Thanks for your time..
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Zeland Versus UK ??

What doesn't your wife like?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:31 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe all you read! And remember that the comments made are someone else's personal view on it and they might just have been having a bad day or might genuinely dislike it.

Not all rentals are bad, cold or draughty. Not all jobs are low paid. And it very much depends on your own personal situation. If you were bringing enough money over with you that you could buy a house outright (and you can get some real bargains for around $300k) then you would be mortgage free so your monthly take home would go further. Its all swings and roundabouts really. And it depends what your line of work is. And what you are looking for in life.

If you want UK tv (as some coming here still expect ), a warmer climate, familiar food, great views and a slower pace of life, then I would recommend the Isle of Wight. Lived there for 16 years.

If you want to embrace a new culture, a new way of life, and you don't mind taking the rough with the smooth whilst enjoying the awesome scenery and laid back lifestyle, then come on over!

It's winter here. I can only say it's the best winter I've ever had. Huge blue sky, plenty of sunshine. Yes, there have been grey days and the odd day of rain, but no more hats, scarves and gloves etc. We've had temperatures of 24, 26 and even 28 deg in our back garden. Not typical agreed, but 10-18 deg normally and I think that just fantastic.

Yes, unless you're loaded, you have to be a bit more careful when shopping and shop as the Kiwis do - buy in bulk when things are on special. There are a lot of people who knock the quality of the meat, fruit and veg and yes the top quality stuff gets exported - its how they make a living, but that doesn't mean we're left with scraps to fight over! It's just my opinion but we've never eaten so well. I do far more home baking which I'm loving, and providing wholesome and nutritious meals for my family with all fresh ingredients. And the fruit and veg here actually taste like they are supposed to!

If you've got the money would suggest you come over on a recce and check it out for yourself. Only you will know if the place 'fits' for you.

Good luck Mandie
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS here
What doesn't your wife like?
Well the crime, lower class, education system. And just a general bitching that comes in the work force. Looking for somewhere to relax a little and live at the same time without too much worries for the the kid and his future.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Don't believe all you read! And remember that the comments made are someone else's personal view on it and they might just have been having a bad day or might genuinely dislike it.

Not all rentals are bad, cold or draughty. Not all jobs are low paid. And it very much depends on your own personal situation. If you were bringing enough money over with you that you could buy a house outright (and you can get some real bargains for around $300k) then you would be mortgage free so your monthly take home would go further. Its all swings and roundabouts really. And it depends what your line of work is. And what you are looking for in life.

If you want UK tv (as some coming here still expect ), a warmer climate, familiar food, great views and a slower pace of life, then I would recommend the Isle of Wight. Lived there for 16 years.

If you want to embrace a new culture, a new way of life, and you don't mind taking the rough with the smooth whilst enjoying the awesome scenery and laid back lifestyle, then come on over!

It's winter here. I can only say it's the best winter I've ever had. Huge blue sky, plenty of sunshine. Yes, there have been grey days and the odd day of rain, but no more hats, scarves and gloves etc. We've had temperatures of 24, 26 and even 28 deg in our back garden. Not typical agreed, but 10-18 deg normally and I think that just fantastic.

Yes, unless you're loaded, you have to be a bit more careful when shopping and shop as the Kiwis do - buy in bulk when things are on special. There are a lot of people who knock the quality of the meat, fruit and veg and yes the top quality stuff gets exported - its how they make a living, but that doesn't mean we're left with scraps to fight over! It's just my opinion but we've never eaten so well. I do far more home baking which I'm loving, and providing wholesome and nutritious meals for my family with all fresh ingredients. And the fruit and veg here actually taste like they are supposed to!

If you've got the money would suggest you come over on a recce and check it out for yourself. Only you will know if the place 'fits' for you.

Good luck Mandie
Yeah thanks for the post . I will be coming over once Ive got a better idea just doing a mind recce first
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:46 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Mandie if you think this is a good winter then you have not seen a bad winter yet

Seriously though even a bad winter in New Zealand beats a good winter in Scotland no matter where you live.

Echoing that not all rentals are bad but then again if you own your own property then your the boss not at te whims of what a Landlord says can or can not been done.

To be honest you head to the south island you will think your back in scotland with some of the place names and fantastic views of the mountains. Invercargill is one of the up and coming areas and despite people thinking its cold it is actually quite pleasant. New Zealands climate is dictated by which way the wind blows and where you live. Dont matter where you live if a storm comes up from the south even in summer you can watch the thermometer drop 20c in a couple of hours

Once that southerly blast is gone (usually 24 hours its back to basking in the sun Basically bad weather is short and sharp.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:38 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by workingNOMAD
When I lived in Christchurch during the winter the temp never got anywhere near 28 degrees. I find that very hard to believe.

Nope it does happen especially with a Northwester blowing. In fact Canterbury has had a high fire risk last couple of days. Forget exactly when it was but Christchurch had snow on the Port Hills one February recently, place is full of extremes.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:41 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Am not in Christchurch - am in Rangiora. Sorry for confusion. Will update my profile.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:59 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Nope it does happen especially with a Northwester blowing. In fact Canterbury has had a high fire risk last couple of days. Forget exactly when it was but Christchurch had snow on the Port Hills one February recently, place is full of extremes.
That's my experience living here in Christchurch. A couple of years ago we had snow mid-September and a week or so later the wind swung northwest and it was 27. Just this last week we had a few afternoons of shirt-sleeve weather and today it is expected to only get up to six degrees.
I love the weather here.

Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:07 pm
TeamEmbo

Yep, yesterday we were basking in glorious sunshine and got loads done in the garden. Today it's cold, grey and drizzly! Least the seeds were planted up for the vege patch are snuggled up in the propogator we made at the weekend! Definitely log burner and casserole weather today and possibly rest of this week
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:12 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MacD91
Hello all , if you would like to give me some help making a decision on where to move in the next 2 years. Other than NZ , i was looking at Australia and Canada. I come from a Small town in Scotland with great views over the River Forth and a beach 10 Min's walk. I,M NOT SAYING ITS A PARIDICE cause it not, been traveling for over 25 years and going back to Scotland for about 2 years. Wife dose not want to live there. So this is why I'm Hunting a new home
Just been reading the threads and seen some things that seemed a little concern , the wages are 50% less than in the UK. The Property (rented) seems bad condition and over priced the weather seems a little cold. I'm Not looking for a heat wave as i hate it when its to0 hot. Could someone give me a little positive input to NZ compared to the UK, Thanks for your time..
Less people, more open spaces.
Temperate climate.
Genuinely friendly locals.
[ROAR]
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Seriously though even a bad winter in New Zealand beats a good winter in Scotland no matter where you live.
A bad winter in NZ (at least here in Pommieora) beats a good summer in Scotland in my opinion! At least the sun shows its face at least once a week rather than once a month - until the harr blows in.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi macd
were also from scotland,tayport small town between dundee and st andrews..
lovely little town by the sea.....used to live in dalgety bay,which is probably quite near you...

nz is very like scotland,where we are in howick is lovely,again by the sea....
my oh is actually earning more hear than he was in scotland,doing the same job....

aparantly they don,t have anyone with his knowledge over here,so they have paid him well to come here,

the cost of living is probably more expensive,but you can live cheaper if you live like the kiwis......

if you shop like you do in scotland its expensive.......
but its alovely place,and i would say like scotland 10 years ago....
the peer pressure on the kids isn;t here the same...and they are more laid back...
we feel we have got our 13 year old back for the first time in ages...she is acting like a 13 year old again,and not trying to be 18 like the rest of the kids in uk....gl with your decisions
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Yep, yesterday we were basking in glorious sunshine and got loads done in the garden. Today it's cold, grey and drizzly! Least the seeds were planted up for the vege patch are snuggled up in the propogator we made at the weekend! Definitely log burner and casserole weather today and possibly rest of this week
Hi we are in UK doing lots of research are u north or south island. We looking for the warmest island and somewhere to buy eventually. will come out first for a hol I think and look round and see if we can get offers for the men folk in construction industry.
Im asking anyone for any help with information. thanks linda
Old Aug 19th 2007, 5:47 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bird family
Hi we are in UK doing lots of research are u north or south island. We looking for the warmest island and somewhere to buy eventually. will come out first for a hol I think and look round and see if we can get offers for the men folk in construction industry.
I'm asking anyone for any help with information. thanks linda
For the mildest temperatures head north. For the more extreme you have Alexandra in the South Island which will have New Zealand's coldest as well as warmest temperatures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.