Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealands best drives

View Poll Results: Top 10 as ranked by stuff -Which ones have you done, which did they miss out?
Stratford - Taumarunui ("Forgotten World Highway")
16.67%
Taihape - Napier ("Gentle Annie")
33.33%
Motueka - Collingwood
16.67%
Maungatapere - Kaikohe
0%
Westport - Kohaihai ("Karamea Highway")
50.00%
Chch-Culverden-Hanmer-Maruia Springs-Reefton-Westport-Punakaiki-Greymouth-Arthur's Pass-Chch
83.33%
Christchurch - Motunau Beach - Kaikoura
33.33%
Gisborne to Opotiki ("East Cape")
16.67%
Murupara to Wairoa ("SH38 through Te Urewera National Park")
16.67%
Christchurch - Akaroa - Christchurch
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

New Zealands best drives

Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:49 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile New Zealands best drives - Which have you done? Which would you add?

I love going for a good ride/drive and with the weather starting to get cooler it's a great way to get out of the house and go away for a weekend.

Last edited by Charismatic; Apr 18th 2019 at 1:06 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:28 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealands best drives

Rats. I missed the Motueka to Collingwood or onto Farewell Spit drive. We like to do this as once over the Takaka Hill it is like being in another land. It is stunning.

The drive down the South Island West Coast is spectacular and we've had guests that have done the OZ great ocean road trip and say that it certainly rivals that.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 11:38 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Rats. I missed the Motueka to Collingwood or onto Farewell Spit drive. We like to do this as once over the Takaka Hill it is like being in another land. It is stunning.
I've never done Takaka Hill, must get down to the South Island more often .The drive I’d rank quite highly is SH35 Gisborne to Opotiki (“East Cape”), it’s the best part of a days drive became the road follows the coast but it’s so incredibly unpopulated (i.e. brim the car before starting!) and scenic.

A few of the lesser roads/tracks are also worthwhile if you happen to be in the area:
- Skipper Canyon Road is...an experience (certainly more of an experience than it is an actual road!)
- Port Jackson Road: Coromandel coast.
- Cape Palliser: Good lighthouse lookout and the pinnacles where Lord of the Rings something or other (I don't know, didn't watch the films.)
- Duffer Saddle Road: Some fords to navigate so you need ground clearance even if just a soft-roader.
- Baldwin Street (Steepest street in the world, maybe.)
- Wards Pass: Over the Kaikoura Ranges.
- Pomarangai Road: Whareorino Forest in the King Country.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above

SH6 Wanka to Haast (between lakes Hawea and Wanaka)

Danseys pass ( mostly unsealed) between Duntroon and Naseby
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:46 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: New Zealands best drives

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Danseys pass (mostly unsealed) between Duntroon and Naseby
Added to my list, have never done before.

Ocean Beach Drive in Wellington was also recommended to me but it's a 4WD track (or sometimes...just driving on the beach), you have to do it while the tide is out and you need to go round to the council offices to get the key.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Holwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Cross country through the Catlins Park was good to Owaka.

Cardrona Pass through the Crown Range soon after sunup in winter was fantastic, just fantastic.

The real scenery though is when you leave the blacktop and get onto the gravel roads. This one on Banks Peninsular was genuinely awesome:

Old Apr 27th 2019, 7:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Spectacular scenery!