British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Zealandholic... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-zealandholic-657236/)

macmattom Mar 1st 2010 12:45 pm

New Zealandholic...

Hi, this is the first time I've used this forum, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Mac, and I'm a New Zealandholic....

I've already visited New Zealand previously on 2 occasions for adventurous holidays and have fallen in love with the country, the people and the lifestyle. Unfortunately my wife and kids weren't with me, so I'm really hoping to convince them that this is THE best place in the world for quality of life, family life and to enjoy the fantastic life style that I know is possible down under. I'm hoping to go back again (on my own - it's a tough job!) in Mar 2011 for another expedition were I'll take a closer look at the country first hand.

Our plans are to go there for a big family holiday in (our) Summer 2012 then to go for a 2 to 3 year trial visit in 2014. If all turns out well we won't want to come back to UK except for holidays. However this would mean my kids going to university in New Zealand (not a problem, but I'd need to find out about costs/fees etc). I'm not committed to a specific location yet, but am leaning heavily towards Nelson, although New Plymouth and Napier are gaining ground (a large town/small city on the coast).

My wife is a Nurse and I am an Aeronautical Engineer so we are hoping jobs should be easy to find, which is quite important as we'd be looking at the Skilled Migrant route.

I am quite fortunate in that I know a few people who have already made the move, but I have millions of questions that I will probably bore the pants off you all with. I'm particualrly interested in things such as transferring state pensions, tax rates, medical facilities, whether these emigration agents are worth their fees (and what their fees are), removals etc etc etc. I'm sure none will be asked for the first time, and I will try to read previous threads, but I'm looking forward to gaining advice and sharing lessons along the way with you like-minded souls.

We live in Lincs - are there any social gatherings or groups that meet up or is that asking for too much?

Anyway, let the journey begin.....

Cheers,

Mac

Dewb09 Mar 1st 2010 12:50 pm

Re: New Zealandholic...

Hi and welcome to you & your family :D

Sounds like you have given this some great thought and have a good plan :thumbsup: Is your wife just not sure on moving so far away or just going abroad per se?

Good luck with your journey :fingerscrossed: the rest of your family fall in love with NZ too.

Karma for your lovely intro

Dewb

RobDon Mar 1st 2010 8:36 pm

Hello & Welcome from us too. ;)
Good luck & best wishes for your plans. :thumbup:

BEVS Mar 3rd 2010 12:17 am

Welcome to this little NZ forum.

Happy Posting and enjoy. :)

127luton Mar 4th 2010 5:08 pm

Wellcome here!!
Berni
x:D

willand tina_h Mar 4th 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by 127luton (Post 8393907)
Wellcome here!!
Berni
x:D

Welcome to BE and happy posting, such a great site and everyone is so helpful! All the best

Tina x