Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand v Mexico

New Zealand v Mexico

Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default New Zealand v Mexico

NZ Sports Extra have some interesting chat/talk going on at present. Anyone going the the match in Wellington? Hopefully once settled I'll catch a few games from the All Whites.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Zealand v Mexico

yep im going with the a few others, a bit of a mission imposable but hope they can do it.
The Phoenix and the AW'S have quite a big ex-pat following down here. I also watch Kapati United in the winter league its got a great little club house. I also used to watch Hawkes Bay United and Napier City rovers when we lived in Napier when we first arrived, it was a great way to meet other expats and make contacts for work etc.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I went to see a game at North Harbour Stadium once - I think it was the NZ Knights - whatever the NZ team was called before it moved to Wellington and re-named the Phoenix.

It was laughable.

I told the (NZ) mate I went with that I reckoned Thierry Henry (who was probably the top EPL player at the time) could have collected the ball in his own penalty area and dribbled around every opposition player before backheeling in for a goal. From memory there was an ex-UK professional playing - might have been Emblen, who was OK - for somewhere like Walsall - and the opposition had Brian Deane on as well, again, the best on park... but 10 years past his best.

And the refereeing! ROFL
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

The result tonight was no surprise, a brave performance by the All Whites but they were simply outclassed. Really they've failed to build on the 2010 WC efforts, and another couple of years of the doldrums seem to await before the next World Cup campaign.

There's many reasons for the failure, not to qualify - as that can't be a divine right playing in might of the Oceanic group, but to make the play off game competitive.
The main one is the lack of class players, needing to field 2 players playing amateur footy and one 37 and barely that in the first game says something.

However they simply don't play enough, and enough decent teams. Following 2010 I think they played 3 games the next year! hopeless really, and this year barely 5.

They've suffered this year for last year's failure in Honiara, the Oceanic Nations Cup, a 2-0 defeat to New Caledonia which meant missing out on Confed Cup in Brazil in June this year and chance to play some quality teams. So instead friendlies in Saudi and US local teams! Hardily the ideal preparation.

Still some younger players tonight, and maybe a chance to build things, certainly if the right teams are attracted their is a market for footy here.

Interestingly tonight's NZ v Mexico will have had the biggest TV ratings (worldwide) of any sporting game in NZ far outweighing the Rugby WC final of two years ago. I'd have thought any NZ 1 day cricket game against India would be close mind.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Well at least there are some positives to take away from the game, especially the TV ratings.

I remember when looking at houses in New Zealand, on the first trip I saw no English Premier League (EPL?) photos etc on bedroom walls, no goal posts or footballs in gardens. Twelve months later there were a fair number of homes with Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal etc dotted around homes.

Do the NZ All Whites play all there home games in Wellington?

Are there any known havens for EPL viewing in or around Rotorua?

Anyone else support Hull City?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps View Post
Well at least there are some positives to take away from the game, especially the TV ratings.

I remember when looking at houses in New Zealand, on the first trip I saw no English Premier League (EPL?) photos etc on bedroom walls, no goal posts or footballs in gardens. Twelve months later there were a fair number of homes with Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal etc dotted around homes.

Do the NZ All Whites play all there home games in Wellington?

Are there any known havens for EPL viewing in or around Rotorua?

Anyone else support Hull City?
I've heard that football is building in popularity in NZ - both in terms of players of the game, and also folks watching on TV - the slim introduction to non-pay TV this year may help further.

We had a colleague leave to take up a professional playing contract in Germany after her performances representing NZ in the World Cup. Have to say I was pleased as punch for her - what a fab thing to do.

I hear Hull City are a popular 'second team' choice - they play decent footy don't they?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

I've been to see the Phenix a couple of times and it's fair to say the standard is poor but entertaining enough. The first thing I did when I arrived was enrol with the Liverpool NZ Supporters Club!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

lets be honest, any uk lower division club would kick the AW's arses from here to Christmas.
The standard of football here is laughable, they continue to enter into the Oceania group for qualifying
playing the likes of mighty New Caledonia, Samoa and the Solomon Islands, they should grow a pair and
enter the Asia group, the only way they will improve is by playing better teams
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
lets be honest, any uk lower division club would kick the AW's arses from here to Christmas.
The standard of football here is laughable, they continue to enter into the Oceania group for qualifying
playing the likes of mighty New Caledonia, Samoa and the Solomon Islands, they should grow a pair and
enter the Asia group, the only way they will improve is by playing better teams
Agree, I can't see any chance of improvement without playing decent teams, lets face it they were lucky in 2010 with a play off against Bahrain, who they hardly outplayed at that. The other intercontinental play off then was Costa Rica v Uruguay (who ended finishing 3rd), difficult to see how NZ would have beaten either over two legs.

So they can stay in the Oceanic group, and have 95% chance of getting to play-off at which they be favourites to lose, meaning one decent game every 4 years or join the Aussies in the Asian group. At least be some meaningful qualifying games that might attract crowds in the way that All Whites V New Caledonia or Solomon Islands fails to do.

The only argument against joining the Asian group, is that there's probably less chance of qualifying, the junior teams don't have a easy route to Youth WC, and miss out on a chance of getting to the Confed Cup the warm up tournament a year out from the Finals which they failed to reach anyway this year.

Let's be honest Mexico could have fielded their 10th best team (they still all be playing in a pro league) and still be favourites. There;s certainly better teams missing out fro Brazil than the NZ All Whites that's for sure, Ukraine, Sweden etc.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

If not too controversial, I will be supporting England in the opening games or until knocked out then selecting one from the remaining.
Will all the games be shown on TV in NZ or will I be 'forced' to visit a bar/club?
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

NZ shows some World Cup games. More so last time round since there was interest in the NZ team being in it. Tends to be very parochial - for example the last Olympics was dreadful - you wouldn't have known that any sports that didn't feature kiwi athletes in finals existed.
You'll have to find a pub showing the games or make friends with someone with satellite TV.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

BigStuey is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's true about all countries in the Olympics...they all think they were the best country there and all the others were talking about how good they were. I spoke to my mum on the phone (in UK) at the time and she said she was so proud of the British team weren't they doing well? I replied I hadn't a clue because New Zealand was doing so well that was all that was in the headlines here. That was news to her. I guess if you spoke to a Chinese person they would tell you how amazing the Olympics were and how much it did to put China on the map....
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is a renewed interest in cycling here(UK at present), in most part I believe due to the last two Olympics Games. Before that it was rowing that took a major interest following major successes. I guess kayaking will be the major event for NZ in the Olympics.

Now if we had an Olympics for bad weather in the summer months, then the UK would win every time.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

you've picked three sports that's are huge here in NZ.
Cycling is massive here at a club level.Theres a brand new Velodrome just being finished about a mile from me
That alone will raise the standard even more. Rowing, well you'll struggle to find a nation better at it than NZ.
we may not be great at 8's but we've pretty much all the other classes sown up. As for Kayaking, on any Friday afternoon
I will pass probably 20 cars with Kayaks strapped to the roof on my journey home from work. Lisa Carringtons event
was a new one for the last Olympics but with so many weekend participants its only natural we'll soon have more people
of her calibre
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The last World Cup was on local tv, reasonable coverage with back up highlights on the web.
Sadly next year's ain't, I think it's only on Sky and I don't think games are reasonable time either, so I reckon it's going to be atough job finding some decent highlights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.