Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand sun and sun glasses?

New Zealand sun and sun glasses?

Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

kimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nice
Question New Zealand sun and sun glasses?

Hi Guys,

i am planning now for the move and one thing came across my mind, i know that OZ's sun is hotter and require a special sun glasses, what a bout NZ's sun?

should i buy the sun glasses from here or wait until i get there and buy it from NZ?
how much does it cost in NZ?

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Zealand sun and sun glasses?

Originally Posted by kimoloop
Hi Guys,

i am planning now for the move and one thing came across my mind, i know that OZ's sun is hotter and require a special sun glasses, what a bout NZ's sun?

should i buy the sun glasses from here or wait until i get there and buy it from NZ?
how much does it cost in NZ?

Thanks
Buy them in UK. Get as many pairs as you can and just leave them in the back of the drawer.

I can't function without mine and they cost a bomb out here. My old channel ones I saw on ebay for 40 pounds and they're hundreds out here. My bvlgri ones are over $600 here. Even the cheap ones here cost a bomb. When we next go back to UK, I intend to hit Next, Boots and M&S hard and buy lots of UVA/UVB sunnies for around the 10 - 20 pound mark and just keep them in stock.

Because you live in them, they get scratched and damaged quickly. The designer ones are of no use really because you're too precious about them - and the cheap ones here aren't cheap.

The other thing to bring is riding gear (if you ride) it's also ridiculously expensive.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

kimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nicekimoloop is just really nice

Originally Posted by old dragon
Buy them in UK. Get as many pairs as you can and just leave them in the back of the drawer.

I can't function without mine and they cost a bomb out here. My old channel ones I saw on ebay for 40 pounds and they're hundreds out here. My bvlgri ones are over $600 here. Even the cheap ones here cost a bomb. When we next go back to UK, I intend to hit Next, Boots and M&S hard and buy lots of UVA/UVB sunnies for around the 10 - 20 pound mark and just keep them in stock.

Because you live in them, they get scratched and damaged quickly. The designer ones are of no use really because you're too precious about them - and the cheap ones here aren't cheap.

The other thing to bring is riding gear (if you ride) it's also ridiculously expensive.
Thanks Old Dragon, i will definitely buy mine before leaving, its just i was wondering if NZ require a special sun glasses but looks like that any sun glass would be good.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:20 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's just as strong as Oz but the light is bluer over there than here, so possibly more UV because of the cleaner air.

I have two types of sunnies - close fitting wrap arounds with thick arms to wear in the sun and aviator types for driving (more peripheral visibility)

Take a look at the guidelines and standards for NZ and Australian sunglasses http://www.arpansa.gov.au/radiationp...Sunglasses.cfm
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:53 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Good question and good advice, thank you all for it

Hadn't given sunglasses much thought.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't forget hats with brims too, my nz cuzzy bro had to have the tops of his ears removed due to sun induced damage.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief! That is horrific. Will stock up on sunnies and hats before I come over. On a positive note, wide brimmed hats and sunglasses will make me look more glamorous
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:12 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by florabundi
Good grief! That is horrific. Will stock up on sunnies and hats before I come over. On a positive note, wide brimmed hats and sunglasses will make me look more glamorous
Trust me, if you like to look glamorous don't move to NZ

Ultra-casual is the usual dress code; if you opt for glamorous you will need lots of $$$$!!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by florabundi

It's brilliant, in the summer I just live in a sarong with a swimsuit, a hat and sunnies and lip gloss. I just throw a shirt on if I go into town or when the sun is really hot. Hair constantly in a pony tale and just lots of tinted moisturizer with a very high SF.

You wear hats year round and it very quickly becomes normal. I've got tons of cowboy hats and I love them

If you live near the beach - you'll have about 4 beach bags packed to go at any one time. We have one in each car in case we get a spontaneous urge on the way back from work/school/ supermarket - we keep a big wheelie garden bucket/trolley packed with hard core beach gear next to the boogie boards and wet suits in the garage - and we've got one in the camper (it's 30 years old - we're not flash lol)

Think of that when you're doing your final asda/tesco/sainsbury clothes shop at the end of the summer. You want enough sarongs, beach gear and easy to wash/no iron summer stuff to be able to just walk out of the door.

We live 4 1/2 minutes from the front door to the surf - so we don't want to spend half an hour looking for everyone's sunnies and swimmers - it's a waste of play time
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon

Ultra-casual is the usual dress code; if you opt for glamorous you will need lots of $$$$!!
lol too true, luckily for me I lost loads and loads of weight so those clothes I've been stock piling for decades I'm finally fitting into and it's fab.

TBH, I think you can't put a price on style - and if you walk around Tauranga and look at some of the women, they look like they're trannies getting ready for a little britain sketch they're absolutely loaded and some of the least glamorous and worst dress people I've seen ever!!

They're complete snobs and spend astounding amounts of money on cheap plastic jewelry from Bangkok. I giggle like a kid when they try to sell it to me because we used to live there and I've got boxes of it in the fancy dress box. A boutique owner tried to sell me a necklace for $150, I KNOW you can buy them from street vendors for less than $8!!!!

I say they're snobs because they wouldn't buy a necklace from the $2 shop over the road, but the supplier or at least the manufacturer is the same!

Stock up in Asda and Tesco and you'll outclass even the smartest boutiques out here so don't worry lol. (that was meant to be helpful not bitchy!!)

Some of the most stylish women I've seen out here have been in jeans or sarong with really nice accessories and doing the whole 'less is more' thing very well.

If you like heels though and nice shoes, bring those. You can get them here but they cost a fortune.

I wear heals with jeans all the time and refuse not to, unless it's situation appropriate. I dress (in the cold weather anyway) exactly as I did in UK - wouldn't be me if I didn't

Check your sizes in M&S before you leave because you can always buy from there if you're desperate and they'll ship to a NZ address.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Woodpigeon;9469593]Trust me, if you like to look glamorous don't move to NZ

QUOTE]

NZ... the only country in the world where Audrey Chawner looks fashionable in a body warmer !!!

Gill
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh you lot are hilarious making it sound like we live on an idyllic pacific island, swanning around in swimsuits, sarongs and sunnies all day.

I hardly ever wear sunglasses, except occasionally when driving and don't own or ever wear a hat
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Gosh you lot are hilarious making it sound like we live on an idyllic pacific island, swanning around in swimsuits, sarongs and sunnies all day.

I hardly ever wear sunglasses, except occasionally when driving and don't own or ever wear a hat
lol, mad dogs and Englishmen!! I even wear my sunnies when it's cloudy. By god if I've given up sanity, my horse, central heating and cheese - then I'm gonna delude myself into thinking I'm an eccentric lottery winner living in utopia.

I never leave the house without sunnies, unless it's raining and only then because they steam up Besides, I'm sure that's why half the women here have such shocking eye bags, the uva/uvb is so strong.

Or it could be because we all sit up until the wee small hours on our lap tops

We really do go to the beach most days though, even when it's getting late after dinner - we head over to the mount and have a splash. Well I paddle, the rest are poofs.

Last edited by old dragon; Jul 1st 2011 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:22 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon

That is utter garbage i still dress glamorous even when i go to the supermarket never without my heels and make up I get alot of my clothes from Trade me not changing the way i am because i live here.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:32 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

lol couldnt have put that better myself i hardly wear sunnies and dont own a hat, I never wear flip flops or shorts I dress up like always like i did in the Uk and i have no bags or tons of wrinkles i just keep out of the sun easy enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.