Reload this Page >

New Zealand Schools & Employment

New Zealand Schools & Employment

Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:58 am
Just Joined

dannypaula is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New Zealand Schools & Employment

Hi,

My husband, myself and two children (8 & 5) are currently looking into migrating to New Zealand. With our daughters ages taken into consideration, it seems like a good time to make the decision, before the eldest starts secondary school. I was wondering if anyone has any information about the education system in New Zealand/ any thoughts or experiences you are able to share. I have had a look, and on the face of it the education system looks very positive but some real advice would be helpful.
Also has anyone migrated via the use of an agency? Or is it better to do all this independently. Again any advice would be much appreciated.
My husband is by trade an Electrician with 10+ years of experience, he has also run his own Solar PV company for the last 8 years, so has experience in this field.
Any information or experiences anyone has would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Schools & Employment

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn into the New Zealand section, as your questions are quite specific to the country.

I expect all the good folks in NZ will be tucked up in bed by now, but I'm sure someone will help you out in the morning.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks I am new to all this so appreciate that :-)
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:46 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

kids stay in primary education here until 12/13 yrs old.

your husband would have to be registered in NZ to practice as an electrician.
the skill is seen as short here so to uplift a visa should be fairly straight forward as long as he has the correct qualification, or equal to, Immigration require and then gets a job offer.

use the search function above for threads regarding electricians. we have a few members on here that are electricians so hopefully they will pop on and help. in the meant time I will look for some relevant posts.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:51 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

here's one: start at the beginning and work your way through the posts.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ealand-797950/

another short one
http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...advice-869662/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...erence-808109/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...z-life-855316/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...g-move-844519/

just make some notes from all of them and see how you feel.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the links. I will work my way through them over the next few weeks. We are going to attend a Seminar in Leeds on the 30th so hopefully this will also help with making some decisions.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannypaula
Thanks for the links. I will work my way through them over the next few weeks. We are going to attend a Seminar in Leeds on the 30th so hopefully this will also help with making some decisions.
Please be very wary of these seminars, they are run by companies that are interested only in you signing up for their services, and everthing will be geared to that, even down to saying 'it's impossible to do it yourself', and 'we'll guarantee you a job if you sign with us' It's very much like the timeshare seminars that were around many years ago, promise everything till you sign on the dotted line. Certainly go, but be armed with the facts that you CAN DIY. I, personally, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice on the Seminars. We can well imagine that as with most things in life it is driven by money but we will be prepared to stand our ground. I will let you know my thoughts after the event :-/
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:25 pm

. We are going to attend a Seminar in Leeds on the 30th so hopefully this will also help with making some decisions.
I also agree with mikelincs about the seminars. through one we got chatting to a supposed immigration agent, who when it came to it knew less than we did and also gave out wrong information - this would of meant us having to use his services longer and was made out to be a problem so would not of been covered by the standard fee. We thought it sounded wrong so phoned Immigration direct and indeed it was. so from then on we just called Immigration if we were confused about anything or came on here and asked.
If you read the pamphlet that comes with the forms before filling in and refer back to it everything really is explained.

The seminar was only really good for getting names of overseas removal companies, pet carriers and opening bank accounts.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Totally agree about the seminars. Good for a trip out & little else.

There will be no need for you to spend money on an agent if you are healthy , have not got a dodgy past & the sparky skill, quals and work exp match that of New Zealand.

He will need to become licensed & as always, the job offer will be the golden egg .

What quals does he hold ?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply BEVS, he is up to date with the 17th Edition and has 2360 part 1 & 2. We are currently getting them certified which may take a short while. We plan to do it independently but just want to see what the Seminar is all about really. So much to think about especially with children involved but it has been a long time coming and sometimes I guess you just have to go for it. Like you say it is all down to that offer of a job.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Leading on from this, how easy is it to rent in NZ? We would be looking at a 3 bed house. Would be great to get an idea of North and South rental rates? Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
kids stay in primary education here until 12/13 yrs old.
Not necessarily. The schools around us and the ones I've taught in here have Primary year 0-year 6 just like UK and then move on at age 11 to the High School/College.I've had nothing but good experiences with education here. My academic daughter loved the local High School and has since gone on to University and my less academic, more hands on son has done well too and is just about to start year 13 - his last year of High School. If you find an area you like you can read up on a school by looking at their past ERO reports (like UK OFSTED reports) don't take notice of the decile rating, it purely tells you the economic surrounds of the school and doesn't tell you about the school or the teachers/teaching. ERO reports can be found here Early Childhood & School Reports - Education Review OfficeLook on Trademe.co.nz for rentals in different areas.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks j19fmm, that is helpful to keep in mind. Until my husband is offered a job we won't have a clue about area etc but I will have a look at your link and check out the rental site.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice on the Seminars. We can well imagine that as with most things in life it is driven by money but we will be prepared to stand our ground. I will let you know my thoughts after the event :-/
Honestly unless you are very nearby I wouldn't bother as these seminars are a waste of time. Been discussed on BE hundreds of times and rarely will anyone say it was useful.

We went to one for Australia in 2009, buying the ticket is exciting if you are just setting out and you feel like you are doing something. Anyway it was hell, massive queues at every desk, children and babies crying (leave at home if you have any). We were in and out in thirty minutes and came away with nothing but a couple of pens. Had a nice lunch next door though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.