Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand School System Comparison?

New Zealand School System Comparison?

Old Oct 22nd 2016, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand School System Comparison?

It seems to vary so much from school to school, I guess? Broke my heart to see kids (mine included) in tears over the 11+ in England, so am all for a less stressed style of education. It will take a little adjustment for the kids, though.

Early days for us still, will see how it goes.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maquis
It seems to vary so much from school to school, I guess? Broke my heart to see kids (mine included) in tears over the 11+ in England, so am all for a less stressed style of education. It will take a little adjustment for the kids, though.

Early days for us still, will see how it goes.
Broke my heart to realise how bad the school were in NZ and how i had put my three children into it!
I had to leave before youngest started college. By which time he had no confidence left.

I hope it works out for you.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that, its the first time I've heard negatives about the NZ schooling

I'm hoping the relaxed style will suit our two.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 8:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Puzzled by the 11+ thing. I don't recall any of us kids crying over taking the 11+ .
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:09 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest difference in the management of schools is the Board of Trustee model. Overall management of schools is via the Ministry of Education, but local policy is decided by the school board which is elected. Boards can become stacked with parents who have a particular view of what a good education is. It's also how there is so much variety in approach, even though there is one curriculum that they follow.

You need to shop around to find a model of delivery that suits your child. The dominant model taught in teacher education in NZ is 'inquiry learning'. In involves:

Inquiry-based learning is a constructivist approach, in which students have ownership of their learning. It starts with exploration and questioning and leads to investigation into a worthy question, issue, problem or idea.
It involves asking questions, gathering and analysing information, generating solutions, making decisions, justifying conclusions and taking action.
What is Inquiry?

If parents haven't experienced this model themselves, they may be disappointed to find that their children's education does not match their own.

There is a debate over whether enquiry (to use the British spelling) based learning or 'chalk and talk' methods are better. Chalk and talk, such as used in many Asian countries, leads to higher test scores, however it leads to a very narrow field of ability - more rule following, less initiative and ability to problem-solve.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

If your kid has dyslexia you'll have real problems in NZ schools.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 11:30 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
this is true, at the first primary the Principal did not believe dyslexia existed !
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a sweeping untrue statement! Studying dyslexia is part of the teaching degree for starters, so teachers should be well aware of the issues. At primary level, when a child is suspected of having dyslexia then free assessments are done via a RTLB teacher. Then the child can access extra help at school or the SPELD organisation kicks in (this is not free, but is subsidised for low income families). Speld New Zealand - Dyslexia and other learning difficulties

Both of the 2 local colleges on the Kapiti coast have specific classes designed for children with dyslexia. Here's the website from one of them explaining the extra help children receive.
KC - Dyslexia

No education system is perfect and yes children slip between the gaps and parents need to be onto it, but that happens in every developed country.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not my experience in the Waikato! From day 1 we told them my son was dyslexic and gave them a copy of all his assesments from the UK ... every year at every school nothing was ever passed on to any of his teachers! Every year we had to explain it all to every single one of his teachers ... this went on for 7 years! He still got no help or understanding from his teachers! None of them!
I know all about Speld too ...

The NZ school system failed my son!
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

That's not my experience in the Waikato! From day 1 we told them my son was dyslexic and gave them a copy of all his assesments from the UK ... every year at every school nothing was ever passed on to any of his teachers! Every year we had to explain it all to every single one of his teachers ... this went on for 7 years! He still got no help or understanding from his teachers! None of them!
I know all about Speld too ...

The NZ school system failed my son!
We had the same problem with our daughter at Takapuna Grammar. They were very keen to help when we enrolled her, but no help whatsoever after she started. Not until year 12, after we had moved to Hawkes Bay, did she receive any help & that was due to a couple of teachers from the UK taking up her case.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Puzzled by the 11+ thing. I don't recall any of us kids crying over taking the 11+ .
How long ago did you take it? Maybe it was just in our little area of Kent in that particular year, with all the changes.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:16 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maquis
How long ago did you take it? Maybe it was just in our little area of Kent in that particular year, with all the changes.
Although officially abolished in 1976 (replaced by a "comprehensive system") some areas of England have kept the system of running grammar schools alongside comprehensive schools.

The 11 Plus still exists, however it is now a collective term for the entrance exams that the remaining grammar schools offer. Around 160 grammar schools remain in England and they each continue to offer an 11+ test to determine their intake.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Although officially abolished in 1976 (replaced by a "comprehensive system") some areas of England have kept the system of running grammar schools alongside comprehensive schools.

The 11 Plus still exists, however it is now a collective term for the entrance exams that the remaining grammar schools offer. Around 160 grammar schools remain in England and they each continue to offer an 11+ test to determine their intake.
Public (private) schools do the Common Entrance which is similar to the 11+
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you in Auckland who have children with dyslexia:

Laughton King is presenting at Northcross Intermediate tomorrow (Tuesday 25th) at 3.30 for teaching staff (free) and 7.00PM for students and parents. Laughton King is a Dyslexic Guru and offers practical solutions for students with Dyslexia and other associated learning difficulties.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Kotare
Public (private) schools do the Common Entrance which is similar to the 11+
yes that is whatI assumed that statement meant