Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

new zealand scenery

new zealand scenery

Old Jul 13th 2019, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new zealand scenery

Originally Posted by BtotheR
I think its a bit sad to read some of the responses on here to this couple. Of course they knew things about the country like lack of history etc but of course you actually only know how much this is going to be a factor to your life/mental well being, once you have actually lived in it a while. No body really knows what its like to live in a place until you do it so lets not give people a hard time for having regrets in the choices they made, a lot of how it works out for any of us in NZ is down to personality and luck.

My parents wouldn't be that much younger than this couple and similarly used to come and visit us nearly every year for a few months (they would go travelling around NZ on their trips and also we had a outhouse so it worked really well even for that long) and did often consider moving to NZ to be closer to us - but I think the outcome would have been very similar to this couples. They are big walkers/adventurers and travelled the country extensively and although they did love it for visiting but never felt it had enough there for them to move there. I think they could only make that proper evaluation after coming over many times though and if they had made the move in my early days over there I honestly do think they would be in a similar position to these guys.

I feel for them. I think you need to consider and look into their options of returning - which I know would not be the easy option. Perhaps just the mindset that you might not be there forever may take some pressure off and allow you to enjoy NZ for what it is and all the things you originally wanted to go there for. Maybe even facing the prospect you won't be there for that much longer could bring a whole new appreciation for the country and the many positives it has as well as how important being near your family is to you - even if being there makes you unhappy. If they did go back - go back to just visiting NZ and when this gets too hard due to age etch, help pay for the kids to come over instead if you can and save yourself there trip. The pound is still low if they can sell up and try get back (I know this will be dotted with big issues to make it happen - but if they wanted to enough they will).

Anyway, be nice, its obvious the original poster obviously wants a place to rant and get the opinions from people who have maybe had similar experiences to them (isn't that why we are all here!?). If they can't do that here - where can they do it?

Check out your options jayandbill, you only live once.
Which is pretty much what I said right at the beginning, yet ,somehow you waffling on for a few paragraphs makes it acceptable.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 6:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Which is pretty much what I said right at the beginning, yet ,somehow you waffling on for a few paragraphs makes it acceptable.
Daft aporth is what you .
You don't need me or anyone else to tell or show you the difference in the approach and words do you mister monstery Col.

Old Jul 13th 2019, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

"Don't come [migrate] here for the scenery" is sound advice and something that many of us repeat regularly on here.

New Zealand's scenery is nice. It's not Hawaii-meets-Switzerland, as the marketing machine has sometimes implied it is, but it is nice.

I think part of the appeal is the exotica of being so far away. There is a real sense of achievement in just getting to this part of the world, let alone migrating here. It makes for some nice Facebooking and social media for a while.

Then after some time, well you are in a small, remote and isolated country, you've seen everything and can get a little bored. I think it happens to everyone, everywhere at some point really.

Can I suggest the Northern Territory for your next holiday? That might provide a nice change of scenery.

Nothing wrong with that.