Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

new zealand scenery

new zealand scenery

Old Jul 5th 2019, 10:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new zealand scenery

Originally Posted by Moses2013
One factor is that many of these people wouldn't find it sexy to go kayaking in Wales or Ireland...
Is there anything as...romantic and invigorating as sitting in an inch of water for two hours and trying to arrange the hood of your outdoors jacket in such a way as to keep out the rain seeping down down your collar while ducks give you a very bemused look?
Old Jul 5th 2019, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Holwell is an unknown quantity at this point

The Lake District is gorgeous but almost always full of too many people to appreciate it and hard to make a living from if you want to get away from people (as we do).

The Highlands are fantastic but facilities and services are, in my experience, harder to come by there than in the Southern Alps plus you have the SNP politics to contend with

Everywhere has it's plusses and minuses but, on balance, NZ ticks more boxes for me. My mate in Owaka describes it thus: I can knock off early and be sea fishing in 10 minutes, hunting in the Catlins in 20 or skiiing in the Alps in an hour. What's not to like?
Old Jul 5th 2019, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Is there anything as...romantic and invigorating as sitting in an inch of water for two hours and trying to arrange the hood of your outdoors jacket in such a way as to keep out the rain seeping down down your collar while ducks give you a very bemused look?
Yeah but why is it then suddenly sexy in NZ if the same happens A bit of rain doesn't harm either, as your're in the water and will get wet anyway

Old Jul 5th 2019, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holwell
The Lake District is gorgeous but almost always full of too many people to appreciate it and hard to make a living from if you want to get away from people (as we do).

The Highlands are fantastic but facilities and services are, in my experience, harder to come by there than in the Southern Alps plus you have the SNP politics to contend with

Everywhere has it's plusses and minuses but, on balance, NZ ticks more boxes for me. My mate in Owaka describes it thus: I can knock off early and be sea fishing in 10 minutes, hunting in the Catlins in 20 or skiiing in the Alps in an hour. What's not to like?
I think the OP wasn't really referring to personal preferences but it was more about the fact that many people move to NZ for the scenery, although they might have it closer to home than they think. It's great for your mate in Owaka but most people wouldn't end up there either, as it would be just as hard to make a living. Even in NZ it can be hard to get away from people and especially for Expats. Most Expats would need a Visa and to get a Visa you'd need a job that qualifies. That means that most end up in the more densely populated areas where these jobs are. Due to the countries isolation in the past, I personally prefer the flora of NZ, as you have many ferns and evergreens we wouldn't see here. Apart from that, most people probably wouldn't know from a picture where the remote beach is, unless they were actually there or knew that the person was living there.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 5th 2019 at 1:29 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved to Canada we felt the same way about ancient monuments.

Who got excited about a 100 year old wood house when I'd lived in a 150 year old stone one?

Who got excited about a "Gothic" cathedral built 90 years ago when we'd seen 1000 year old cathedrals?

But we learnt, and I think every immigrant into whichever country has to learn, to respect what is old for that country.

200 year old houses are old for Europeans in most parts of Canada, the US, Australia or NZ ................ but what about the 800 year old buildings of the First Nations?

We learnt to condense our sense of history from 1500 years to 100 or 200 years.

Now we really appreciate that 200 year old ranch house built of wood that has managed to survive all these years.

Yes, we have been to NZ, twice. OH and daughter lived there for 11 months and I stayed with them for 2 months. I do have some appreciation for what the OP are feeling .............. but look back on the various parts of NZ with a great deal of appreciation for what we saw. Just as I appreciate the new-old and old parts of the US, Australia and S. Africa, and of course all that I have learnt about Canadian history and pre-history.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 4:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Nothing more romantic than a soggy bottom
Old Jul 6th 2019, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Scheck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Holwell
The Lake District is gorgeous but almost always full of too many people to appreciate it and hard to make a living from if you want to get away from people (as we do)
Never a truer word spoken.

I'm dreading the next 6 weeks of school holidays and the tourist traffic that goes with it.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I took alot for granted in the places I have lived and was brought up in as a kid over the years.
I was brought up in Scotland gazing at the ochil hills everyday with snow on them most of the winter beautiful scenery it just doesn't sink in at the time what your surroundings are.
Also was a gamekeeper for a year at loch Monar as a 16 year old. Scenery blows me away when I think about it now.
Spend so much time running up in down mountains in North of Scotland from Cape Wrath to Scarfell pike.
Spent so much time in Wales on Brecon beacons and Snowdonia.
Lived in the Citadel in Plymouth for 3 years was built in 1500s. Lived in Colchester for 5 years historic aswell.
Just didn't really appreciate it.

NZ is beautiful place.
All the places in the UK you dont get bush like you do out here. I think it's alot more greener out here.
Beaches are nicer and weather is alot warmer to enjoy more stuff.
I enjoy my city walks up mount eden and one tree hill and Devon port.
It's just a different country so its going be a different scenery and history.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

WBHB is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread. I agree with the OP (yes I'm another 'moaning pom'). We've done decent amounts of travel in Europe but definitely didn't see enough of the UK before we moved to NZ nearly 2 years ago. New Zealand is certainly stunning - lakes, lovely beaches, mountains etc. But the UK has all of this too. Glencoe in Scotland, Isle of Skye, Lake District, South coast (where I'm from), Wales and Island also have everything you'd want. The difference for me is in NZ you get the better to weather to enjoy it. The benefit of the UK is certainly added to by the history and the proximity to Europe.

Swings and roundabouts really. Most countries have great scenery to be honest but living in a country does come down to more than scenery and beaches (NZ has a lot else going for it too).

We're simply enjoying it for what it is and trying to see as much as we can. We'll likely end up back in the UK at some point.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It really depends where the people come from and you are probably right that those who just move for that specific reason don't know many other places back home. One factor is that many of these people wouldn't find it sexy to go kayaking in Wales or Ireland and they wouldn't be prepared to drive for 2 hours. When they move to NZ and kayak for the first time, maybe even post on social media, it's suddenly sexy and the 2 hour drive was worth it and scenery is amazing. No doubt that NZ has beautiful scenery and you can definitely rave about it but as you say, it can be just as amazing in Europe or back home. I live close to Galway myself and I must say that we are blessed with scenery and history around us. Luckily I'm also a very good weather reader, so we seem to always make the right choices for day trips too. Last weekend we just drove out to one of the beaches near Clifden and it was another glorious day. Apart from a few people swimming, the beaches were empty and the water crystal clear. We walked back to the car and met a Dutch couple who were in Ireland for the first time and they said that they've been to many places, but this place had it all. Luckily many people don't see the beauty around them, otherwise it would be crowded
Many of us don't fully appreciate our home country until we leave it. I agree, Ireland is a beautiful country. I've lived in Ulster and holidayed in Eire.
When we first visited NZ in 2004 it was because both of our children and 8 grandchildren - aged 3 to 14 years - had just immigrated here. We came every year for a month during the christmas period until 2009 and after each visit we went home and raved about NZ. We were granted Residency in 2011 as sponsored parents . 10 years on and we've seen much of New Zealand, both North and South. Some of the family have spread out and grown up and 2 have gone back to England . We still go back to UK every couple of years and explore some of the places we hadn't seen and had brilliant weather every time. and wondered why we raved about NZ as much as we did. I suppose because it was new . There is no question New Zealand is beautiful. I wouldn't deny it but for me it lacks the charm of the United Kingdom.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Oh jayandbill. Wash your mouth out!!!
You live in one of the most stunning places........period! The scenery here is gorgeous. What's not to like about looking out from the top of the Mount or the top of Papamoa Hills Regional Park (as I did this morning) plus many others around that I could name.
Yes I agree there's lots of other places with stunning scenery. I too have seen lots of it all over the UK and Europe. Spent a lot of my time in the Lake District from the mid 80's right through to coming here in 2012 as my mum lives there and lots of time in Scotland/Wales/Ireland golfing with the boys. The scenery here is equally as stunning. No better or worse, just different. I've never heard anyone say the scenery in NZ is unparalleled.
Impossible to have history when civilisation in this country only started around 200 years ago. We knew this before we came so don't let it bother us and means we may appreciate home more if and when we go back.
Yes the traffic here is getting worse but not a surprise. Tauranga is the fastest growing city in NZ and has been for years. There's more and more people coming to live here every day and the place is growing although the infrastructure is not. The roads and motorists will be at breaking point before anything is done about it which will be 10 years too late, but that's normal the world over. Has there ever been a government or local council that has ever spent $M's before the need for it.......Nope!
I'd still rather be here than in the UK just because, well it's NZ and not the UK.
Sounds like you may be ready to return.
I am ready to return but almost my entire family lives here and although some of them I rarely see, I would see even less of them if we were to return to UK. I've no need to 'wash my mouth out' because I don't believe I said anything detrimental about New Zealand. I admitted it is a beautiful country but for me there's something missing.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Oh jayandbill. Wash your mouth out!!!
You live in one of the most stunning places........period! The scenery here is gorgeous. What's not to like about looking out from the top of the Mount or the top of Papamoa Hills Regional Park (as I did this morning) plus many others around that I could name.
Yes I agree there's lots of other places with stunning scenery. I too have seen lots of it all over the UK and Europe. Spent a lot of my time in the Lake District from the mid 80's right through to coming here in 2012 as my mum lives there and lots of time in Scotland/Wales/Ireland golfing with the boys. The scenery here is equally as stunning. No better or worse, just different. I've never heard anyone say the scenery in NZ is unparalleled.
Impossible to have history when civilisation in this country only started around 200 years ago. We knew this before we came so don't let it bother us and means we may appreciate home more if and when we go back.
Yes the traffic here is getting worse but not a surprise. Tauranga is the fastest growing city in NZ and has been for years. There's more and more people coming to live here every day and the place is growing although the infrastructure is not. The roads and motorists will be at breaking point before anything is done about it which will be 10 years too late, but that's normal the world over. Has there ever been a government or local council that has ever spent $M's before the need for it.......Nope!
I'd still rather be here than in the UK just because, well it's NZ and not the UK.
Sounds like you may be ready to return.
I am ready to return but almost my entire family lives here and although some of them I rarely see, I would see even less of them if we were to return to UK. I don't believe I said anything detrimental about New Zealand. I admitted it is a beautiful country but for me there's something missing. I've lived in several countries that have history and maybe that's why I miss it. I was born in Sussex where you can be on the South Downs in less than 15 minutes from the city and walk for miles. The same can be said of many British cities. It's not just a New Zealand thing.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scheck
Never a truer word spoken.

I'm dreading the next 6 weeks of school holidays and the tourist traffic that goes with it.
Traffic is getting a bit like that here in NZ though. in 2004 when we first came as visitors we wondered where all the cars were and beauty spots could be accessed without the crowds or parking fees. there are many more tourists now and the population has grown so getting around isn't as easy as it was . We did a bit of touring in UK last year in July and didn't find it too bad.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WBHB
Interesting thread. I agree with the OP (yes I'm another 'moaning pom'). We've done decent amounts of travel in Europe but definitely didn't see enough of the UK before we moved to NZ nearly 2 years ago. New Zealand is certainly stunning - lakes, lovely beaches, mountains etc. But the UK has all of this too. Glencoe in Scotland, Isle of Skye, Lake District, South coast (where I'm from), Wales and Island also have everything you'd want. The difference for me is in NZ you get the better to weather to enjoy it. The benefit of the UK is certainly added to by the history and the proximity to Europe.

Swings and roundabouts really. Most countries have great scenery to be honest but living in a country does come down to more than scenery and beaches (NZ has a lot else going for it too).

We're simply enjoying it for what it is and trying to see as much as we can. We'll likely end up back in the UK at some point.
As you say, scenery doesn't put food on your table but I think people should stop generalizing and every part of the country be it NZ or UK/Europe will be different. You often hear people mention the weather but then again both countries are not the Med either and I've seen people leave Wellington because it felt too windy and others thought Auckland was too wet, so moved back to Dunedin. Not everybody ends up Blenheim and others hate having to put on the factor 50, so it's really personal preference and life and climate in Jersey are completely different to the Isle of Skye. I have a Scottish friend who now lives in South-West Cork and he boasts about the scenery/micro climate there and spends most of his time outdoors (swimming, snorkeling, fishing). For him the nicer parts of Scotland were too cold in winter and the milder parts of England had too many people, so different people have different preferences.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayandbill
I am ready to return but almost my entire family lives here and although some of them I rarely see, I would see even less of them if we were to return to UK.
Then just stay in NZ and stop complaining.

I was born in Sussex where you can be on the South Downs in less than 15 minutes from the city and walk for miles. The same can be said of many British cities. It's not just a New Zealand thing.
Nobody said it was. You're making things up to justify your comments
Seems to me you're just feeling sorry for yourself because you want to go back but feel you cant. When I left the UK my parents supported my decision and wished me well. When my children left NZ I supported their decision and wished them well. You cant, or in my opinion would be stupid to, live your life somewhere you don't want to be because of someone else. If you want to stay, stay. If you want to leave, leave, but whatever you do don't complain about a situation that is entirely of your own making and is easily remedied

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 8th 2019 at 11:22 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.