British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is New Zealand right for us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-zealand-right-us-448801/)

Chugs May 9th 2007 5:01 pm

Is New Zealand right for us?

My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK. We both work for British Gas in a call centre environment as managers and we realise this probably isn't the best employment history to get us work abroad but we're determined.
I'm posting this message on a couple of boards and am asking for honest, straightforward feedback from people because we're not too fussy where we go so long as its out of here!

1. We want somewhere where it's not too hard to fit in and assimilate to a community.

2. We're both in our early 20's and hard working, looking to start a family so obviously we don't want somewhere where we're going to get shot!:eek: And we want somewhere nice for our children to grow up

Can anyone help? :thumbs_up: :lightbulb: :thumbs_down:

simonmarkellis May 9th 2007 5:31 pm

Re: Is New Zealand right for us?

Originally Posted by Chugs (Post 4757473)
My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK. We both work for British Gas in a call centre environment as managers and we realise this probably isn't the best employment history to get us work abroad but we're determined.
I'm posting this message on a couple of boards and am asking for honest, straightforward feedback from people because we're not too fussy where we go so long as its out of here!

1. We want somewhere where it's not too hard to fit in and assimilate to a community.

2. We're both in our early 20's and hard working, looking to start a family so obviously we don't want somewhere where we're going to get shot!:eek: And we want somewhere nice for our children to grow up

Being under 30 do you not qualify for Working holiday visas

kiwi_child May 9th 2007 5:32 pm

Try checking out this website: http://www.emigratenz.org/

I think it tries to "sell" the place but still some useful info and links

kiwi_child May 9th 2007 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child (Post 4757604)
Try checking out this website: http://www.emigratenz.org/

I think it tries to "sell" the place but still some useful info and links

Missed your other question. Yes being under 30 you should be able to get a working holiday visa without any drama if that's your preference. Might pay to check if you can later change them for PR should you wish to stay though.

happynz May 9th 2007 10:21 pm

My wife and I are desperate to leave the UK.

That bad, eh?

Hmmm...you might find it a bit of a struggle in New Zealand. The way I see it is that successful immigrants are the ones that want to go to a certain place, not just trying to leave someplace they are fed up with.

What do you know about New Zealand? How would living in New Zealand help you fulfill those ambitions? Are there any other countries that you are considering?

Can anyone help?

There are lots of people here that have been through the immigration grind and have successfully integrated into New Zealand. I have found that there are plenty on this site that can offer you good tips and a bit of cyber hand-holding when necessary.

At the same time there are those who hated New Zealand and have bailed or are planning to.

Whatever you decide, good luck. You at least have age on your side.

Maz May 10th 2007 2:19 am

This question was asked in pretty much all the different countries' forums...

southerner May 10th 2007 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4759460)
This question was asked in pretty much all the different countries' forums...

and fair enough too, better to start your research net wide and then narrow it.

Jack The Lad May 10th 2007 6:37 am

Wouldnt happen to be at either New Bridge House or Canal Street would you? :)

Genesis May 10th 2007 7:06 am

Can anyone help? :thumbs_up: :lightbulb: :thumbs_down:[/QUOTE]

I love NZ to bits, I think its a great place to bring up my young kids inspite of all the issues it has. A 2 year old kid was shot and killed in a drive by shooting not 75ks from where I live. Gang related incident, probably would/will not ever affect the likes of you or I.

NZ is not the mega safe haven some people think it is.

2 X 16 yr old girls were mown down and killed, numerous injured by some lad in a car, in a large city here at the weekend. NZ has shed loads of problems. Just like the UK, and most other places.

Fitting in? Depends where you go. I fit in well in Palmy but I have heard other pomms getting the right cold shoulder.

Assimilate? NZ is nothing like the UK. We speak the same lingo it ends there. I don't think NZ is a place to come just cos you are fed up with the UK. I came here because I loved the place when I first visited 15 years past. I am not being harsh but I agree with the other poster...you are more likely to have a successful move rather than not, IF you really wanted to come here.

You guys sound like you would consider anywhere other than the UK. NZ is NOT for the feint hearted. It has many problems, lots of poor quality, cold houses, expensive utilities, poor pay, georaphical isolation, huge debt, drugs, violence, terrible driving standards and roads (by UK standards) etc, etc.

I love NZ warts and all, I accept all its problems, fortunately virtually all of them do not impact upon me or my family as far as every day life goes. We, as a family think we have a really good standard of life here.

Don't get me wrong I ADORE my new life here, wouldn't go back to the UK for anything...BUT NZ is not some wooly wonderland. You guys really need to think about what you want from your future. NZ is the most isolated western country on earth. Will you miss mates and rellies?

dreamfish May 10th 2007 7:33 am

hate to sound pedantic - but only you can answer that question. take a trip over and see what you think!

Lenmil May 10th 2007 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 4759977)

I love NZ to bits, I think its a great place to bring up my young kids inspite of all the issues it has. A 2 year old kid was shot and killed in a drive by shooting not 75ks from where I live. Gang related incident, probably would/will not ever affect the likes of you or I.

NZ is not the mega safe haven some people think it is.

2 X 16 yr old girls were mown down and killed, numerous injured by some lad in a car, in a large city here at the weekend. NZ has shed loads of problems. Just like the UK, and most other places.

Fitting in? Depends where you go. I fit in well in Palmy but I have heard other pomms getting the right cold shoulder.

Assimilate? NZ is nothing like the UK. We speak the same lingo it ends there. I don't think NZ is a place to come just cos you are fed up with the UK. I came here because I loved the place when I first visited 15 years past. I am not being harsh but I agree with the other poster...you are more likely to have a successful move rather than not, IF you really wanted to come here.

You guys sound like you would consider anywhere other than the UK. NZ is NOT for the feint hearted. It has many problems, lots of poor quality, cold houses, expensive utilities, poor pay, georaphical isolation, huge debt, drugs, violence, terrible driving standards and roads (by UK standards) etc, etc.

I love NZ warts and all, I accept all its problems, fortunately virtually all of them do not impact upon me or my family as far as every day life goes. We, as a family think we have a really good standard of life here.

Don't get me wrong I ADORE my new life here, wouldn't go back to the UK for anything...BUT NZ is not some wooly wonderland. You guys really need to think about what you want from your future. NZ is the most isolated western country on earth. Will you miss mates and rellies?[/QUOTE]

Good true post, be careful mind as some will go for ya throat for daring to speak the truth.

sirplug May 10th 2007 6:23 pm

To help you make your decision, read all the negative things people say about New Zealand, check all the threads for at least the next 10 pages and after all that, if you still want to go, then ask all the questions you want. If, after all that, you don't want to go, then you've answered your own question and struck New Zealand off your list.

New Zealand, because of it's isolation and distance from your family and friends, has to be a place you WANT to go, not a quick 'on a whim' decision

Good luck with your soul searching.:thumbsup: