Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Zealand is really, really cool because...

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I don't associate supermarkets with fruit and veggies, probably because if you want really healthy fresh produce you'll buy it from organic grocers and farmers markets.
Agreed.

You'll buy organic or grow it yourself.

I can't afford organic farm boxes here like I did in the UK. In fact, there are no organic farm boxes here. I've tried the local stalls, farmers markets and stuff. They are just an offshoot and no more organic and fresh really than the supermarket. Most often they are the 2nds and still sprayed or hormone fed when you look into it.

I grow my own. I swap with other people for produce and if I am very lucky I might get some organic meat. Otherwise it is very much the exact same as in the UK , although much more expensive pro rate to wages. It is simply the same supermarket stuff which is kept just the same and no more fresh or tastier here than anywhere elsewhere or any other supermarket in the world.

I'm a bit envious of the on-line shopping though. It's just not viable for us here, although I did do this in the UK .
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

That's interesting, what supermarkets foods do you find taste way better than in the UK?

The fruit and veggies are way better down under than they are in Britain, but they're hardly "supermarket food."

Most Brits lament the lack of 'proper' sausages, bacon, baked beans, tea, biscuits, RTE foods, crisps, salad cream; cheap booze, etc. in supermarkets.

I've bought freshly baked bread from Asda and haven't found anything to touch it in a supermarket on this side of the world. If Asda or Tesco opened (in either NZ or Australia!) the shops would be empty within minutes
Oh please, 'proper' sausages in a supermarket in the UK? Don't make me laugh. Unless you are prepared to pay about £6 a packet in Waitrose for something semi-decent. Full of hooves and other unmentionables more like.

Like Asda and Tescos provide such a superior shopping experience. Pikey chavtastic hell springs to mind. Almost all the foods you have listed are pure junk food which as Stormer says is complete cra* for you anyway. I don't recall supermarkets selling ANYTHING different or having a huge variety in choice from each other (unlike here I always find different stuff). The meat in supermarkets here far surpasses what I've ever managed to get in the UK and is also cheaper. Wine and beer is around the same price if you go for specials and there's such a whole new world of NZ and Australian wine available that you don't get. The cheap plonk in UK supermarkets is again disgusting. And also encourages binge drinking so it's hardly a great idea to sell 50p cans of larger if your country has a massive alcohol problem anyway

Bread is bread for goodness sakes as are tins of beans. I haven't noticed much difference between the two since I got here, nor much price difference either. I can get budget tins of tomatoes in New World just the same as I could in Sainsbury's. Big deal.

I'm not meaning to sound rude as I am all for a good debate but this is the second rather negative post that you've made on this thread - you, and a few others, can feel free to make comments all you like (how honoured all must feel to have my permission ) but this is meant to be a positive thread about the things we expats have been very pleasantly surprised about in New Zealand and it would be nice if it could stay that way.

Last edited by londonescapee; Nov 12th 2010 at 6:20 am.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS
Agreed.

I can't afford organic farm boxes here like I did in the UK. In fact, there are no organic farm boxes here. I've tried the local stalls, farmers markets and stuff. They are just an offshoot and no more organic and fresh really than the supermarket. Most often they are the 2nds and still sprayed or hormone fed when you look into it.

I grow my own. I swap with other people for produce and if I am very lucky I might get some organic meat. Otherwise it is very much the exact same as in the UK , although much more expensive pro rate to wages. It is simply the same supermarket stuff which is kept just the same and no more fresh or tastier here than anywhere elsewhere or any other supermarket in the world.

I'm a bit envious of the on-line shopping though. It's just not viable for us here, although I did do this in the UK .
I have just signed up for $23 a week feeds 2 people organic fruit and veg box delivered to our door each week, from local suppliers. Half the price of what I had in the UK. I have to say that I've found the fresh stuff in supermarkets here much better in the UK and that includes the meat. Horses for courses innit.

http://www.ooooby.com/ Being trialled in Auckland admittedly but I know the guy's finacee who has had a hand in it and their vision is to roll it out nationally. It will be quite an adventure, seeing what shows up in my box each week

Last edited by londonescapee; Nov 12th 2010 at 6:17 am.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gocebe
public toilets in the middle of nowhere. clean, unvandalised, untagged, no syringes, no broken glass. often with toilet paper.

That's because they stink so much you'd have to be pretty desperate to stay in them any longer than absolutely necessary.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Thats the whole point EK the majority part of healthy eating is fruit and veg and to put the word taste to what we are offered in UK supermarkets is totally misrepresentative. Our product is "manufactured" for the shelf and to be honest that's where it should stay! You are what you eat has never had a truer meaning.....

Ahh, but isn't some of that disgusting 'manufactured' for the shelf stuff some of the best export quality produce that New Zealand has to offer.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:55 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonescapee
I'm not meaning to sound rude as I am all for a good debate but this is the second rather negative post that you've made on this thread... but this is meant to be a positive thread about the things we expats have been very pleasantly surprised about in New Zealand and it would be nice if it could stay that way.
Here here!!

Oh and I have also been pleasantly surprised with the selection of rose wine now available in NZ! Last time I came on holiday there was only a couple of really dark coloured ones available, theres now a beautiful array of light roses on the shelves, all of which I have been sampling... well I've gotta find my fave right?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:05 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Agreed.

Yes by far the best way is to grow your own and to swap with neighbours and friends; meat, eggs, honey, plant cuttings too. This is one of the pleasures of living out-of-town and a side to New Zealand that many townies miss out on, which is a great shame.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:07 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not meaning to sound rude as I am all for a good debate but this is the second rather negative post that you've made on this thread... but this is meant to be a positive thread about the things we expats have been very pleasantly surprised about in New Zealand and it would be nice if it could stay that way.
Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Here here!!

Oh and I have also been pleasantly surprised with the selection of rose wine now available in NZ! Last time I came on holiday there was only a couple of really dark coloured ones available, theres now a beautiful array of light roses on the shelves, all of which I have been sampling... well I've gotta find my fave right?
But perhaps you're missing out on the really cool stuff? There's a lot more to NZ you know.

Just a thought.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:27 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't associate supermarkets with fruit and veggies, probably because if you want really healthy fresh produce you'll buy it from organic grocers and farmers markets.
Totally agree if only we had that choice! Farmers in the UK have to sign up to a retail chain and that is where their produce goes. The only place I know of to buy UK produced veg is generally Waitrose..extremely expensive.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:42 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

We have a regular farmers market here, and at least two locally sourced organic veg box suppliers, very large pick your own farm, a local greengrocers and a daily fruit and veg market in our local town. I'm guessing round my way we have the population to support these kinds of business. We also have Tescos, Sainsburys and Waitrose, but they all seem to do well.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:59 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
We have a regular farmers market here, and at least two locally sourced organic veg box suppliers, very large pick your own farm, a local greengrocers and a daily fruit and veg market in our local town. I'm guessing round my way we have the population to support these kinds of business. We also have Tescos, Sainsburys and Waitrose, but they all seem to do well.
We have a regular farmers market but they only do meat, sausages, pies, cheese, honey, etc. The local greengrocer displays nice greens but I then find out his supply is the same as the supermarkets, Egypt, Kenya, Spain, Italy, Holland, France etc so that is pre gassed and near frozen to preserve on the long journey. In summer time it is possible to find roadside sellers in the Vale of Evesham but something like a 40 mile round journey...not a weekly option.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

But perhaps you're missing out on the really cool stuff? There's a lot more to NZ you know.

Just a thought.
I'm sure there is and that's why Flower Pot and I at least seem to love life here. It would be nice if you spread some of that love then instead of all the negativity

Last edited by londonescapee; Nov 13th 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:12 am

Just a thought.
Obviously theres more to NZ than just nice rose wine, that goes without saying! I've taken various road trips and could waffle on forever and a day about the spectacular scenery, wonderful things to do for free, friendly kiwi attitude etc etc but the wine example was just a little anecdote of one of the pleasures I've found
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:15 am

I'm sure there is and that's why Flower Pot and I at least seem to love life here. It would be nice if you spread some of that love then instead of all the negativity
Well said LE

I guess some people can't help but to pee on the bonfire
Ah well, we'll keep the positive vibes going, afterall, I'm sure thats why the OP started this thread

Ooh just thought of another one... its really cool because WE LIVE HERE!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

But of course, how could people not want to flock to these shores simply because of that

I noticed another really cool thing today - prepacked deli meats actually come in a resealable bag which is very handy and saves on clingfilm. If only I had realised before I cut through it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.