Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand is really, really cool because...

Some real nice comments there!
I can't wait to leave the UK, leave behind my crap going no where job and the people I work with and getting on with my life!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I once left my handbag on the bench in the gym changing room, forgetting to lock it in my locker in my haste to get to my exercise class. Bag contained passport and about $200. Bag was still there, intact, when I returned to the changing room after the class!!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

In the Uk that would have been a terror alert and your bag would have been destroyed!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:12 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

After 2 years of research and investigating NZ and relocating to NZ I have reached the conclusion that the UK as is and as will be with Europe intake over the next 10 years is a def no go for me and wife. I have been fairly sure that NZ is the place and after a trip over we decided to go for it. What reservations I have had deep down have just been dispelled by reading this post. Thany you...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:21 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Scuse me butting in from across the water, but what a nice thread. A very pleasant change. All the good points go for Oz as well.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:51 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in AKL, the big city, on a holiday to look see. We had stopped on a main street with a city map out looking for directions for the ferry to Devonport, a suited city type came over and offered help and pointed us in the right direction, he was so pleasant and helpful he brightened up my day.
South Island we had stopped at a bar in Fairlie the only people in the bar were a couple of farm workers they invited us over to their table to join in the conversation as we were strangers to the town. We were having a beer in a bar at Lake Te Anau and chatted to a sheep farmer for a while. On parting he told us to drop by his farm in the morning to look see how a NZ sheep farm works and if he wasn't around go in and make ourselves a coffee until he gets back as the door is never locked.
I spent over a week trying to get used to this friendliness as I was always looking for the "real reason"....I eventually realised this was for real.... At this point I started to wonder why I distrusted in the first place........
But I came back and soon realised why....
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by crap coffee
been to New World last night, and just thought, wish they didn't ask how my day's been. well I actually find it hard to say... I am fine thanks ..when I AM NOT fine.... Just leave me alone. don't wanna say anything.

they ask how are you? because they just have to - part of their training isn't it.
Yes, unfortunately, NZ is beginning to change, especially the supermarkets.

When I arrived three years ago, my shopping was always packed for me at New World. After a year or so, the packers were less frequent. Now half the checkouts are 'self service'... UK service here we come!

Still, I'm very much enjoying the service at other stores while it lasts!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:58 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off the point, but I laugh every time my mum comes to the UK and we go shopping and she just stands there like lady muck expecting her shopping to be packed. Of course that's what she expects at home.

She shops at New World so she might be in for a shock. Hope not.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jmh
Slightly off the point, but I laugh every time my mum comes to the UK and we go shopping and she just stands there like lady muck expecting her shopping to be packed. Of course that's what she expects at home.

She shops at New World so she might be in for a shock. Hope not.
More and more people giving up trying to go supermarket shopping in the UK and having order home delivered. Heavy traffic to get to store, fight for a parking space, run the gauntlet of basket fighting in the overcrowded isles, try to find products that havn't been opened for a quick sniff or worse a finger dip, then join the inevitable queue to reach a checkout of 6 manned tills out of the 18 available, pack your own shopping and get to the car and home before it gets dark......
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

public toilets in the middle of nowhere. clean, unvandalised, untagged, no syringes, no broken glass. often with toilet paper.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

This post has really made us smile We are coming over in February and are now looking forward to all of this even more than we were
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gocebe
public toilets in the middle of nowhere. clean, unvandalised, untagged, no syringes, no broken glass. often with toilet paper.
I often wonder who/how the cleaners get to these really remote toilets

Another good/funny thing I experienced on Sth Island a couple of years ago was driving with some friends in a 4x4 filled to the brim with people/luggage etc. A police car appeared from nowhere, put his lights on and flagged us down. My friend was panicking thinking we were in trouble for overloading the vehicle. It turned out that something had fallen off the roof-rack a few miles back, someone walking saw it fall, picked it up and noted the car make and rego, then handed it to the police who were nearby, whilst they went off home. The police then decided to drive on and find us and return the item.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 10:23 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Any word about the Palmy North school caretaker that was involved in a drive by shooting yesterday? must've been quite an ordeal for the kids when the school went into lockdown?

Same sort of thing happens over here too unfortunately, is nowhere safe these days ?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Any word about the Palmy North school caretaker that was involved in a drive by shooting yesterday? must've been quite an ordeal for the kids when the school went into lockdown?

Same sort of thing happens over here too unfortunately, is nowhere safe these days ?
Discharged, however pellet still in arm???? Not a very 'cool' thing eh?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

Yes this is sad but doesn't need to be part of the 'cool' thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.