Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:46 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand is really, really cool because...

I cycle to work in the leafy borough of Kingston. It can be a pleasant ride outside of commuting hours, but since I don't have that luxury I have to cycle in peak hour traffic and past two schools. This week I have had three near misses due to careless driving. When I cycle I am on high alert, aware that car doors can swing out at a moment's notice (especially around schools), people walk out right in front of you, and cars drivers are frequently rude and impatient. In addition you see all sorts of stupid and risky behaviour on the part of cyclists.

When I decided to take up cycling 5 years ago I did a great course put on by the local council on how to cycle safely in traffic and it was very valuable. I would advise anyone cycling in traffic to try and find a course like this so you are prepared for the stupid things that many people do on the roads. This is not to put blame on anyone, just to say do what you can to ensure your safety.

I'm not getting into country comparisons. Focus on what you can do to make your environment safer wherever that happens to be.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

I'm not there yet......arriving in less than 4 weeks!

Im worried I'l miss the readiness of the shops here....as in If i need something, furniture, food, make-up, gifts, photo's printed etc etc that i won't know where to go? You know like big chain store's, brands etc ASDA,

I know I'l learn and get to know but even online shopping doesn't quite seem the same lol......trivial perhaps but its normality that i know il need when we arrive otherwise Il miss home and my family....this is inevitable but i would like to keep it at bay.

Oh and NZ is REALLY REALLY cool because it is not the UK!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:05 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Another 'positive' thread ruined... *clicks unsubscribe*

Cookie, how exciting! Its a stressful, nervous and exciting time for you now, but it will all be worth it
There are lots of chain stores here to fulfil your shopping necessities... food stores like Countdown, Food Town or my fave Pak 'n' Save.
Asda type shops that sell everything... my fave is The Warehouse. And furniture shops, theres 100's! Briscoes is good for homeware stuff and we got reasonably priced furniture from Target

Good Luck!!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Staying on the cool topic and relating it to supermarkets here... it's great to be able to pull off the outter leaves of veges and chuck them in the bins provided in the vege aisle. You don't have to pay for what you would throw away at home.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:12 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand is really, really cool because...it has the best rugby union team in the world.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
New Zealand is really, really cool because...it has the best rugby union team in the world.
We'll see come 2010

New Zealand is really, really cool because I can grow tomatoes & melons outside in the veg patch .
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:17 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We'll see come 2010
by 2011 things may've changed, I think the ABs may have peaked too early.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:36 am
`

Oopsies. I meant 2011.

New Zealand is really, really cool because you hardly ever see dog poops festering away just waiting for you to tred in them .
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:06 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oopsies. I meant 2011.

New Zealand is really, really cool because you hardly ever see dog poops festering away just waiting for you to tred in them .
That's true!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Another 'positive' thread ruined... *clicks unsubscribe*

Cookie, how exciting! Its a stressful, nervous and exciting time for you now, but it will all be worth it
There are lots of chain stores here to fulfil your shopping necessities... food stores like Countdown, Food Town or my fave Pak 'n' Save.
Asda type shops that sell everything... my fave is The Warehouse. And furniture shops, theres 100's! Briscoes is good for homeware stuff and we got reasonably priced furniture from Target

Good Luck!!
Hi

Yes very exciting three weeks on tuesday!!! and Two days after i arrive Im getting married!!! In Queenstown

Im glad to hear that there are lots of stores for me to waste my time in...it's my hobby. I guess its just a case of getting to know all the new names.....where in NZ do you live Flowerpot?

x
Old Nov 20th 2010, 12:05 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cookie2b
Hi

Yes very exciting three weeks on tuesday!!! and Two days after i arrive Im getting married!!! In Queenstown

Im glad to hear that there are lots of stores for me to waste my time in...it's my hobby. I guess its just a case of getting to know all the new names.....where in NZ do you live Flowerpot?

x
Ooh fabulous! Wow your not wasting any time eh!

Yes I also have a shopping addiction and despite what some expats say, I enjoy shopping here
We live in Stanmore Bay, Hibiscus Coast, Auckland. Where in Auckland are you heading?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:52 am
`

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
That's true!
Tiz
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
by 2011 things may've changed, I think the ABs may have peaked too early.
Surely not history repeats itself For the first time ever I was cheering the Irish this am

NZ is also really really cool because it has amazing 1/2 marathons and running in general (just returned from KeriKeri 1/2 which was the best half I've done yet ). Oh and I have never ever tasted oranges more amazingly yummy than what we found up in the Northland this weekend.....
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:18 pm
`

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Oh and I have never ever tasted oranges more amazingly yummy than what we found up in the Northland this weekend.....
HeHe.

Our bit of NZ is really, really cool coz we have our own orange, lemon and grapefruit bushes growing in the garden.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is cool because:-

Can grow lots of fruit and veggies - potatoes,yams,peas,onions,carrots,silverbeet, tomatoes, courgettes,parsnips,leeks,beetroot,peppers,chilies ,basil,coriander,rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries in our garden/greenhouse.

kids can walk to school safely on their own,can take part in lots of sports after school,do more than just academic things which help build confidence

the people are so friendly and the sales service much better- we had bought bar stools almost a year ago and one broke. OH took it back,no receipt and they could not find it on computer. Had been a special offer and they don't keep them on file apparently. BUT they still replaced it as they had us on file as having bought other stuff from them!

I make most food from scratch,no pre-made packaged stuff for us any more. Even make my own bread,do home baking and make wine

We are only minutes away from loads of clean,unspoilt beaches ( no dog poo etc anywhere ) and you can safely leave your bags etc to go for a walk and they will be there when you come back.

Often leave the car unlocked in the driveway

Very sociable and friendly neighbours; we swap food stuffs ( home grown veg for blue cod from fishing trip ) and if make too much baking then just
hand them some in

No-one gives a toss what you wear......my kids have become Kiwi-fied and wear shorts and jandals if it rains,or no shoes at all. They say eh at the end of sentences,call rolls buns,crisps chips,and have become happier all round

I could go on but this would be VERY long.

Phyl x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.