Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

New Zealand is really, really cool because...

Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand is really, really cool because...

I was in the barbers this morning and a man in his 60s walked in with thermal socks on..no shoes just the thermal socks. I soooo love the excentricities of many kiwis. It is also cool because my drivers licence turned up in the post today having lost it on Friday. That saved me $38!! Really grateful to the individual who handed it into plod who then posted it on to me. I know I speak of the negatives of this country (that is getting balance methinks) but there is much I love about NZ inspite of my very 50's moaning ways. The sun is radiant and the pool is almost 22 degrees. Coolio.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand is really, really cool because...

theres loads of stuff that gets on my tits as well, but on the other hand we lost a dog yesterday that ended up in the pound and there was no charge as he was registered wich i thought was nice

Neil
Old Nov 8th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I was in the barbers this morning and a man in his 60s walked in with thermal socks on..no shoes just the thermal socks. I soooo love the excentricities of many kiwis. It is also cool because my drivers licence turned up in the post today having lost it on Friday. That saved me $38!! Really grateful to the individual who handed it into plod who then posted it on to me. I know I speak of the negatives of this country (that is getting balance methinks) but there is much I love about NZ inspite of my very 50's moaning ways. The sun is radiant and the pool is almost 22 degrees. Coolio.
Just something different. I bought some cream in a chemist on Palm Beach Plaza. Whilst waiting for our daughter to pick us up we had a look at it. However when we got home found we had not got the said item. Went back to the Chemists the following day and just mentioned the fact that I had bought it the day before but lost it. His reply was there you are you had left it on the bench onside and someone had handed it in so hows that for honesty. There are still some good people left in this world but seldom get to meet them

June.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Just something different. I bought some cream in a chemist on Palm Beach Plaza. Whilst waiting for our daughter to pick us up we had a look at it. However when we got home found we had not got the said item. Went back to the Chemists the following day and just mentioned the fact that I had bought it the day before but lost it. His reply was there you are you had left it on the bench onside and someone had handed it in so hows that for honesty. There are still some good people left in this world but seldom get to meet them

June.
Nice one. I think NZ is cool because you can swap a fairly average UK life in a very average locale (in my case really naff) and swap it for something so very special that you could never get near it in the UK unless you had sacks of dosh. AND our house here which whilst it is not as sturdy as the one in the Uk ( ie it ain't brick) is much nicer in many ways and on a far better section with amazing views and it cost half what the UK one did..and that UK one was in the 2nd worst post code in Northampton.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

...cycling along a very busy highway in the capital city, I stopped for a couple of minutes to take off my coat. Both cyclists who passed me stopped to ask if I was okay

...I went to a city centre shop to get a watch battery changed. When I came back to collect it they said the battery was fine - they had opened the watch, tested the battery, and cleaned the dirty metal contacts. No charge!

...shop workers always ask how my day's been. I was suspicious of this at first, but now realise they are just being nice, and actually want to know
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

......Saturday night I went to the bottle shop to pick up a few beers and they were out of stock, so the manager phoned the next closest bottle shop and asked if I minded waiting whilst he went and got them!!!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
......Saturday night I went to the bottle shop to pick up a few beers and they were out of stock, so the manager phoned the next closest bottle shop and asked if I minded waiting whilst he went and got them!!!
now thats service Bevissa
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I was worried about my card not being accepted when I bought my car and when I told the salesman about it, he said 'well if not, you can take the car and pay me later'
Then he phoned his wife to find their sat-nav so we could use it on our trip to Auckland!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:31 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

...general use items aren't locked away or grafittied! Coming from Lpool, we expect everything to be bolted to something or it will be nicked, our local park has the football nets just propped up at the side for anyone to use, we couldnt believe it!!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:39 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and my hubby left his sunglasses in a changing room of a shop in a huge Westfield shopping centre... realised the next day, popped in the next time we were there (3ish days later) and they had them there for him!

I could go on and on actually, keep thinking of great anecdotes about how lovely the kiwis are... this is my kinda thread, well done Genesis
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a $30 bread bin in the Warehouse and loads of other stuff but accidentally left the bread bin behind. Went back the next day with the receipt - it was waiting for me on customer services.

Customer service in shops is generally really good here. Was shocked back in the UK last June by the surly attitudes. Clothes shops here are good: the staff wil genuinely try to find stuff for you that fits and looks good. OK it's a great sales pitch, but whereas we might be talking that level of service in perhaps Selfridges in the UK, my favourite jeans shop here gives the same service even for a $50 top

Jan
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:22 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drrobert

...shop workers always ask how my day's been. I was suspicious of this at first, but now realise they are just being nice, and actually want to know
I remember this on my last trip. Because I am used to the UK manner in shops it wore me down about after the first 10 times. I wanted to say 'look will you just leave me alone to do my shopping'. LOL. I like it actually, I just wasn't used to it at the time.

I think the UK shop staff are a bit warmer outside of London though.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I have spent some working time in California, where the "have a nice day " comment is soooo hollow. Here in NZ, I don't think it is hollow, OK the waiter is not going to be your best friend, but I do think the banter is genuinely friendly.

Jan
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zoexr
I was worried about my card not being accepted when I bought my car and when I told the salesman about it, he said 'well if not, you can take the car and pay me later'
Then he phoned his wife to find their sat-nav so we could use it on our trip to Auckland!
This reminds me of a friend of mine who had a set of tyres fitted to his classic car on sale or return for a week to "try them out" as the garage were unsure of the conversion from old cross ply tyres and how they would effect the handling and feel of driving the car.

He went back after a week and said they weren't right and so he had a different set for a further week!! Only in NZ
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drrobert

been to New World last night, and just thought, wish they didn't ask how my day's been. well I actually find it hard to say... I am fine thanks ..when I AM NOT fine.... Just leave me alone. don't wanna say anything.

they ask how are you? because they just have to - part of their training isn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.