Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Oz ?? Answers on a post card

New Zealand or Oz ?? Answers on a post card

Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Michelle & Chris will become famous soon enoughMichelle & Chris will become famous soon enough
Default New Zealand or Oz ?? Answers on a post card

Hi

We have family in Brisbane and have been looking into join them but my husband has just had an eve-mail about a job prospect in New Zealand. On the back of this I took a look at the BE New Zealand forum.

Bit of a shocker to be honest, where as when I go on the Oz site ereryone who has actually made it out to Oz with some exeptions seem very posative and the over all feeling I get is that what a great place it is. Also that the cost of living is on the whole alot more reasonable than the uk.

On the other hand when I came off the New Zealand site....ahhhh cost of living higher than the UK is that possible nad peope seem not to be as pleased with their move than those who have made the move to OZ.

The job salary would be between $70-$95 NZ we are 2 adult 2 kids.

Tell me, I know they are very different places but we want to enhance and improve our lives not just struggle on the other side of the word.

comment,experieces and thoughts on a post card please.....

Many thanks
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or Oz ?? Answers on a post card

Only you can decide. Do your research on both countries, then write a list of Pros and Cons for each place.

Also remember that some of us love NZ and are so busy doing things we don't have time to post. I'm sure there are people in Oz who are struggling and there are certainly many of us out in NZ who have "enhanced and improved our lives".

If you do your research throughly you have a greater idea what to expect, where ever you go. Those who complain about NZ have often had tremendous bad luck or didn't do enough research to realise that a family of 4 will struggle to live on $36,000 a year. Remember there are also those that no matter what, do not settle in either NZ or OZ, just check out the "returning to uk forum" for details.

Whatever you decide this forum can only contribute so much to your decision, the final one must be made by yourselves after weighing up research from more than one source, to take this forum as your only advice would be somewhat foolish.

Good luck
Gill
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:26 am

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Michelle & Chris
Hi

We have family in Brisbane and have been looking into join them but my husband has just had an eve-mail about a job prospect in New Zealand. On the back of this I took a look at the BE New Zealand forum.

Bit of a shocker to be honest, where as when I go on the Oz site ereryone who has actually made it out to Oz with some exeptions seem very posative and the over all feeling I get is that what a great place it is. Also that the cost of living is on the whole alot more reasonable than the uk.

On the other hand when I came off the New Zealand site....ahhhh cost of living higher than the UK is that possible nad peope seem not to be as pleased with their move than those who have made the move to OZ.

Tell me, I know they are very different places but we want to enhance and improve our lives not just struggle on the other side of the word.

Many thanks
Hi There!

We also went through this when we started thinking about emigration back in June and there were three countries in the running - Canada, Oz and NZ. Both Oz and NZ seemed easier moves w.r.t. being similar to the UK but on the other side of the world. Lyns doesn't like spiders and snakes and hence NZ won over Oz (although we do still have mixed feedback on this).
Like yourselves, we too were very suprised about what we read on British Expats about NZ and costs of living. Reading books and to a certain degree speaking to people we got the impression that the COL was lower in the NZ - then we came to BE and we get the impression that it's higher - confused? yep. With wages being lower than the UK you would assume that the COL is lower hence we were a bit confused - even concerned on COL, as people generally don't want to struggle excessively or what is the point of moving?
In terms of enhancing and improving our lives, we do consider that NZ might offer this BUT the only way we have concluded we will know, is if we go out there and experience it first hand. Yes, we will spend money getting out there and yes it might be a big mistake, but at least we aren't going to be looking back in 20 years and thinking 'what if' (and the UK will have you back anyway).
We have also noticed that the Oz forum seems to be more upbeat and positive, so in BE terms it does look better in Oz. However, just as a comment we spoke to someone the other week and they had gone biking around Oz and NZ and the view they had was that the people in Oz seemed to be more anti-brit than NZ - again another opinion which totally puts a spanner in the works for a straight answer
As for salaries - it's a big issue that we haven't got to the bottom of yet and depends on what you do, area you want to live in etc. Have you an idea where in NZ you would like to live yet?
Catch you later.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:49 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO there are pros & cons for both Oz & NZ so really it comes down to you doing as much research as you can & make the decision that suits your situation. I agree there has been a lot of negative comments from the NZ forum & many which I as a Kiwi havent been unable to agree with but that doesnt mean they arent valid comments. Ive just been lucky enough not to have personally experienced these problems & having spent most of my life there Im sure its been a lot easier for me.

On a personal note I know loads of expat british who love the lifestyle in NZ & many say they couldnt return to their old lives in the UK but on saying that, Ive also met some who no matter how hard they try to adapt just cant make it work for them. Some want to give up really early on but if they survive the so called honeymoon period & give themselves plenty of time to settle & adjust they seem to do just fine. Im sure where ever you decide to try, be it Oz or NZ if the want is big enough you will make a good transisition & be happy in your choice.

good luck in your decision as its going to be one of the biggest decisions of your life.

Cheers
Cindy
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Michelle & Chris will become famous soon enoughMichelle & Chris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shepslady
IMHO there are pros & cons for both Oz & NZ so really it comes down to you doing as much research as you can & make the decision that suits your situation. I agree there has been a lot of negative comments from the NZ forum & many which I as a Kiwi havent been unable to agree with but that doesnt mean they arent valid comments. Ive just been lucky enough not to have personally experienced these problems & having spent most of my life there Im sure its been a lot easier for me.

On a personal note I know loads of expat british who love the lifestyle in NZ & many say they couldnt return to their old lives in the UK but on saying that, Ive also met some who no matter how hard they try to adapt just cant make it work for them. Some want to give up really early on but if they survive the so called honeymoon period & give themselves plenty of time to settle & adjust they seem to do just fine. Im sure where ever you decide to try, be it Oz or NZ if the want is big enough you will make a good transisition & be happy in your choice.

good luck in your decision as its going to be one of the biggest decisions of your life.

Cindy

Thanks for all your thoughts and comment. Its early days yet and there is obviously alot mor research to be done. Both places clearly have there merits. We'll keep gathering the info, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

Michelle
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

We have been in NZ for three years and are moving to Australia in a month. Generally speaking Oz seems to appeal to more people than NZ does - higher volume of migrants move there every year, Oz raised their migrant visa points due to demand, Nz lowered their points to encourage demand, more NZers move over to Oz than vice versa, Oz stopped NZ PR holders from being permitted to work in Oz, NZ still permits Oz PR holders to work in NZ. This is a very simplistic view and you may well be one of the people that the opposite is true but if you go with the majority viewpoint Oz is a more popular migrant destination.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Many thanks
Hi
We also iniotially thought we were going to go to Aus, but I got a job offer in NZ instead and we have been there for three years almost now. A lot has been written in terms of COL, NZ is still cheaper than the UK, but not by as much as people think. This is probably where the negative comments about how expensive NZ stems from. the salary ranges you are quoting are quite good, but it depends what type of lifestyle you are after. I cant comment on AUs too much. It probably is a personal decision based on hat you are looking for and what each country has to offer.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
We have been in NZ for three years and are moving to Australia in a month.
I'd suggest you make sure you have your NZ citizenship first, or at least an indefinite returning resident visa.

Especially if you will only be temporary residents in Australia, as you could end up having to go home in the end otherwise.

Generally speaking Oz seems to appeal to more people than NZ does - higher volume of migrants move there every year, Oz raised their migrant visa points due to demand, Nz lowered their points to encourage demand, more NZers move over to Oz than vice versa, Oz stopped NZ PR holders from being permitted to work in Oz, NZ still permits Oz PR holders to work in NZ. This is a very simplistic view and you may well be one of the people that the opposite is true but if you go with the majority viewpoint Oz is a more popular migrant destination.

Advantages of Australia:
1. Better weather
2. Better economy/more opportunities
3. Citizenship in three years (once the rule change comes into effect) - still less than the five now needed in New Zealand.

There is a steady flow of New Zealand citizens seeking better lives in Australia. Relatively few Australians are interested in moving to NZ.

Jeremy
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'd suggest you make sure you have your NZ citizenship first, or at least an indefinite returning resident visa.

Especially if you will only be temporary residents in Australia, as you could end up having to go home in the end otherwise.

Advantages of Australia:
1. Better weather
2. Better economy/more opportunities
3. Citizenship in three years (once the rule change comes into effect) - still less than the five now needed in New Zealand.

There is a steady flow of New Zealand citizens seeking better lives in Australia. Relatively few Australians are interested in moving to NZ.

Jeremy

Ohhhh,decisions, decisions

Chris my husband is very drawn to NZ (he's very out dorrsy type, mountains, walking etc) and he now has been invited to an interview for a position in Auckland. Securing a job is as you would expect very high on his priority list and it does not seem to be as easy to get these kind of job opportunities from OZ.

As for our particular live style, we not rocka fella. Relatively normal family life but we were hoping that I would be able to stay at home due to not having the family support for the kids during holidays etc...

The question is will that be possible on a salary of between $70-$95. Some luxuries would be nice.

Thanks for all your help on this one, comparing the two places is probably not very fair but difficult not do do when your at our particular stage of decision making. On the other hand we may not even get in. So then there will be no decision to make.

Cheers

Michelle
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Ohhhh,decisions, decisions

Chris my husband is very drawn to NZ (he's very out dorrsy type, mountains, walking etc) and he now has been invited to an interview for a position in Auckland. Securing a job is as you would expect very high on his priority list and it does not seem to be as easy to get these kind of job opportunities from OZ.

As for our particular live style, we not rocka fella. Relatively normal family life but we were hoping that I would be able to stay at home due to not having the family support for the kids during holidays etc...

The question is will that be possible on a salary of between $70-$95. Some luxuries would be nice.

Thanks for all your help on this one, comparing the two places is probably not very fair but difficult not do do when your at our particular stage of decision making. On the other hand we may not even get in. So then there will be no decision to make.

Cheers

Michelle
Getting a job offer is a big plus, and the salries youre quoting are quite good for NZ. For Auckland, housing is the biggest issue in terms of cost, how much money will you have towards buying a new house? The size of your mortgage will make a big difference in how far your budget will stretch. Many famileis get by on less than the numbers youre quoting, so staying at home is do-able, but you will need to budget well. Like I said, cost of housing is teh big issue in Auckland.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Getting a job offer is a big plus, and the salries youre quoting are quite good for NZ. For Auckland, housing is the biggest issue in terms of cost, how much money will you have towards buying a new house? The size of your mortgage will make a big difference in how far your budget will stretch. Many famileis get by on less than the numbers youre quoting, so staying at home is do-able, but you will need to budget well. Like I said, cost of housing is teh big issue in Auckland.

If you do decide to go for New Zealand then make sure you get a permanent visa. You don't really want all the hassle and worry involved with temporary visas - don't let a company sweet-talk you otherwise.

Also bear in mind that NZ citizens (which you'll presumably want to become) can still live in Australia, but no longer with full PR rights automatically unless you apply for and qualify for PR through normal rules.

Whereas Australian citizens arriving in New Zealand still get full permanent resident rights from Day 1, including access to NZ citizenship after meeting usual residence requirements.

Laws could always change, but the bottom line at the moment is that an Australian passport in New Zealand goes a lot further than a NZ passport in Australia.

Also consider the weather - New Zealand does get a lot of rain and some summers are quite cool and cloudy (like the UK).

Do your research and choose well - you don't want to join the ranks of those who migrate to NZ, take a holiday in Australia and then wish they had gone to Australia instead. Especially if you are eligible for both countries.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 3rd 2005 at 11:31 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Hi

we'll probably have approx £100-£120k if we can sell the house. What are the house prices like? I was blown away by what you can buy in OZ sounds like its not the same story in NZ. There goes my pool.

M
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

we'll probably have approx £100-£120k if we can sell the house. What are the house prices like? I was blown away by what you can buy in OZ sounds like its not the same story in NZ. There goes my pool.

M
Cant say too much about Aus, house prices in NZ vary a lot depending on the city and suburb really. In the nice Auckland inner city suburbs houses go for $500k upwards, further afield in North Shore City and Waitakere City you can probably find nice houses in decent areas starting around the mid 300s. Wellington is slightly less, Christchurch less again.

The high interest rates in NZ are a b**** though