Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Over Canada

New Zealand Over Canada

Old Nov 24th 2007, 11:40 am
Just Joined

bugg_tb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand Over Canada

The Mrs and I are going to be emigrating at some point over the next few years I work in IT and she works with Autistic kids. I love Canada and she prefers New Zealand. My argument is Canada is huge and full of adventure where as New Zealand is like flying halfway round the world to be in a similar place to the UK What I'd like to hear are peoples comments and arguments as to why New Zealand is a great place to emigrate to and what it has that Canada doesn't.

Cheers

Tom
Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: New Zealand Over Canada

Be prepared for a tongue lashing comparing New zealand to the UK!
We looked at the usual 3 canada, australia and canada. The process of getting to canada can take up to 7 years! My husband had his heart on canada but i like a little sunshine, my sister is in new zealand and the varying landscape and abundance of activitys sold it for me. After living in row upon row of terraced housing in the middle of a city i cant wait to get to the countryside. Thats something we couldnt afford to do here work and live in the countryside mainly because of people buying second homes and only living in them for half the year!!

I cant really comment on the canada vs New zealand debate as ive never been to either but the best things come in small packages!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: New Zealand Over Canada

Originally Posted by bugg_tb
The Mrs and I are going to be emigrating at some point over the next few years.

I work in IT and she works with Autistic kids.

I love Canada and she prefers New Zealand.

My argument is Canada is huge and full of adventure where as New Zealand is like flying halfway round the world to be in a similar place to the UK

What I'd like to hear are peoples comments and arguments as to why New Zealand is a great place to emigrate to and what it has that Canada doesn't.

Cheers

Tom
Old Nov 24th 2007, 9:48 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'll bite. Where in Canada? HUUUUUGE country! It's not like Québec and Vancouver are interchangeable or anything like that.

What are you after? And do you want snow shovels to be an integral part of your life?
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

The Mrs and I are going to be emigrating at some point over the next few years I work in IT and she works with Autistic kids. I love Canada and she prefers New Zealand. My argument is Canada is huge and full of adventure where as New Zealand is like flying halfway round the world to be in a similar place to the UK What I'd like to hear are peoples comments and arguments as to why New Zealand is a great place to emigrate to and what it has that Canada doesn't.

Cheers

Tom
Tom I have only spent 3 weeks in Canada so probably can't help much with your question. However as a Kiwi who lived in the UK for 5 years I am really keen to hear about those similarities you mention ?
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

I can think of a good reason not to go to Canada.

It's next-door to the US

Kip
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:33 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kippers

It's next-door to the US

Kip
Yup, it's true what ol' Kip has written. Th US of A is right there on Canada's southern border and, my gosh, right there to the west of Canada if one were to include Alaska.

Quelle horreur! One might catch Yankee cooties or sumpin'.

Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Just to point out to those who point to the USA being to the south of Canada, there are 14 states north of the Canada US border. Think about it... Southern Ontario is on the same latitude as Northern California.

Anyway, we are Canadian, pleased to answer any questions. We live in Christchurch now. It does take along time to get in from the UK as the London office of the Canadian Immigration Service takes in a wide geographic area. Also, they promise to look at everyone who applies rather than pre sifting the applications to get rid of the unskilled applications. I have heard it could take up to 36 months.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Anyway, we are Canadian, pleased to answer any questions. We live in Christchurch now. It does take along time to get in from the UK as the London office of the Canadian Immigration Service takes in a wide geographic area. Also, they promise to look at everyone who applies rather than pre sifting the applications to get rid of the unskilled applications. I have heard it could take up to 36 months.
Closer to 5 years, on current projections.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:50 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kippers

It's next-door to the US

Kip
Where as New Zealand is next to nowhere apart from 1952
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, I feel that New Zealand and the TV Series Hearbeat are comparable. You know I used to like the character David, but it has been some time since I realized I can't stand him.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Actually, I feel that New Zealand and the TV Series Hearbeat are comparable. You know I used to like the character David, but it has been some time since I realized I can't stand him.
Do you mean Heartbeat? I was in it twice

Thanks for the interesting comments as well guys

Tom
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I meant Heartbeat. It is back on here on TV1 on Saturdays at 1pm. I always plan to be home and do the ironing at that time.

Cool, that you were on it. I thought it was awful how PC Crane died. I don't mind PC Walker, they brough him on for some sexappeal I think. So, we know you aren't PC Walker, but what episodes were you in?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Yes, I meant Heartbeat. It is back on here on TV1 on Saturdays at 1pm. I always plan to be home and do the ironing at that time.

Cool, that you were on it. I thought it was awful how PC Crane died. I don't mind PC Walker, they brough him on for some sexappeal I think. So, we know you aren't PC Walker, but what episodes were you in?
Blimey, you must watch it religiously They film around where I live so when I was at school they often used us as extras. Nothing special I'm afraid, but well paid and lots of fun when you're a kid. When we were shooting all those years ago they said it would be the last series. But they're still shooting, I don't think Heartbeat will ever end