Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand is not as I hoped

New Zealand is not as I hoped

Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:38 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand is not as I hoped

You don't have to apologise for being negative. Only you know what is in your heart. Auckland does funny things to my head......let's just say we've got history.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to the Mainland? There's so much more to NZ than Auckland, don't give up on NZ based on 3 months in AKL
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I agree woodlea. Was in nz on hol last October, didn't like Auckland that much, however Rotorua and Taupo,... Now you're talking lol
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

3 months might not seem like long enough to make your mind up to some people but in our time here we have seen numerous couples come and go including one couple who stayed for just 5 months. He had always dreamed of living in NZ but once he got here found the working conditions, education, facilities, cost of living and cost/condition of housing were just not what he had expected. The pull of family also contributed. We heard from them a couple of times when they got back, they had sold their house so had to live in a cold caravan in Aberdeen to start with but once they were into a house and settled they never looked back and are much happier. It took the NZ experience to help them realise where they wanted to be all along.
I remember sitting on the beach with another family and the wife saying "what's not to love", two years later they were back in Colchester. We still see them occasionally when we are in the UK and again they are very much happier there.
For our part we have been away from NZ for a couple of years and could, in theory, have gone back to the UK after that but decided to come back here for the kids. I like it here but it will never be home and one way or another we will end up back on the UK I think, but not until the kids are gone. Having to go back for a funeral this weekend has really highlighted how stupidly far away from 'home' we live.
So I'd have to say that if this doesn't feel right to you and the options are there then there is something to be said for getting out sooner rather than later and limiting the impact.
But that's just my opinion, we've always tried to go with the idea that no decision is the wrong decision, simply the one you make at the time based on what you know or feel.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

dgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by susanll
This was partly down to lack of research ...
You only have yourself to blame, unfortunately. But helpful advice in this thread can help you turn things around quickly.

1. Better digs in better part of Auckland. Large swathes of the North Shore seem aimed at older demos. Do better due diligence this time. No point saying you were "led to believe" something.

2. Look elsewhere in NZ. Taupo/Bay of Plenty area, as already stated. Wellington has neighborhood vibe. Nelson ...

3. Arrival of stuff from UK will help immensely.

4. Weather. Well, isn't the only thing Brits talk about?

5. I feel for your children, but remember that as kids we were all bored most of the time. I don't recall Britain being a fashion hotspot, or maybe I have seen too many Ken Loach movies. Parts of Auckland are world renowned surfing areas. If your son has his own wheels that would help. Public transport in that vast metropolis is wanting.

6. Three months? Actually, I do not believe that first impressions count for a lot.

7. Yes, New Zealand is the poorer cousin of Australia. As a kid, I would have killed to move there. But once again, it comes down to expectations, proper planning ...

Last edited by dgdevil; Jan 5th 2013 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I'm always interested to know why people say a place is boring, what is it about Auckland that makes you say that?
It is lifeless and uninspiring to me. Not much real exciting arts, exhibitions, concerts, discussions, talks, developments, interesting ideas and people, great companies, new concepts, great architecture, etc..pp ....it is just suburbia, a conglomerate of houses. People want to be left alone, and go to the beach and fishing not discuss the problems of live and death. In my view they are lacking the oomph.

Last edited by Assanah; Jan 5th 2013 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgdevil
You only have yourself to blame, unfortunately. But helpful advice in this thread can help you turn things around quickly.

1. Better digs in better part of Auckland. Large swathes of the North Shore seem aimed at older demos. Do better due diligence this time. No point saying you were "led to believe" something.

2. Look elsewhere in NZ. Taupo/Bay of Plenty area, as already stated. Wellington has neighborhood vibe. Nelson ...

3. Arrival of stuff from UK will help immensely.

4. Weather. Well, isn't the only thing Brits talk about?

5. I feel for your children, but remember that as kids we were all bored most of the time. I don't recall Britain being a fashion hotspot, or maybe I have seen too many Ken Loach movies. Parts of Auckland are world renowned surfing areas. If your son has his own wheels that would help. Public transport in that vast metropolis is wanting.

6. Three months? Actually, I do not believe that first impressions count for a lot.

7. Yes, New Zealand is the poorer cousin of Australia. As a kid, I would have killed to move there. But once again, it comes down to expectations, proper planning ...
....8. Or go back home. If the country is not for you and your family, don't waste your time. Enjoy the summer here! It is great. Learn something new...diving, surfing or whatever fancy you. If you still don't like it here, leave. To me the summer in NZ and the great surfing is not worth to be separated from my family and having limited opportunities in all areas that are important to me. We will be leaving in a few months. I am done with trying to 'make it work'.

BTW, my first impression of Auckland was "??" and after two years it still is "??". I now mean to supplement "??" with "!!". My experience with moving to the US and the UK was '!!' in the beginning and '!!' in the end.

Last edited by Assanah; Jan 5th 2013 at 5:55 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched 'Wanted Down Under' - (the new series on the BBC), and they sent the family to Auckland - again! They showed them what they could buy for their £200k in Auckland, and they were really shocked. I find this program extremely annoying, as it gave them a completely distorted view of NZ, and what houses in NZ cost. Clearly, Aucks is not representative of the whole of NZ. If they were only to send these families on a short commuter flight out of Auckland, they may have a completely different perspective on NZ - house prices and all!
It would be the same if a family from NZ was sent to live in central London for a week, and were horrified at the cost of housing in central London - of course they would be, but that doesn't represent the whole of the UK.
I would respectfully suggest to Susanll, please don't think that 'all' of NZ is represented by Auckland. Don't get me wrong, I like Aucks, but wouldn't want live there (personally). Before you give up on NZ, try another area, as you may be pleasantly surprised. I understand that this is only part of the issues you have with NZ, but it is as true of house prices, as it is of availability of 'things to do' etc.
I hope it all works out for you, whatever you decide.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:17 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Auckland is not to be confused with the rest of New Zealand, l like to visit but wouldn't live there!

Wellington is a much better city I love it, also Taupo, Hawkes Bay, New Plymouth even much nicer places.

But if I had a better lifestyle, job and lived in Devon, don't think I would have moved I don't think so anyway

I like it here it feels like home to me most of the time, don't want to be forever in wanganui though, even though I have lovely friends and a lovely house in a good area.

Good luck to whatever you decide
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Susanll, I think you've make some fair comments about Auckland and can appreciate what you say. We live in Auckland and feel that it lacks so much for a city, compared to elsewhere in the world. I don't think your feelings will get better no matter how long you stay. You know very quickly whether a place feels right or not.

After spending some time overseas, I've come back feeling very dissatisfied with the place and am not prepared to put up with the things I was getting used to before. In fact, I think things are getting worse here, especially the higth cost of everything.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:00 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

I live in a big city and all I do is go to the cinema, bars, museums, shops and restaurants with my friends. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:29 pm
Banned

susanll is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for yor replies, that is very kind. I can totally appreciate that New Zealand may be for some people but I also think that I do not just want to settle for something and hope it will get better, first impressions can very often be your best gauge.

Some things are quite nice such as the beaches and some of the scenery but you can't live by that alone, besides we had agreat outdoor life in the UK and don't honestly find the outdoors stuff much better than around Devon or when we used to go to Scotland or the Scilly isles. I sort of feel that New Zealand has been slightly over hyped especially after the Lord of the rings and Hobbit movies. That's just my and my husbands opinion, sorry.

Thanks for all your advice I do appreciate it, I don't think that this is anything to do with culture shock. We have all lived in a few different countries due to my husbands line of work. We have lived in the middle east, USA and other European countries so we know about adjusting to a new country.

It is more that we are just not too impressed with things here, sorry to all who love it. I don't suffer from, nor do the children suffer from homesickness so this is not an issue. We have all done a good exploration of the North Island and a small amount of the south Island as my husband went to Christchurch for a business meeting, but sorry nothing blew my socks off. Other places to live in Auckland may look a little better but I don't think it would solve our issues. My children are just teenagers and feel very strong about going back so I guess if none of us are happy here we will be moving on.

Oh well onwards and upwards I guess.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

does sound like its not working out for your family and probably won't. mark it up as an experience and move forward - whatever that direction may be.

please keep us informed on your decision and plans as would like to see you and your family happy and settled somewhere in the not to distant future
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:50 pm
Banned

rodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the roughrodge is a jewel in the rough

There are some things said here that I find odd so I signed up to give my 2 cents. Mainly because I have knowledge of both the London and Auckland property markets. I have to say, I have yet to see a rental on the North Shore for $1250 per week that is anything other than luxurious. If your house is leaky and not insulated and resembles a shed, you are quite silly to be still be there at that price I think.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:38 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

What does the "Lord of the Rings" have in common with the North Shore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.