Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Navy - copied from Intros

New Zealand Navy - copied from Intros

Old May 26th 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

catgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant future
Default New Zealand Navy - copied from Intros

Hello!! Hope someone can help. My husband has his notice in for the RN. We have now become sick of england with the crime etc and want to bring up a son who is 20 months some where else and we thought of new zealand!!!
We have some questions and were hoping someone can help. Symon, my husband was wondering how long the return of service is??? And another thing is housing etc! And last of all is it a good decision to transfer as we know there is a wage drop is it equal to cost of living????

Thank you

Catherine and Symon and Joshua
Old May 26th 2008, 10:41 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Navy

Hello and welcome to the forum

Sorry that I can't answer any of your questions but usually someone comes along who can!

Sue
Old May 27th 2008, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Navy - copied from Intros

Hi

I transferred RN to RNZN in 2005 - it's working out OK so far and is certainly an easy way of transitioning between countries while keeping more or less the same job. The relocation package is good, even includes bringing your dog if you have one!
Return of service is currently 3 years, normal practice is for your initial contract to be just long enough to gain citizenship (ie 5 years and a few months), with eligibility for extension based on you gaining citizenship
Service housing is usually available and is very cheap - but be aware that it is pretty basic, even compared to UK service housing. There is currently a move to raise the cost of service housing rent, while at the same time granting an allowance to all service personnel for housing - this will make it fairer between those in various housing types (own home, private rental etc). The other change is to pay majority of the current government pension contribution as a salary raise. These two changes will give an effective salary increase of around 15%.
I wouldn't make the move for financial reasons - you will not be better off based on RNZN pay. However, if you can bring a decent amount of capital, you should be OK. Auckland is a far nicer place to live than most UK naval areas, and the cost of like for like property is significantly lower.
I hope this helps - PM me if you want specific questions answered
Old May 27th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

catgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant futurecatgray has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Zealand Navy - copied from Intros

HI would like to thank everyone for the posts!!