British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Zealand is a nation of rollie smokers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-zealand-nation-rollie-smokers-477888/)

karonious Aug 30th 2007 11:19 am

New Zealand is a nation of rollie smokers

I'm curious.
Since we have been here, I have noticed that many more people seem to smoke rollies than I ever noticed in Britain. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed a difference. It may be the culture of my work, not sure? :confused::blink:
Steve went on to rollies a couple of years ago in an attempt to stop smoking - as did I, the difference being I have actually stopped :cool:

lardyl Aug 30th 2007 11:26 am

Re: New Zealand is a nation of rollie smokers

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5252688)
I'm curious.
Since we have been here, I have noticed that many more people seem to smoke rollies than I ever noticed in Britain. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed a difference. It may be the culture of my work, not sure? :confused::blink:
Steve went on to rollies a couple of years ago in an attempt to stop smoking - as did I, the difference being I have actually stopped :cool:

give me a few more months Karen and I should be able to report back - if I ever get another chance to ask the question that is........ :-((

karonious Aug 30th 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5252721)
give me a few more months Karen and I should be able to report back - if I ever get another chance to ask the question that is........ :-((

Evening bad boy, how are you? Not coughing your lungs up after that rollie then?
I know you don't smoke really, just wanted to tarnish your 'prefect' (and I did mean 'prefect') reputation! :eek::rofl::p

BEVS Aug 30th 2007 11:43 am

That's true, that is :blink:. Anyone that we know who smokes is on the rollies.

lardyl Aug 30th 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5252745)
Evening bad boy, how are you? Not coughing your lungs up after that rollie then?
I know you don't smoke really, just wanted to tarnish your 'prefect' (and I did mean 'prefect') reputation! :eek::rofl::p

sawd off - that job's already taken.........

.....by yours truly!!! :rofl::rofl::p:p:rofl::rofl:

lardyl Aug 30th 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5252810)
That's true, that is :blink:. Anyone that we know who smokes is on the rollies.

how about the "wacky backy"??
seriously I need to know.......it burns at a different rate to the real stuff!!!

kiwi_child Aug 30th 2007 5:59 pm

The move to smoking rollies is due to the ever increasing cost of cigarettes over the years. It's an attempt to cut back on the cost while still being able to get the dreaded nicotine hit. Twenty years ago in NZ, Me and my friends smoked regular cigarettes. A couple or so smoked rollies when they were on the dole.

happynz Aug 30th 2007 6:51 pm

From what I've seen it seems that well over half the number of smokers roll their own.

kato33 Aug 31st 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5252898)
how about the "wacky backy"??
seriously I need to know.......it burns at a different rate to the real stuff!!!

So wacky backy also exists in NZ..........Hmmmmm

lardyl Aug 31st 2007 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5256647)

ever heard of "hydroponics", well in NZ the hobbyist market is so large that there is a chain of retailers who advertise on the TV - havent seen any dodgy plants on the ad yet but you never know...... :-))

lardyl Aug 31st 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5256647)

mmmmm......that's exhaling - are you Bill Clinton??

pass the cigars..........

/ducks/

kato33 Aug 31st 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5256674)
ever heard of "hydroponics", well in NZ the hobbyist market is so large that there is a chain of retailers who advertise on the TV - havent seen any dodgy plants on the ad yet but you never know...... :-))

But it is illegal right???

lardyl Aug 31st 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5256694)
But it is illegal right???

I couldn't possibly say.....
..hobby hydroponics is legal, posession of cannabis is illegal. making your own P is also illegal and dangerous but people still use legal ways to get stuff to make illegal stuff!

kiwi_child Aug 31st 2007 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5254334)
From what I've seen it seems that well over half the number of smokers roll their own.

Exorbitant prices coupled with low wages is bound to produce this sort of thing. Afterall, people still have to pay the bills and put food on the table. I know it would make more sense to give up, but it's an extremely addictive substance and I don't see any govt subsidy on patches or gum or other cessation aids.

Bellasmum Aug 31st 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child (Post 5257436)
Exorbitant prices coupled with low wages is bound to produce this sort of thing. Afterall, people still have to pay the bills and put food on the table. I know it would make more sense to give up, but it's an extremely addictive substance and I don't see any govt subsidy on patches or gum or other cessation aids.

I think Quitline is still an option. I gave up smoking for $5 about 18 months ago

http://www.quit.org.nz./page/index.php