Reload this Page >

New Zealand move whilst at University

New Zealand move whilst at University

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Singh is King is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand move whilst at University

Hi all,

Am looking at moving to NZ (me age 49), with my wife & 2 boys (age 16 & 21), and hopefully 10yr old Border Collie. My question is my eldest is at University on a 4yr degree course, with the 3rd year being a gap year. He's nearly completed the 1st year and we have just applied for his student loan for the 2nd year. How does it work if we move across (which I know won't happen until the borders open), whilst he is still studying. What happens to the Student Loan? Does he have to repay back what he has applied for? Also will the Uni's in NZ let him transfer what he is studying across and what are the costs i.e. if he is classed as an international student? Does it help that my wife's family are all settled in NZ and are citizens & residents.

Any advice & help on this appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand move whilst at University

If you have taken out any loan, you repay it.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you have taken out any loan, you repay it.

Thx SanDiegogirl for your reply. Even if it is student finance? Thought that we would only have to repay a small percentage back.
In terms of moving his course across to something similar that he is doing in the UK could he does this?, And also apply for some sort of student loan like he currently gets?

​​​​
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Singh is King
Thx SanDiegogirl for your reply. Even if it is student finance? Thought that we would only have to repay a small percentage back.​​​​
Student loans have to be paid back in full, same as any other loan - but only once he starts earning a certain amount usually. So he'll just pay it back in instalments from NZ as he would if he was still in the UK. See here for info on what he'll pay, and note that he must tell the SLC that he's moving abroad. https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-stu.../how-you-repay

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 22nd 2021 at 7:03 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thx SanDiegogirl for your reply. Even if it is student finance? Thought that we would only have to repay a small percentage back.
In terms of moving his course across to something similar that he is doing in the UK could he does this?, And also apply for some sort of student loan like he currently gets?

​​​​

Any monetary loan needs to be re-paid, unless there are circumstances in the agreement which provide for special situations where this is not so. I've never hear of student loans being any different to any other loan when it comes to re-paying it.
Why do you think it is different?
If you son is doing a universally recognised course (ie. engineering) then no reason why he would not be able to find one in NZ
Whether or not he would get financial help I don't know.
If you leave the UK without repaying a loan it usually/ inevitably, catch up with you at some point.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

And they will and do track you down if you move overseas
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 9:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Student loans have to be paid back in full, same as any other loan - but only once he starts earning a certain amount usually. So he'll just pay it back in instalments from NZ as he would if he was still in the UK. See here for info on what he'll pay, and note that he must tell the SLC that he's moving abroad. https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-stu.../how-you-repay

HTH.
Yes. Correct Apparently dealing with SLC is an utter nightmare. Pom can expand on this..
For NZ international student fees may well apply. Depends what visa you and your family will hold. That you have relatives already here has no bearing. What visa are you looking at?

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 9:59 pm
`

​​​​

To be very cleat. He must pay back the full amount to the UK as is only right and proper. As per the usual student loan agreement he may pay in instalments BUT he must pay it all.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. Correct Apparently dealing with SLC is an utter nightmare. Pom can expand on this..
For NZ international student fees may well apply. Depends what visa you and your family will hold. That you have relatives already here has no bearing. What visa are you looking at?

Hi Bevs. Visa type is what I need to look at again. My job is a Certified Banker (CCBI). I work for one of the top 5 retail banks. I know there are plenty of retail banking jobs in New Zealand.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 12:09 am
`

Hi Bevs. Visa type is what I need to look at again. My job is a Certified Banker (CCBI). I work for one of the top 5 retail banks. I know there are plenty of retail banking jobs in New Zealand.
There may seem to be the jobs out there but it will depend on other criteria .
I have looked at several job descriptions for banker & banking within the New Zealand skilled shortage lists and none are appearing as being in shortage. In simple words, NZ is not short of NZers to fill or to train for the roles. If you were thinking of a skilled migrant category this would impact on the amount of points to your detriment. You would be unlikely to gain a job offer , especially from overseas.
However several banks operating in NZ are on the NZ immigration accredited employer listing. ASB , BNZ and Westpac for example. This means that if you were chosen as the suitable candidate to take up a vacancy , the bank would be able to offer you the role despite the occupation not being in shortage here in NZ. You would then take up a work to residence visa IF you filled all the criteria. A work to residence visa is just another form of temporary work visa really so care should be taken to ensure residency can be gained through this. Again, gaining the job offer will be the hardest part unless you have something special to offer.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought. Would a 21 year old be eligible to travel under a family visa.
would they still be classed as a dependant child ?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 1:07 am
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
Just a thought. Would a 21 year old be eligible to travel under a family visa.
would they still be classed as a dependant child ?
Yes. That gave me pause also Col.
He would need to remain 'dependant' to be eligible under any family umbrella.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Am looking at moving to NZ (me age 49), with my wife & 2 boys (age 16 & 21), and hopefully 10yr old Border Collie. My question is my eldest is at University on a 4yr degree course, with the 3rd year being a gap year. He's nearly completed the 1st year and we have just applied for his student loan for the 2nd year. How does it work if we move across (which I know won't happen until the borders open), whilst he is still studying. What happens to the Student Loan? Does he have to repay back what he has applied for? Also will the Uni's in NZ let him transfer what he is studying across and what are the costs i.e. if he is classed as an international student? Does it help that my wife's family are all settled in NZ and are citizens & residents.

Any advice & help on this appreciated.
It has been many years since I was at University so I realise it is quite possible things have changed and I am out-of-date but I really cannot imagine that your eldest would be able to continue the degree course that they started at an institution in one country at different institution in New Zealand.

If the institution providing the degree has got used to everything being done remotely by now due to lockdown restrictions then I can see that your eldest may be able to complete the study for their course from New Zealand because the internet connectivity in the cities here is petty good but of course the question would be if they were in New Zealand would they then be an 'overseas student' and pay higher course fees accordingly or will the British taxpayers still be happy to subsidise them?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

He shpould stay and complete his studies in the UK. Mind you he is an adult and should be making adult decisions for himself. Unlikely that NZ Goverenment will offer him a loan to study in NZ.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

There is no mechanism for transferring his year of study to a NZ course. He would have to start a new course from the beginning.

Fees would be about 40,000 NZD a year for engineering as an international student

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.