New Zealand life

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:48 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand life

Just wondered what peoples day to day life are like in New Zealand compared to their old Uk life.

Such as when you come home from work.

In my house have tea then watch tv or DVD then bed.

In summer its a little different. Weather permitting
Come home have BBQ kids play outside, about 8 ish kids to bed, us watching tv. Great That happens how many times a year

Have you found that your new life in New Zealand as dramatically changed your day to day routines?

Jack
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:58 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand life

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Just wondered what peoples day to day life are like in New Zealand compared to their old Uk life.

Come home have BBQ kids play outside, about 8 ish kids to bed, us watching tv. Great That happens how many times a year

Have you found that your new life in New Zealand as dramatically changed your day to day routines?

Jack
I can't comment on New Zealand, but I was wondering about the 'Australian Culture vs British Culture' subject that as being debated on this forum this week, as I was battling my way to Bunnings and Coles today. Either the Australians spend a lot of their leisure time shopping for food and DIY items or there are a lot of Brit expats in Morley.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:04 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I just wonder if there is any difference in lifestyles once the novelty wears off.

Jack
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:13 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wonder if there is any difference in lifestyles once the novelty wears off.

Jack
Personally I think for many the routine of work, shopping, domestic chores, eating sleeping just continues in a different place.

I think that most of us have the capacity to change our lives for the better, and to do that doesn't necessarily mean having to live in a different country.

Our routine is different as neither of us have got jobs in OZ, but the basic aily routine stays the same. We didn't want to fall into what for us would be a trap of living the same lives in a different place. Not that we were unhappy with our lives but we made this move to reach out for something different.

And touring Oz in a van will be different.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack
My cousins went to Perth 12 years ago.
They started to `live`, having bbqs, friends over, parties ets.
we visited last chrimbo and they are still the same now
Old Jan 15th 2004, 5:32 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Jack

Have to say that Mon-Fri life is pretty similar. It is after all dictated by work/school and early bedtimes for the kids etc. I do find TV here is a bit dull and now often read in the evenings.
As for the weekends well we are are lot more active. In the summer we love going to the speedway. Take the kids, blankets, coffee and snacks sit on a grass bank and watch all sorts off cars tearing round a clay track till 10.30pm. We often have impromtu BBQ's with half the street invited or at a neighbours. Biking round the forest or a day on the beach.
The winter is a bit more limiting havent tried skiing yet but would like to. This winter would hope to go sledging have made a few more friends since last winter so now know the best places. I really like a walk on the beach in winter all wrapped up really bracing!

Paula
Old Jan 15th 2004, 6:18 pm
Banned

Hi Paula

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there is a difference in the way that North and South Islanders live their day to day lives?

Do the few degrees differenec in temprature change the way people live?

Too many daft questions I know

Jack

Last edited by Jack Daws; Jan 16th 2004 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't really give you a good answer as we haven't got jobs yet. But judging by the traffic, in Dunedin it's pretty much 9-5 for everybody in 'normal' jobs.

We are constantly out and about, eg yesterday we walked 5 kms round trip (even my 3 year old managed it) to get to a good beach for penguins then went down a rough old track in the badass 4WD to see more penguins coming in, I reckon we were out walking and watching from 3.45pm until 10pm. That's pretty normal for us, though we usually start earlier (son's kindergarten gets in the way).
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:20 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

aside from activities and places to visit on weekends or holidays I don't think my day to day life is that different.

although as a school kid I used to walk home from school along the beach, and then often go for an evening swim in the sea in summer (in auckland)

rather than day to day life it is the overall environment I prefer - the fact that your commute to work might be through relatively beautiful locations, not the M40 - your lunch break might be at the beach, or by a beautiful river - etc etc.

If very much depends on where you live and work however - and make no mistake - day to day life of work and sitting in front of TV is very much alive and well - just with a different backdrop to life.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:39 pm
Banned

Thanks for your replies.

As someone once posted same sh#t different bucket.

I suppose back here in the UK we kind of think that once we get out there we will change.

Finnish school/work go down the beach for a walk/swim, go home have a BBQ and a drink. The kids will play outside in the garden 'cos the weathers nice then bed. Weekends will be spent out in parks/beaches or garden ect. Sounds like its a rose tinted view. We never think that the house and car need cleaning ect.

Does anyone live the "Rose tinted life"?

Jack
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:02 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Finnish school/work go down the beach for a walk/swim, go home have a BBQ and a drink.
well yes, possible in summer - but you probably won't feel like doing this EVERY night.

The kids will play outside in the garden 'cos the weathers nice then bed.
possibly - but don't think your kids will suddenly give up the playstation and the TV. NZ kids like those things too!

Weekends will be spent out in parks/beaches or garden ect.
quite possibly, on nice days....
Old Jan 16th 2004, 2:37 pm
Banned

Like I said I think that sometimes we look through rose tinted glasses. The things that we dream dont always workout like that 'cos everyday life gets in the way. Oh and PS2

Jack
Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:40 am
Judy&Alun

Dodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant future

It's been different for us!
We get to spend more time together as a family and if the kids get there act together after tea we go for an pre bed-time stroll along the beach.
More than that though what i've noticed more than anything is Alun is a new man he's not the man i married,he's more relaxed and he laughs more than he ever did in the uk.
The most shocking thing is that he actually wants to go to work
I can honestly say that life for the dodson family is soooo much better than it was in the uk.
A & J
Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:47 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Dodsonfamily
It's been different for us!
We get to spend more time together as a family and if the kids get there act together after tea we go for an pre bed-time stroll along the beach.
More than that though what i've noticed more than anything is Alun is a new man he's not the man i married,he's more relaxed and he laughs more than he ever did in the uk.
The most shocking thing is that he actually wants to go to work
I can honestly say that life for the dodson family is soooo much better than it was in the uk.
A & J
This is what I hope we achieve as a family, gosh and if I get a new husband into the bargain !!!

Jill

Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:53 am
Judy&Alun

Dodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant future

It's brill he get's up makes the coffee and walks to work like agood un.
to say he's a new man is an undestatement he even gets on better with the kids,he isn't shouting half as much as he used to.
The time we get to spend together is of quality and not like the ships we were back in the uk.
In the uk we survived now we live
A&J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.