Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

new zealand,let me in

new zealand,let me in

Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

fido is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new zealand,let me in

well, having read the recent posts i'm still convinced its the the place for me my partner and two kids,we are planning a holiday in october,my mate went to live out there early 2002,lives in whangarie.whilst over there gonna pass on my cv and stuff,hoping to make a few contacts, anyone got a job?
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:26 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you do for a living?
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by rickandkara
What do you do for a living?
hi ya, i,m a fitter [mechanical] but served my time as a plater/welder,[the heavy stuff,yuk] but for the past 18years turned to fitting,much better,i do a lot of contracting with a company in melton mowbray,did a few shutdowns up near you in wigan at the heinz factory a number of years ago,my digs were in leigh,
ready for a move now my friend,i want my children to grow up in what must be a far better place than england,we are going to have a holiday first,going to cost a bit but no pain no gain, how long will it take for you to get the nod of approval?
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:46 pm
New Zealand Bound

We 've only just started applying, we're gathering all the information together at the moment.

My husband is a sheet metal fabricator and welder (I think this is similar to what you do). We are applying under the general skills catagory.
We've applied for the police reports 2 weeks ago.
Applied for a copy of my husband's city and guilds certificate (2 weeks ago).
Just need one more reference for the proof of employment.
We're booked in for our medicals on the 17th of June.
Then hopefully we will be lodging the application around the end of June beginning of July.
We've never been to New Zealand but Rick has a uncle in Hamilton. We decided that rather than spend the money on a holiday and see what it was like we would just go for it.

Kara
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Default good for you

i wish you well,the time isn't right just yet for us to make the big move ,wish it was, good luck in your application,please keep us imformed of your prgress,we are thinking of the north island,i'd prefer the south but she who must be obeyed says NO so the north it is,what area are you hoping to move to?,if your there before us lets us what area you are in,you never know whist we are touring around might be able to have a pint!
take care and thanks for the replies,its nice to know we are not alone,any imfo that comes my way that might interest you i'll post it on. off to bed now but will log in most nights from now on. see ya later.and good luck
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

deddog is an unknown quantity at this point

Recent events have also convinced me and my wife to act upon a long held wish for a "different" life and New Zealand is (and has always been) right at the top of our list.
My wife is a nurse and a midwife so she should be ok getting a job, I on the other hand have a lot of experience but no qualifications and expect to find it hard to get work but I'll give anything a go.
The equity in our present home should enable us to buy a nice home with little or no mortgage so hopefully my search for employment will not be too urgent.
A big factor in our decision are our girls who are 14 and 16 and their continuing education.
We are presently toying with the idea of a exploratory trip at the end of July and will probably confine our search to the north island as we are limited to two weeks.
Like others on this forum the girls say they dont want to go for the usual reasons (friends etc) but I dont think they would find the move too traumatic, anyway I'm sure you'll here from me again.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by fido
hi ya, i,m a fitter [mechanical] but served my time as a plater/welder,[the heavy stuff,yuk] but for the past 18years turned to fitting,much better,i do a lot of contracting with a company in melton mowbray,did a few shutdowns up near you in wigan at the heinz factory a number of years ago,my digs were in leigh,
ready for a move now my friend,i want my children to grow up in what must be a far better place than england,we are going to have a holiday first,going to cost a bit but no pain no gain, how long will it take for you to get the nod of approval?
Someone just posted on the immigration forum about jobs in NZ. He's over there now having interviews, said New Plymouth is desperate for welders if interested..

Gra..
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Gra.B
Someone just posted on the immigration forum about jobs in NZ. He's over there now having interviews, said New Plymouth is desperate for welders if interested..

Gra..
hi ya,many thanks for the info
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by deddog
Recent events have also convinced me and my wife to act upon a long held wish for a "different" life and New Zealand is (and has always been) right at the top of our list.
My wife is a nurse and a midwife so she should be ok getting a job, I on the other hand have a lot of experience but no qualifications and expect to find it hard to get work but I'll give anything a go.
The equity in our present home should enable us to buy a nice home with little or no mortgage so hopefully my search for employment will not be too urgent.
A big factor in our decision are our girls who are 14 and 16 and their continuing education.
We are presently toying with the idea of a exploratory trip at the end of July and will probably confine our search to the north island as we are limited to two weeks.
Like others on this forum the girls say they dont want to go for the usual reasons (friends etc) but I dont think they would find the move too traumatic, anyway I'm sure you'll here from me again.
good luck deddog,my two girls are only 3 and 5 so it shouldn't be a real problem for us on that front,
Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gra.B If you only have 2 weks to spare it probably isn't worth you spending a lot of money visiting. holidays are never like "real life" and if you've half decided you want to move anyway you'll probably see it all through rose tinted glasses anyway.
If it's factual info you want it's all obtainable through the internet etc. and you can be assured that NZ looks just like the pretty pictures that are readilly available!
We visited for 11 days and it just wasn't long enough to get a true feel for the place.
We've lived here 23 months now and I would just recommend that you rent when you first move here then you can have a proper look and decide where you want to buy.
Just my experience but hope it helps !
Old Jun 10th 2003, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

deddog is an unknown quantity at this point

If you only have 2 weks to spare it probably isn't worth you spending a lot of money visiting. holidays are never like "real life" and if you've half decided you want to move anyway you'll probably see it all through rose tinted glasses anyway.
I realise that we won't get a clear picture of true NZ life but I would find it difficult to convince myself, let alone the wife and kids, of the wisdom of moving to a country we have never seen for ourselves. I'm far too much of a coward for such a gamble these days.:scared:
Blowing a few grand is something we're going to have to do just for our own sanity.
As for the rose tinted glasses, I broke mine a long time ago.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:04 pm
New Zealand Bound

Default Re: good for you

Originally posted by fido
i wish you well,the time isn't right just yet for us to make the big move ,wish it was, good luck in your application,please keep us imformed of your prgress,we are thinking of the north island,i'd prefer the south but she who must be obeyed says NO so the north it is,what area are you hoping to move to?,if your there before us lets us what area you are in,you never know whist we are touring around might be able to have a pint!
take care and thanks for the replies,its nice to know we are not alone,any imfo that comes my way that might interest you i'll post it on. off to bed now but will log in most nights from now on. see ya later.and good luck
The time is never right its like saving to have children you can never afford them.
We will keep in touch as iv never turned down an offer of a pint
and i will keep you updated on the progress of are application
Old Jun 10th 2003, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

philangst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default try before you buy

I am trying to persuade the wife we just ought to go for it without a visit to NZ (cost issues really.Me+wife+2kids=expensive holiday) but as she will be the bread winner at least initially, she has final say!!