Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand: Land of Oppertunity

New Zealand: Land of Oppertunity

Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile New Zealand: Land of Opportunity

As a counterbalance to my thread about NZRB rates which is quite negative and alarming (somewhat not entirely my doing) I would take stock of the "state of the nation" in a broader sense with some up-to-date facts and a few sneaky late-night drinks.

Firstly it seems that, while we are not very equal/egalitarian, this is still a place where your income is little tied to the family you where born into:

In some real sense this is still a place where someone can strive to make something of themselves.

In important economic indicators like R&D spending we are catching up with the OECD and incomes in New Zealand have showed slight growth whereas many of the more developed OECD nations have shown none or negative growth (according to the IMF we now, for instance, outrank Spain and Italy in GDP-PPP and could pass the OECD average in the next few years and possibly therefore the UK). This is aided in part by the New Zealand dollar accumulating in value but not damaging export earnings.

New Zealands debt to gdp ratio is less than a half that of the UK and a third that of the U.S. which means little chance of austerity.

Despite being dumped by Petrobras for deepwater drilling it appears our energy exports are to increase significantly due to new finds and there is an increasing interest in new test drilling in shallow and onshore locations.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Apr 7th 2013 at 1:43 am. Reason: Spelling police changed title
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:45 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand: Land of Oppertunity

I can't see NZ or Oz going down the tubes all the while that we have exports to export and demand driven by developing companies.

When and if that demand drops off, we may well be 6 feet under anyway.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Zealand: Land of Oppertunity

If an exports collapse gets that big everybody in the west is wiped out anyway.

Most of the threat to New Zealands economy is internal at the moment (as posted on another thread). Overall though people are being overly negative about the situation here, I just wanted to make a post that pointed out in the big picture things are actually going our way..
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:14 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
If an exports collapse gets that big everybody in the west is wiped out anyway.

Most of the threat to New Zealands economy is internal at the moment (as posted on another thread). Overall though people are being overly negative about the situation here, I just wanted to make a post that pointed out in the big picture things are actually going our way..
All true. Lots of moans about Oz being in strife too. I don't see it around me at all.

I think some people aren't happy unless they are moaning about something.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:04 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to be rude but is New Zealand as dull and parochial as Canada?

Last edited by Oink; Apr 12th 2013 at 4:22 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: New Zealand: Land of Oppertunity

I've never been to Canada but New Zealand is behind in some social and employment aspects when compared to the UK but overall it's quite favorable in most areas of comparison.